Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest NFL Player ever.

slinky

Walter Payton.

I always admired him and now I am watching a special on ESPN... showing high school & college highlights and all and just amazing. And also possibly one of the greatest people to ever play football.

My Redskins need a team of guys with his heart, passion and determination.

Missed just ONE game in 13 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6slzrjBxxk

A quote by Walter Payton after being diagnosed, "Most important thought, if you love someone, tell him or her, for you never know what tomorrow may have in store. Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one."

Walter_Payton_link.jpg

Walter%20Payton3.jpg

Walter%20Payton2.jpg

9b_1_b.JPG

I still think Joe Montana... but other notables in my mind are Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Johnny Unitas, and Jerry Rice.

I laugh at people who say Emmitt Smith. He wasn't even the best player of his era... or even the best player of his era at his position.

Payton had all the qualities that you want in a player and in a man. He was tenacious and was a great blocker, and was also a man of great generosity and integrity. He was adept at turning the tables on would-be tacklers, rarely running out of bounds. He should have won the Heisman but came from a small school. Archie Griffin won instead (again). It's tough to argue against Payton.

Barry Sanders, sucks he was never really given anything to work with. Imagine him on the mid-late 90's Broncos teams. He would've had a few 3,000 yard seasons probably and the crazy thing is, it really isn't that outlandish to think about.

Wasn't able to see all the players alot of you were fortunate enough to see, but even when I was young, Sanders was phenomenal to watch. Good thing the Skins had his number. Elway was pretty damn good too, I hated him, but he was insanely good.

Of the modern era? Jerry Rice. It's been 10-15 years since he was in his prime and even now his numbers are so far ahead of any of his contemporaries it's downright scary. If you subtracted his numbers from the next best WR in any given category, you'd have 448 catches, 7961 yards, and 67 TDs. Those are better numbers than several Hall of Famers.

Of the pre-superbowl era? Sammy Baugh. :D

I had this argument at work the other day. This young punk said "Do you think L.T. is the greatest running back ever?" I'm like, "No friggin' way....Sweetness was the best I've seen". He was still going off on L.T. I don't see it.

My wife says Barry Sanders, but only because she's a Lions girl.

Walter Payton was and still is the best running back I've seen.

People are saying Sammy Baugh in the pre-SB era as the overall best, but Johnny U was pretty doggone good.

I had this argument at work the other day. This young punk said "Do you think L.T. is the greatest running back ever?" I'm like, "No friggin' way....Sweetness was the best I've seen". He was still going off on L.T. I don't see it.

My wife says Barry Sanders, but only because she's a Lions girl.

Walter Payton was and still is the best running back I've seen.

People are saying Sammy Baugh in the pre-SB era as the overall best, but Johnny U was pretty doggone good.

If we are talking RBs, I'd definately say Sweetness. LT is definately on his way to taking his place right next to guys like Payton, Smith and Brown, though. He is that good.

Sammy Baugh held every QB passing record when he retired and is usually ranked in the top five QBs of all time. Additionally was also a top CB who could have got into the hall for what he did in that position. And topping it off he is the best punter in NFL history with all his major punting records still standing. I'd say he is in the running as the best overall NFL player.

Archived