Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Larry Michael said on "Redskins Nation" on Tuesday that the team would likely be announcing an 80th Alternative Uniform on May 10th, along with various other 80th anniversary items of interest. I don't have a link, but I watch the show pretty much everyday.

I saw the same thing... can't wait.

As much as I hate the Ravens, their black on black uniforms are awesome.

So you like the "leotard look?" I hate when the Ravens and Saints were the stripeless pants. The Ravens primary color is Purple. Black is a secondary color. Hell, black is not even a secondary color with the Redskins and that's why I don't want us wearing black.

---------- Post added April-5th-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

Exactly. I'm so excited to see what these uniforms look like, but it seems like most people here are practically on suicide watch

Oh I'll do it man. I'll end it all if we even have a hint of black uniforms.

:pfft::ols:

You sound like George Preston Marshall. In fact, why don't we keep all of his traditions.....

I think for an alternate and as a change of pace (AND so long as it contains B & G on the uni) than that is more than fine. In fact, the black one with the feather on my leg is rediculous. As I've said, it's probably the coldest uniform I've ever seen.

Are you seriously calling me a racist right now? Not cool.

And to answer your point, black uniforms have been done so often that it's boring. It's overplayed. Why anyone would want them is ridiculous.

Edited by fullnelson9999

Not as ugly as us wearing black. I hate the black uniform trend in football. Overdone, overused and idiotic when your primary color is not black (looking at you Detroit, Philly and Baltimore)
It doesn't have to be all black. Take a look at this picture. I wouldn't mind a concept like this one. We can easily do something like this and just replace what you see in black and make it a dark burgandy instead. I love how huge the Redskins logo is on the helmet, it just screams at you. I also love the huge feather down the leg and right arm band. I'm so tired of the typical vertical stripe that every jersey currently has. [ATTACH]46538[/ATTACH] Edited by dnpmakkah

And to answer your point, black uniforms have been done so often that it's boring. It's overplayed. Why anyone would want them is ridiculous.

Agreed. Black is played out. It's nothing short of boring now. It stopped looking cool a long time ago.

---------- Post added April-5th-2012 at 05:16 PM ----------

It doesn't have to be all black. Take a look at this picture. I wouldn't mind a concept like this one. We can easily do something like this and just replace what you see in black and make it a dark burgandy instead. I love how huge the Redskins logo is on the helmet, it just screams at you. I also love the huge feather down the leg and right arm band. I'm so tired of the typical vertical stripe that every jersey currently has. [ATTACH]46538[/ATTACH]

Dude you can't seriously like that do you? I would be nothing short of embarrassed if those were our uni's.

I personally like the color black & think adding some as a trim color could enhance the skinz uniforms. If done properly and tastefully, it could also help better tie in the current helmet design (which has black around the feathers and in the logo) with the jerseys and pants, which have no black.

Also, it would not be the first time black was used in a Redskins uniform. I found some images of early/mid 1930's jerseys with black collars & stripes on the sleeves. Granted, they were the Boston Redskins at this time, but they were still the the Redskins, and we acknowledge this period in our history (see 70th & 75th anniversary patches) so it wouldn't be adding black "for black's sake" IMO.

On the debate of light vs. dark burgundy: one could also make the argument that the lighter shade of burgundy which we currently wear is also an original color (see the feathers in the Indian logo).

jersey2-1.jpg

edwards-1.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Larry Michael said on "Redskins Nation" on Tuesday that the team would likely be announcing an 80th Alternative Uniform on May 10th, along with various other 80th anniversary items of interest. I don't have a link, but I watch the show pretty much everyday.

This has me excited and worried. Anniversary uniforms are generally ugly imo. I was hoping for more of a modern/alternative. Either way, can't wait to see what it is.

I have an original newspaper page that has a large article on the 1937 championship game with Baugh, Andy Farkas, and Wayne Milner all pictured in a photo together celebrating after the game. They were wearing numbered jersies and the NA logo on the sleeve.

This photo is from the 1936 NFL championship so they had numbers as least by 1936:

P2032.jpg

Yeah '37, but they were still wearing the 1933 uniforms when he was drafted.
That's interesting, because look at the bottom of this link.

http://www.gridironuniforms.com/redskins.html

Interesting. So I guess the Redskins were still in the process of making uniform changes in '37. Maybe this was taken early in the season. :whoknows:

http://www.shorpy.com/Sammy-Baugh

Sammy_Baugh_medium.jpg

No, I'm not calling you a racist... but you go back and re-read your post and it could easily be taken out of context.

I'm saying that it won't be the end of the world if the Redskins have a black uniform. In fact, I think it will be cool. I personally don't understand where all of the hate is coming from. If it fires up the players, and they have a "blackout" at the stadium, that'd be really cool.

I'm not sure where it came from that everyone who supports black uniforms is not a traditionalist or a real fan of the team.

And we're also talking about uniforms that have been worn since the 1970's here, in some aspects. Looooong before the blackouts were even thought of.

The players on this team have never had a chance to wear an alternate uniform, if they like it, let them wear it, if they don't, we'll hear it from them.

Edited by DC9

Guest Spearfeather
I'm saying that it won't be the end of the world if the Redskins have a black uniform. In fact, I think it will be cool. I personally don't understand where all of the hate is coming from. If it fires up the players, and they have a "blackout" at the stadium, that'd be really cool.

And we're also talking about uniforms that have been worn since the 1970's here, in some aspects. Looooong before the blackouts were even thought of.

The players on this team have never had a chance to wear an alternate uniform, if they like it, let them wear it, if they don't, we'll hear it from them.

Bruce Allen has stated as far as the uniforms:

Well, first of all, I'm a traditionalist," Allen said, which should end the black uniform talk. "I'm very proud of the Redskins uniform, and I'm very proud of our helmet. I'm talking to Coach Shanahan about some ideas that we have of utilizing our colors that we're very proud of. But other than that, we're gonna stick to our historic base.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/bruce_allen_no_black_uniforms.html

That was a couple of years ago. I doubt he's changed his mind.

And as far as the alternate for this year: Why would our 80th anniversay alternate, be anything other than a throwback?

Edited by Spearfeather

I think our uniforms should be: burgundy jerseys/gold pants as the home uniform and gold jersey/burgundy pants for away uniform. And the arrow on the shoulder would be nice. I guess we're going with the same helmets. Like the burgundy and gold shoes.

No white, no black.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

I think these would be awesome alternates.

A custom, but modernized 1970's Lombardi Redskins uni's.

If the alternates aren't based off of a combination of the uniforms from the 1930's then they should forget it. It's the 80th anniversary.....I want our guys looking like Sammy Baugh & Cliff Battles on game day, sans the leather helmets. ;)

---------- Post added April-7th-2012 at 01:12 PM ----------

Those of you that want to keep the gold pants, are you talking about our current color, which is more yellow like or gold like what Baylor had on their jerseys?

No not the current shade. We need to go back to the Gulden's mustard gold from the 70's. Not the current French's yellow.

edit: Yes, like the Sonny pic you had in your post.

Edited by HogNose

Wow, today I learned, in 1942 the Redskins had blue in their uniforms.

As far as he alternates, we've had throw backs of the very early years (plain burgundy helmet), the late 60's Sonny years (spear), the Lombardi years (yellow "R" McDonalds unis), I think we are gonna go with a version of the 59-64 feather helmets....which personally I love.

:bluesbros:Interesting use of black, MLSkins. The only thing that I might do differently is make the jersey numerals match the same lettering style that is used for REDSKINS on everything (such as endzone lettering, the EXTREMESKINS logo at the top, and such). For the helmet, I still like the style they wore from about 1961 to 1965, the deep maroon helmet with the blank sides and feather running down the center of the helmet. A forgotten classic!!

---------- Post added April-7th-2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

[quote

As far as he alternates, we've had throw backs of the very early years (plain burgundy helmet), the late 60's Sonny years (spear), the Lombardi years (yellow "R" McDonalds unis), I think we are gonna go with a version of the 59-64 feather helmets....which personally I love.

I totally agree, CliffBattles. Granted, the team wasn't very good at that time, but the helmet style is a forgotten classic!!!:bluesbros::

Edited by jmj086

Wow, today I learned, in 1942 the Redskins had blue in their uniforms.

Interesting story about the blue uniforms. Theories were thrown around that they could have been borrowed from the Brooklyn Dodgers or maybe the Giants.

Yesterday, we told you about the Washington Redskins wearing blue for a game in 1942 in Brooklyn against the Dodgers. After looking at the picture on that page from the first scan I had, I had believed that the runner, Dick Todd, was visible with three stripes on his arms, similar to the Dodgers' stripe patterns, and that they were a darker gray than the three stripes on the Brooklyn defender on the left side of the picture.

After looking at a better scan of the image, however, I came to believe Bill Schaefer's explanation of the image, Therefore, it is our determination that the 1942 Redskins were not "borrowing" the Dodgers' blue back-up unis, in place of their secondary set, but rather that they just decided to try blue, instead of the white that they had apparently last used in 1940. Our website historian, Tim Brulia, weighed in with this observation:

"I think the Skins are wearing blue jerseys modeled after the normal maroons. If they were wearing stripes on the jerseys, I think [Arthur] Daley would have made mention of it. In my times scanning the game write-ups in the NY Times, Daley - way more than the other beat writers on the Times staff - would make mention of jersey colors.

We are going to see navy vs navy with many Packers-Bears games, some blue vs blue with the Rams and Lions, and some maroon-red with the Skins and Dodgers in the 30's & 40's. BUT for sure, there were two instances of the Redskins wearing non-maroon with Redskin heads on the sleeves, and this instance in 1942. This shot is not conclusive as to what Dick Todd is wearing here. Thus, [we should] play it safe until (or if) we ever get a better pic from this game.

As for what teams packed for road trips, normally the visiting team had to wear the secondary jerseys...but not always. In the early 50's, The Skins wore their normal maroons to Pittsburgh, and it was the Steelers who had to switch to secondary whites."

Bill posits another possible alternative theory: "Could the Redskins have been wearing the Giants blue tops?" Well, the Giants were in Chicago (to play the navy-clad Bears) that day and assuming they only took their red uniforms with them, and assuming someone was around in New York with access to the blue uniforms, I still think it would have been unlikely that by the time that the Redskins realized they would have a need to borrow them, they would have gone to the effort of trying to procure them, when if they were in need of "emergency" alternate uniforms and were stuck having to use a non-Redskins color like blue, it would have been much easier to borrow the Dodgers' duds right there at Ebbets than to try to get uniforms from way uptown at the Polo Grounds down to Brooklyn. As Occam's razor indicates, the simplest solution is usually the correct one (or something like that) so it's probably just that the Redskins wanted to try out blue for their backup kit that year. But what shade of blue was it? Was it navy or a bright "Giants" blue? Or a honolulu blue like the Lions? Well the newspaper image was pretty dark, so it was probably something closer to navy (besides that would probably look good with the Redskins helmet and pants colors) but with no real leads other than Daley's write up, all we know is "blue."

Another discovery to come out of this was the helmets of the Dodgers. In the database we had the 1940-42 Dodgers as having the "spider" helmet pattern, however, after seeing this picture, it appears that at least on this day in 1942 the Dodgers were wearing a variation known as the "cross" pattern. There is, however, no reason to specifically believe that the 1940-41 Dodgers didn't wear both, or only wore the cross pattern. Our final determination on this is still being discussed.

http://nfluniforms.blogspot.com/2011/06/hail-to-redskins.html

Those of you that want to keep the gold pants, are you talking about our current color, which is more yellow like or gold like what Baylor had on their jerseys?

Gold. As in "Burgundy & Gold." Not the current "Burgundy & Mustard."

Hail to the Redskins -- in their Burgundy & Mustard. :rolleyes: