Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

God bless Tony Kornheiser...

Dirk Diggler

If he could drive JT right out of the booth, it would be one less headache-inducing blowhard at ESPN.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ON FURTHER REVIEW, WE LOVE TONY

Though we don't know whether ESPN's Tony Kornheiser stuck it to Joey Sunshine on Monday night for his 180-degree reversal regarding Terrell Owens, a bought of insomnia had us tuning back in for garbage time of the Packers-Bengals game. In so doing, we witnessed an exchange that, in light of our new mission to persuade the folks in Bristol to relieve Joe Theismann of his duties, has caused us to pull a 180 of our own regarding Kornheiser, who given that he was in Cincinnati will be dubbed "Kornholer" for the remainder of this specific item.

After Cincinnati receiver Reggie McNeal caught a touchdown pass from Doug Johnson, a discussion ensued regarding college quarterbacks who become wideouts at the next level.

Here is, verbatim, the key portion of the conversation regarding the requirements for a successful conversion. (Thank you, TiVo.)

Sunshine: I think you need a guy who's short, vertically challenged, maybe five-foot-nine, five-foot-ten with a lot of 'quicks' that can double as a kick returner. Those are the guys that can transition into professional football. To come in and just try and play the wide receiver position --

Kornholer (incredulous): He has to be short?

Sunshine: Well --

Kornholer: This is a prerequisite, to be short?

Sunshine: I think you need to be short and quick. I think that gives you an opportunity --

Kornholer: What if you were big and quick?

Sunshine: You don't have the 'quicks' when you're that tall.

Kornholer: Correct me if I'm wrong because you watch a lot more college football than I did [Editor's note: Tony, you'd make a great lawyer], wasn't there a quarterback recently from Arkansas who was the quarterback who then became a wide receiver in the NFL?

Tirico: Matt Jones.

Kornholer: Matt Jones, right? And he's big. Big and quick.

Sunshine: But not at the kick returning position.

Kornholer: (Makes barely audible noise connoting "Is this guy f--king serious?")

Sunshine: No.

Tirico (wisely changing the subject): It's 48 to 17. . . .

Tony, you've found your niche. It's to call out Joey Sunshine wherever and whenever he says something stupid. That's your calling. Your destiny. Through your weekly badgering of Theismann, he'll eventually be exposed for the fraud that he is, or he'll quietly resign and find a fifth-tier gig on CBS where the play-by-play man doesn't have the brains or the will to thoroughly and completely dismantle his stupid-ass assertions.

So thanks, Tony. We underestimated you. And we're rooting for you to mentally do to Theismann every Monday night that which Lawrence Taylor accomplished only once physically.

So thanks, Tony. We underestimated you. And we're rooting for you to mentally do to Theismann every Monday night that which Lawrence Taylor accomplished only once physically.

I kind of wished I'd have stayed up for that now. I'm not a fan of either guy, although I'd prefer TK because he doesn't effuse man-love for the players the way JT does. When a receiver runs out of bounds with 15 seconds left to stop the clock, JT acts as if the receiver just solved the nuclear fusion problem.

"He's is such a wonderfully smart guy! Look at how he runs a 5 and out and then keeps running out of bounds."

Poor Tirico having to sit between the two.

Joey T sat near me on an airplane when I was a little kid. He was unbelievably nice to me and went out of his way to make me feel like I mattered to him... I therefore am immune to ever disliking him. I'm glad Joe is still around.:logo:

I really got no problem with Joe Theismann and don't see why so many people do. I'm sure he's a bit full of himself but he does fine on tv and tries hard.

I guess when the 2-8 Saints were at the Jets last year and he said that Jim Haslett should be coach of the year, it kind of took the cake. But if you enjoy that kind of non-sensicle fluff on the boobtube...

I'd say Theismann is basically right. How many other Matt Jones' QB to WR conversions have there been? None? Besides, Jones hasn't exactly lit up the league yet. Most of the guys that come up and convert from QB to WR are smaller QBs that ran a lot in college.

If he could drive JT right out of the booth, it would be one less headache-inducing blowhard at ESPN.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ON FURTHER REVIEW, WE LOVE TONY

Though we don't know whether ESPN's Tony Kornheiser stuck it to Joey Sunshine on Monday night for his 180-degree reversal regarding Terrell Owens, a bought of insomnia had us tuning back in for garbage time of the Packers-Bengals game. In so doing, we witnessed an exchange that, in light of our new mission to persuade the folks in Bristol to relieve Joe Theismann of his duties, has caused us to pull a 180 of our own regarding Kornheiser, who given that he was in Cincinnati will be dubbed "Kornholer" for the remainder of this specific item.

After Cincinnati receiver Reggie McNeal caught a touchdown pass from Doug Johnson, a discussion ensued regarding college quarterbacks who become wideouts at the next level.

Here is, verbatim, the key portion of the conversation regarding the requirements for a successful conversion. (Thank you, TiVo.)

Sunshine: I think you need a guy who's short, vertically challenged, maybe five-foot-nine, five-foot-ten with a lot of 'quicks' that can double as a kick returner. Those are the guys that can transition into professional football. To come in and just try and play the wide receiver position --

Kornholer (incredulous): He has to be short?

Sunshine: Well --

Kornholer: This is a prerequisite, to be short?

Sunshine: I think you need to be short and quick. I think that gives you an opportunity --

Kornholer: What if you were big and quick?

Sunshine: You don't have the 'quicks' when you're that tall.

Kornholer: Correct me if I'm wrong because you watch a lot more college football than I did [Editor's note: Tony, you'd make a great lawyer], wasn't there a quarterback recently from Arkansas who was the quarterback who then became a wide receiver in the NFL?

Tirico: Matt Jones.

Kornholer: Matt Jones, right? And he's big. Big and quick.

Sunshine: But not at the kick returning position.

Kornholer: (Makes barely audible noise connoting "Is this guy f--king serious?")

Sunshine: No.

Tirico (wisely changing the subject): It's 48 to 17. . . .

Tony, you've found your niche. It's to call out Joey Sunshine wherever and whenever he says something stupid. That's your calling. Your destiny. Through your weekly badgering of Theismann, he'll eventually be exposed for the fraud that he is, or he'll quietly resign and find a fifth-tier gig on CBS where the play-by-play man doesn't have the brains or the will to thoroughly and completely dismantle his stupid-ass assertions.

Like somebody else said, Joe likes to hear himself talk, but he knows the game and does a good job as an analyst.

Diggler, the last sentence in your little rant about Theisman was really pitiful. Feeling good about somebody getting their leg snapped in half is about as low as a person can get. A real man would not stoop so low. I hope this made you feel better about yourself.............:doh:

I'd say Theismann is basically right. How many other Matt Jones' QB to WR conversions have there been? None? Besides, Jones hasn't exactly lit up the league yet. Most of the guys that come up and convert from QB to WR are smaller QBs that ran a lot in college.

Drew Bennett is the best former QB WR in the NFL right now.

I think you are way off base...

I personally like JOey T's assessment of the game. I'm not looking for cute fancy eneqdotes during games...I want X's and O's from someone credible.

JOe Theismann Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are joking right? Joe Thiesman is a bloat. If you poked him with a pin he would fly all across the room like a popped balloon. All the hot air stored up in that guy could heat Bratislava for a decade of winters. The only thing worse than Thiesman was Thiesman with Patrick and that Walrus looking doof, the team from SNF last year. They should cut the booth to Mike Tirico and Tony. Those two would be good. Mike Tirico is the best in the bizz.

Joe T is probably one of the most incompetent "broadcasters" - and I use that term loosely, I have ever heard.

He would make a great politician or Pitch man......didnt he do some commercials in the early 90's? but in the booth, HORRIBLE...... and I love it that Kornholio is putting him in his place as a tool who just blurts out whatever words are bouncing around in his head.

Joe has absolutley no crediblity as a broadcaster, all those times he has said some pretty mean things about Ricky Williams, Joe has apoligized to Ricky after ever time. He says outrageuos things becasue he thinks it will get people to watch him, but cant stand behind what he says.

I bet you he's calling T.O right now to apologize for the most recent things he has said about him.

I also got to love a guy who says good night to my country at the end of PTI, and that tool who replaces him, doesnt even get why Kornhiser says it so he tries to be funny and say good night Argentina, good night Cameroon or whatever. KORNHOLIO 24- 7 baby!!!!!!!!:point2sky

Like somebody else said, Joe likes to hear himself talk, but he knows the game and does a good job as an analyst.

Diggler, the last sentence in your little rant about Theisman was really pitiful. Feeling good about somebody getting their leg snapped in half is about as low as a person can get. A real man would not stoop so low. I hope this made you feel better about yourself.............:doh:

1. Did you really have to quote to the whole article?

2. The last sentence wasn't written by DD, it was from the article. 20 years have passed since that happened. At the time it was mortifying and I felt horrible for Joe T, but he's done well for himself since then and I bet even he has a sense of humor about it now.

Can we get Riggins to replace Theisman? Perhaps, they could just let El Riggo take Theisman's dressing room, and not tell Joey T.

When J shows up to get ready, Riggins opens the door and answers the same way the Hogs did when ever Theisman begged for an Honorary Hog Membership: "No Quarterbacks"

And slam the door in his face.

I would like to attach a disclaimer here that this may or may not have made sense, I am exhausted today and really just worn out from repeating myself over and over about how utterly meaningless the preseasion is!

I think a lot of you all are stuck on the fact that Joey T was a former skins great, but I can't stand his commentary. He frequenlty does 180s on various topics, the one I remember most was went Joe Horn broke out the cell phone after a TD. You could hear the chuckling fo the first 2 or 3 minutes and then he condemns him the next. I'm just glad that they finally got someone in there to call him on that bs. Way to go Tony!

1. Did you really have to quote to the whole article?

2. The last sentence wasn't written by DD, it was from the article. 20 years have passed since that happened. At the time it was mortifying and I felt horrible for Joe T, but he's done well for himself since then and I bet even he has a sense of humor about it now.

What article did I quote? None. Who wrote the article that you said was not written by Diggler? The only name I see associated with that last sentence from the supposed article is Diggler. Give me the name of the author who wrote that article if you know who it is, because I'm curious to know. Again, whoever wrote it has to be a pretty sick person to take pleasure in somebody elses injury. Just because Joe has done well since then and it's been 20 years ago, is no excuse for someone to actually take pleasure in someone elses suffering.

A lot of you on this board are quick to condem somebody when they hope that player "A" puts player "B" out of a game. The same rule applys here. Wether you like Joe or not, it's wrong.

JT is terrible, came from the worst broadcasting team ever. The Sunday night group. I could not stand listening to those guys.

Tirico is great! So is TK.

As much as it hurts to say it Aikman is another great announcer.

Heh, I thought that was the BEST broadcasting team on TV. Even with Paul McGwire on there. He really didn't know anything about football.

Archived