Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers--Love him or Hate him? (Merged)

ChampSkinsFanatic

Do you lie awake at night thinking of ways to make yourself look like an idiot or are you just a natural?

:drool: :handicap:

I dunno, I thought it was a pretty funny comment. Keep up the good work, Bryan_Randall. At least it was obvious to me that you were joking.

Clint

Carlos was good in college. Sold yet?

So was Peter Warrick and Akili Smith.

-------------------------

Oh,I understand some of you might not have confidence in Carlos Rogers as we do with Shawn Springs. But Shawn Springs is probally one of the best Cornerbacks we've had here in a long time. Champ Bailey was a playmaker, solid tackler, but got burned alot too.

I'm gonna chime in here:

Just to mirror what others have said, Carlos' ability to tackle is what initially impressed me. He swoops in and seals the corner textbook; his tackles are ideal for a corner- sweep the legs...I witnessed some incredible tackling from him last season.

Moreover, I really noticed him coming on at the end of last season- his day against Drew Brees was fantastic. He was tested, and he won. These rookies, particularly at corner, need to adjust to the speed of the game. Things happen within split-seconds, and he must read and react...and that can be a learning curver for rookies.

Let's also not forget about the ankle injury that he had starting his rookie season- that did prove to be a hinderance in his development.

Concluding, we have two great, young talents in our secondary; Sean Taylor turned a lot heads last season as he did what we all know as Skins' fans that he is capable of...mainly the fumble returns. Carlos will be a force this season, particulary w/ the saavy of Sean Springs to guide him along, and the discipline of Gregg Williams to show him the way.

Damn. You guys jumped all over this guy. Rogers is still young. He had a good rookie season but that doesn't make him the Green reincarnate.

I doubt a lot of young players, too, even if they had great rookie seasons. ****, I still doubt veteran players sometimes.

says the guy with the sig of some guy named baskett from new mexico... who's jumping all over guys?

I'd say Rogers did pretty well last year considering he injured an ankle in mini camp and tore his bicep at the end of the season. He sucked it up, though and played against Tampa in the playoffs with that injury. Don't forget he denied Edell Sheppard that touchdown catch with under three minutes to go.

These highlights helped but somebody also refreshed my memory about the draft. I remember how it was at the draft day party when we picked Carlos Rogers and I wanted Mike Williams so I always had something against Carlos Rogers but I always wanted him to do good.

I love defensive backs and I really wanted Pacman Jones, or Antrel Rolle but with them gone I said we might as well get Mike WIlliams. Well it turns out we made the best choice by getting Carlos Rogers but I wish the Cardinals didnt take Antrel Rolle I wonder what we would have did then.

Like I said that highlight video really helped because before that all I remembered about Rogers was

1. His fatigue in preseason but I understood he was a rookie

2. Him always being injured when we really needed him because I hated Walt Harris at some point.

3. His hit on Anquan Boldin that made Jacked Up

4. 3 chances to INT the ball from Drew Brees

5. The INT he dropped in the playoffs

I was spoiled by Champ Bailey, his rookie year when they wanted to test him he made them regret it, like his 3 picks against Jake Plummer

Heres to Carlos having a Pro Bowl type season next year:cheers:

Remember that play against Tampa Bay where Chris Simms threw a bomb that almost was a game-tying touchdown (but the guy dropped it)? Well if you watch a replay or see pictures from the right angle, you can see Carlos Rogers getting his hand in there and popping the ball. The guy saved the game.

Clint

Oh yea Im an idiot:doh:

I think you are going to see a secondary that is high fiving a lot this year being led by Sean Taylor's play. He's such a big playmaker that the rest of the secondary is going to be very pumped every game. If Shawn Springs stays healthy this year then Rogers is going to get his chance to shine. I love everything I've read about the guy and he is an "all around" corner more in the mold of a Bailey than a Fred Smoot/Deion Sanders corner. Joe Gibbs knows a little bit about hall of fame corners. He got quite a bit of good play out of the other corners opposite Darrell Green many years ago. This defense is going to be fantastic this year... how can they not be. Seriously. The only issue I have is with is the third corner. I'm not sure if Jimoh and Stoutmeir (sp) are the guys to do it, but perhaps they will get better.

The only play that sticks out in my head is the play in Seattle when he could have intercepted the ball and took it to the house but didnt. Why should I be confident that we dont need to look for another corner.

I dont have the same confidence in him that I usually have in our corners like Green, Bailey, Smoot, Springs.

:whoknows: :whoknows: Y would anyone need to sell you....are you jerry gray(grey?) just sit back and watch the boy play, you will appriciate him more every game.:helmet: the kid really is solid

He is unarguably the best CB from a draft class that included 3 CBs in the top 9. That is pretty damn impressive.

Maybe Rolle will pan out, I think he will - but as a safety not a CB. I guarantee you that nobody thinks Carlos was anything less than tied for #1 of those top 3 CBs, not to mention the guys Denver drafted later and Fabian Washington of the Raiders.

The 05 class was as deep at CB as the 06 draft was at LBer.

I can't sell you on Carlos because you haven't seemed to have watched him play - it would be difficult to describe his physicality, his unbelievable CoD skills (as good as I have ever seen) and the fact that he is much much faster than the 40 yard time he ran at the combine with the hairline fracture.

Los is a monster and the prototype CB for GW's defense. He can cover like a mad man and can lay out WRs like Anquan Boldin.

He crushed Sean Alexander so hard he popped the ball loose in his first game as a Rook.

Sell you on carlos. Ok.....A rookie that did almost better than smoot would have. There need anymore?

Oh yeah if we got rolle just would of been another U man. But i still think we got the best one out of that

:cheers: :point2sky

no no pac man jones is the best one:rolleyes: man i was worried when rumor had it we would draft him:doh:

I think you are going to see a secondary that is high fiving a lot this year being led by Sean Taylor's play. He's such a big playmaker that the rest of the secondary is going to be very pumped every game. If Shawn Springs stays healthy this year then Rogers is going to get his chance to shine. I love everything I've read about the guy and he is an "all around" corner more in the mold of a Bailey than a Fred Smoot/Deion Sanders corner. Joe Gibbs knows a little bit about hall of fame corners. He got quite a bit of good play out of the other corners opposite Darrell Green many years ago. This defense is going to be fantastic this year... how can they not be. Seriously. The only issue I have is with is the third corner. I'm not sure if Jimoh and Stoutmeir (sp) are the guys to do it, but perhaps they will get better.

Stoutmire is gone (I was surprised to see he is slated as a starter!) and we picked up wright (solid cb on a solid d last year) from jacksonville so jimoh is 4th in line... I think we're in good shape here.:2cents:

Will Jimoh be the 4th CB? Is it a lock for him? I'm wondering if this is the year we say goodbye to Ade. Word is, he was a special teams demon(one of the coaches said this.) Look at our roster. We have so many special teams players now. If STs was the only reason Ade stuck around, I can see him losing that 4th spot to one of the other guys.

Carlos had a fairly good rookie year but he'll be expected to step it up this year. He'll have to prove the can grow with the game. When Springs is healthy, Carlos will be thrown to. Dallas game will be the key turning point in the season for the DBs, I think. If they can hold TO and Glenn early in the seaon, then facing the Giants and Colts will seem a lot more do-able.

Frankly, I'm more worried about Springs staying healthy. He's got groin problems and Seattle know how to exploit him last time.

Sell you on carlos. Ok.....A rookie that did almost better than smoot would have. There need anymore?

Oh yeah if we got rolle just would of been another U man. But i still think we got the best one out of that

:cheers: :point2sky

Almost??? I don't think either one has a clear edge when it comes to coverage, but throw in run stopping and tackling and I'd take Rogers anyday over Smoot, a guy who only knows how to "tackle" by making a desperation dive and hoping that his flailing arms will somehow trip up the ballcarrier.

C Los can lay the wood.

• 1 month later...

Archived