Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers--Love him or Hate him? (Merged)

ChampSkinsFanatic

The only play that sticks out in my head is the play in Seattle when he could have intercepted the ball and took it to the house but didnt. Why should I be confident that we dont need to look for another corner.

I dont have the same confidence in him that I usually have in our corners like Green, Bailey, Smoot, Springs.

It's ok to doubt certain players. Everyone cant be sold on every Redskin. However, hopefully this can help you be sold on CR. When was the last time you saw a corner come up and punish running backs like Rogers. He laid several big hits on running backs and wideouts as a rookie. Also, his pick against San Diego was one of the most athletic plays I have seen from a Redskin DB. If you watch the whole play to see how remarkable his makeup speed was and add that to the fact he timed his jump perfectly, you can see his athleticism. Like any rookie he struggled at times, but Rogers will be a stud. His rare combination of cover skills and the ability to hit like a truck will cause alot of turnovers for our skins for years to come. Also, with basically NO pass rush he was left out to dry an awful lot but held his own. Can you imagine the hits or picks he will get with guys like Andre Carter getting their hands up on balls or forcing bad throws?

You need to pay attention to Carlos Rogers more then. I see him being a Poor Mans Champ Bailey. The only thing really missing is he needs to improve a bit more on his coverage againts speedy recievers and in zone coverage. He is already an excellent tackler who can even take down people like Lorenzo Neal.

But I think this season will really tell us what kind of potiential he really has. I've been really impressed on how smart Carlos Rogers is on the football field during plays.

It's ok to doubt certain players. Everyone cant be sold on every Redskin. However, hopefully this can help you be sold on CR. When was the last time you saw a corner come up and punish running backs like Rogers. He laid several big hits on running backs and wideouts as a rookie. Also, his pick against San Diego was one of the most athletic plays I have seen from a Redskin DB. If you watch the whole play to see how remarkable his makeup speed was and add that to the fact he timed his jump perfectly, you can see his athleticism. Like any rookie he struggled at times, but Rogers will be a stud. His rare combination of cover skills and the ability to hit like a truck will cause alot of turnovers for our skins for years to come.

I agree on all point except the first. I think anyone who watched the skins regularly last year and knows anything about football can see that Rogers had about as good a rookie season as you can get from a CB. It was quite plain to see that he has all the intangibles and athleticism you could hope for.

You need to pay attention to Carlos Rogers more then. I see him being a Poor Mans Champ Bailey. The only thing really missing is he needs to improve a bit more on his coverage againts speedy recievers and in zone coverage. He is already an excellent tackler who can even take down people like Lorenzo Neal.

But I think this season will really tell us what kind of potiential he really has.

I think he is too young to really refer to him as anyones "poor man" Let's see what he does with a pass rush and him being a year wiser as far as the NFL goes.

I agree on all point except the first. I think anyone who watched the skins regularly last year and knows anything about football can see that Rogers had about as good a rookie season as you can get from a CB. It was quite plain to see that he has all the intangibles and athleticism you could hope for.

I agree. I am sold on Rogers. I was just pointing out that every skins fan is going to have a player or two they just arent sold on. Whether its a starter, or where someone is on the depth chart.

The only play that sticks out in my head is the play in Seattle when he could have intercepted the ball and took it to the house but didnt. Why should I be confident that we dont need to look for another corner.

I dont have the same confidence in him that I usually have in our corners like Green, Bailey, Smoot, Springs.

He was a rookie and had he played all season would have been defensive rookie of the year (as far as DB's are concerned) with his performance, IMO. You're unfairly comparing him to guys that have established themselves in this league as quality/HOF caliber(GREEN) DB's. Rogers is the real deal: disciplined, quick, knows his technique in William's system, hard hitter, and has the tools to be in the class as the above mentioned players. I, like many, watched every game and I remember great things about Roger's performance last year. Yes he botched an easy pick, but who hasn't? The above mentioned have many times, trust me. One year...I don't know that you can make a solid case either way, but I have a hunch that we have something really special with Carlos.

HTTR!

Yep, the ball bounced off his fingers. You won't see that happen again for a while. Next time he'll take it to the house. If you recall in the same game, he had a chance for another interception on the play where Hasselbeck threw the ball backwards in an attempt to hold his pass. He threw the ball backwards because Carlos had jumped the route again. And this is Hasselbeck we're talking about, not some garbage QB.

People keep forgetting that it was raining in Seattle and the ball was wet. I'm not trying to make an excuse for the guy but when a ball is wet and is much harder to hold on to.

Let us not also forget that this pick was highly scrutinized by some of our fanbase. They wanted Mike Williams, because we so desperately needed a wideout. Well that same "game-changing" wide receiver is now overweight as far as wideouts go and projected to be fourth on the wr depth chart this year for THE DETROIT LIONS. Meanwhile, we pick up ARE and Lloyd while drafting a rising lock-down in Rogers, who shows his game translates VERY well not only to the NFL but to our defense. Man, that Gibbs guy kinda knows what he's doing.

I thought the Chargers game was his best game - go watch that one again and tell me what you think. It also stood out to me that while Tomlinson was running into the end zone in OT, Rogers was right on his heels - I liked his "never say die" attitude on that play. Anyway, Rogers seems to me like a very solid defender who makes strong tackles, is deceptively fast, and has strong leaping ability. He's quietly effective and he's a great fit for our defense. I think he could even end up as our top CB by the end of the upcoming season.

Archived