Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers--Love him or Hate him? (Merged)

ChampSkinsFanatic

That video was sick!

And that video doesn't even include one of this biggest plays of the season.. against the Cardinals... on the last drive of the game when the Cardinals were driving and threatening to tie the game.... on 4th down on 2. Cardinals run wide... guess who was there to shut it down? Carlos Rogers.

I'm sorry, if anyone can't tell Rogers potential from last year.... you don't appreciate football.

Yes, he dropped that pass. But, he's also prevented many more scores and forced teams to alter strategies because of his presence. If you want to complain about a lack of scoring in that second Seattle game, talk to your offense. Rogers is going to be great here, in the same mold of Darrell Green and Pat Fischer. Just be patient.

Remember that play against Tampa Bay where Chris Simms threw a bomb that almost was a game-tying touchdown (but the guy dropped it)? Well if you watch a replay or see pictures from the right angle, you can see Carlos Rogers getting his hand in there and popping the ball. The guy saved the game.

Clint

CSF...i agree with your sentiments and think I understand where you are coming from. Potential and performance are two differnt things. For his postion in the draft...he hasn't produced to expectations. On the other hand:

- injuries caused significant down time

- you can expect only so much during the rookie season

- he is being tutored by one of the finest coaching staffs in the NFL. It takes some time for everything to mesh.

Draft position notwithstanding, I would argue that the journey isn't one from draft day to Pro Bowl status - but from draft day to presence (season 1), to completeness (season 2)......to mastery (season 3). let's see where this journey heads this season before jumping to conclusions. and let's hope he can stay in one piece.

:sucks:

I finally found a thread where I could use this :D

seriously as was already stated...if you need to be sold, you didn't pay attention last season. He was incredible, and will only get better.

Thank you for that video...however...now I'm ticked because I have to wait so long for the season... :mad:

What impressed me the most about CR, even beyond the INT's and his cover skills(especially in zone coverage might I add), was the Chargers game. You'd think the highlight there would be his pick off of Brees, but to me it was his 2 tackles on Tomlinson. 1 in the open field, and another he practically bent AROUND Lorenzo Neal to make the tackle of Tomlinson while he was cutting back the other direction.

:whoknows: :whoknows: HE WAS A ROOKIE! Not only that but he really developed pretty well. He saw a lot of action considering that the offenses threw a lot his way. All things considered, I wouldn't be worried about Carlos Rogers. Maybe you were confusing him with Walt Harris? At any rate, I think that Carlos Rogers is a good corner and he is going to get better. No worries IMO.

Yep, the ball bounced off his fingers. You won't see that happen again for a while. Next time he'll take it to the house. If you recall in the same game, he had a chance for another interception on the play where Hasselbeck threw the ball backwards in an attempt to hold his pass. He threw the ball backwards because Carlos had jumped the route again. And this is Hasselbeck we're talking about, not some garbage QB.

You know what they say, if he could catch he'd be a WR :laugh:

In all fairness though, JJ got him good when he tried to jump a route in that game, too. Remember the pump fake, then Hasselbeck points downfield and JJ breaks for it? Not that that's really a strike against Rogers, he played it right, it was one hell of an improvisation by two wiley, veteran players who had a solid rapport. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

The only play that sticks out in my head is the play in Seattle when he could have intercepted the ball and took it to the house but didnt. Why should I be confident that we dont need to look for another corner.

I dont have the same confidence in him that I usually have in our corners like Green, Bailey, Smoot, Springs.

Well, did you ever hear anyone really complain about his performance last year? I know there would have been tons of threads here about him if he didn't perform. Silence is good when it comes to cornerbacks.

Let us not also forget that this pick was highly scrutinized by some of our fanbase. They wanted Mike Williams, because we so desperately needed a wideout. Well that same "game-changing" wide receiver is now overweight as far as wideouts go and projected to be fourth on the wr depth chart this year for THE DETROIT LIONS. Meanwhile, we pick up ARE and Lloyd while drafting a rising lock-down in Rogers, who shows his game translates VERY well not only to the NFL but to our defense. Man, that Gibbs guy kinda knows what he's doing.

Lol, if that isn't the understatement of a lifetime. Not only that, he was calling Gibbs and Co nonstop on draft day asking "you guys are going to draft me right? I'm going to be a Redskin, right?" He WANTED to be here, his attitude and hustle are amazing, his skills set is perfect for our defense and he played as well as any rookie CB I can remember in recent years.

'Los will never be a stutdown corner, but then again I doubt will ever see him o-lay a tackle. Eventually, I believe he'll be top 15 in all the important aspects of the CB position (coverage, tackling, and playmaking).

I don't know what makes you think he'll never be shutdown, he has all the tools you could ask for physically and his attitude and approach to the game are outstanding for such a young player. There's a reason why he was voted the top DB his senior year in college and there's a reason why he outplayed EVERY other rookie DB last year. This guy is the real deal, he absolutely has shutdown potential.

He hustled pretty good for a rookie in sneaking his hand thru Shepards arm and getting a piece of the ball so Edell couldn't hold on long enough in the TB playoff game. He saved us an OT.

His hustle and determination are two of the best attributes of his game. The ESPECIALLY nice part is, you don't usually see that to this extent on youngster who have as much talent as he does. Usually, you see that in the overachievers and late round draft picks but he's got their attitude in a top 10 corner's body.

That play was honestly one of my favorite plays of the year. It looked like he had no chance and he made every effort he could possibly have made and made one HELL of a play. That play, to me, defines everything that makes me so confident about Roger's future.

When Carlos Rogers played corner at Auburn, he shut down one side of the field. Few quarterbacks dared through his way; and when they did, he made them pay. They give the Thorpe award to the best defensive back and they chose wisely in 2004-2005. Rogers has an attitude of a thoroughbred and work ethic that he learned at Auburn---that is a winning combination. His adjustment to the NFL game has been impressive. Balance that with the kind of teammate and person he is and you have an invaluable piece of a Williams defense. If you don't see potential in Carlos Rogers, you don't know what potential is.

The only play that sticks out in my head is the play in Seattle when he could have intercepted the ball and took it to the house but didnt. Why should I be confident that we dont need to look for another corner.

I dont have the same confidence in him that I usually have in our corners like Green, Bailey, Smoot, Springs.

sounds like you didn't start watching the team until the seattle game.

Damn. You guys jumped all over this guy. Rogers is still young. He had a good rookie season but that doesn't make him the Green reincarnate.

I doubt a lot of young players, too, even if they had great rookie seasons. ****, I still doubt veteran players sometimes.

Archived