Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

They were ready, willing, and able to do a catchweight for Rousey/Carano though

Carano earned it. Without Carano, there's probably no women's UFC to begin with. Rousey owes her a lot. She owes Cyborg nothing.

Less than nothing, actually. Cyborg has twice agreed to fight contenders at 135, then Rousey, and has twice backed out. If anyone owes anyone anything, Cyborg owes Rousey. Rousey has been expanding women's MMA practically single-handedly. Cyborg owes Rousey a ton. Her career would be nothing more than 5 figure fights, at best, against cans. Shes had a clear path to Rousey for years, and hasn't done it.

On a similar but side note, card was kinda lame. Wayyyy too long for the fights it had. I know not every card can he UFC 189 material, but at this point you've got to pair Rousey with better prelims and main card fights. You know she's gonna annihilate her opponent in no time, gotta build a card around her.

Dana has the right idea though, if he pairs Mcgregor-Aldo on the same night as Rousey-Tate 3. That first fight is gonna be awesome.

How much weight does RR cut to get to 135? Cyborg is the only fighter who could be competitive with Rousey imo. Tate doesn't have the strength or athleticism. Zingano maybe could've been a nice fight just a bad strategy on her part. Where is Marloes?? The girl from the show(Pena) is still a bit green.......like Bethe but seems strong enough to not get completely bullied by RR.

Carano earned it. Without Carano, there's probably no women's UFC to begin with. Rousey owes her a lot. She owes Cyborg nothing.

Less than nothing, actually. Cyborg has twice agreed to fight contenders at 135, then Rousey, and has twice backed out. If anyone owes anyone anything, Cyborg owes Rousey. Rousey has been expanding women's MMA practically single-handedly. Cyborg owes Rousey a ton. Her career would be nothing more than 5 figure fights, at best, against cans. Shes had a clear path to Rousey for years, and hasn't done it.

On a similar but side note, card was kinda lame. Wayyyy too long for the fights it had. I know not every card can he UFC 189 material, but at this point you've got to pair Rousey with better prelims and main card fights. You know she's gonna annihilate her opponent in no time, gotta build a card around her.

Dana has the right idea though, if he pairs Mcgregor-Aldo on the same night as Rousey-Tate 3. That first fight is gonna be awesome.

That's bs. Ronda owes nothing to Carano. She put wmma on the map through strikeforce by being pretty and subbing everyone under a round.

How much weight does RR cut to get to 135? Cyborg is the only fighter who could be competitive with Rousey imo. Tate doesn't have the strength or athleticism. Zingano maybe could've been a nice fight just a bad strategy on her part. Where is Marloes?? The girl from the show(Pena) is still a bit green.......like Bethe but seems strong enough to not get completely bullied by RR.

she cuts a lot of weight to make 135, she used to fight at 145 before dropping down to fight Meisha for her title

I think Marloes is in Bellator now 

Lol Nick threw a water bottle at khabib.

Dagestan>>>>>Stockton

Edited by StillUnknown

Carano did more for WMMA? Cyborg destroyed her. The only reason Carano was a big deal was because she's hot. She's the Anna Kornikova of WMMA.

So?

It's unfortunate that women's sports need a sex icon to truly grow, but one way or another, Carano grew WMMA.  Yeah, Cyborg basically ended her career, but that doesn't change the fact that Carano helped to push the sport more towards mass recognition.

That's bs. Ronda owes nothing to Carano. She put wmma on the map through strikeforce by being pretty and subbing everyone under a round.

Carano was Rousey before Rousey was Rousey.  She was the main draw for several years there, before she fought Cyborg.  Rousey picked up where she left off, though yeah, Rousey has done a ton herself.  Carano is deserving of some measure of respect.

Meanwhile, setting aside that Cyborg juiced up to her eyeballs non-stop until 2011, she's backed out of promises to make 135 and fight contenders, twice.  She can't keep her word.  She doesn't deserve a catchweight.  If she can't make 135 because she juiced too much in the past, tough, shoulda thought of that beforehand.  Petition Dana for a 145 class, and then keep quiet.

• Like 1

pretty crazy that the two biggest stars in MMA today are a 135lb woman & a 145lb Irishman

I'd love to see McGregor-Rousey, as wacky (and definitely never happening) as that'd be.  My initial feeling is that McGregor wins easy, but on second thought, Rousey can take punches (probably not nearly as many from McGregor as her usual opponents) and if she can survive to take him to the ground, since his takedown defense is so bad, she might be able to sneak in an armbar.

I still figure McGregor would just overpower her on the ground, preventing an armbar and then standing up and striking her down, but who knows.  It'd be interesting to see.

Right and we don't know how juiced Cyborg was back in those days. It is usually safe to say that once you get popped for it, it's likely you were doing it for more then just THAT fight.

Also, Cyborg is better than Carano, no one disputes that, but it's still Carano that got the eyeballs on WMMA.  Partly because she is hot? Sure, but she was also beating her opponents. I believe she was undefeated up until the Cyborg fight.  And let's not forget for those who actually saw that fight. Carano had Cyborg mounted and did nothing with it.  Sorry, but if Carano can get Cyborg into that kind of position, Rousey is going to rag doll her when Cyborg pulls the usual "bull rush in and try to overwhlem opponent" 

If Rousey hadn't come along, I am not sure if Dana would have agreed to even build a WMMA division around the current crop of females. He should have either way, but it's Dana so who knows.  

McGregor kos her within 30 seconds, are you serious?

I mean, probably, but McGregor didn't really protect himself from takedowns against Mendes.  Rousey probably can't get inside his reach easily, I mean the man's got silly long arms, but she's not dumb either, she probably gameplans to get inside his guard and take him down.  Whether she can do that is the hard part, but if she did she can probably give him a reasonably interesting match.

Don't get me wrong, she can't overwhelm McGregor standing, that's a guaranteed loss, and if Mendes couldn't capitalize on, what, 5 takedowns, there's almost no chance 10 pounds lighter Rousey could, but McGregor does have a big blind spot in takedown defense; his best tool is that he can avoid submission.  I would not be surprised if Rousey gave a fight similar to Mendes.  I also wouldn't be surprised if McGregor knocked her out in the first punch.  Guy packs a wallop.

Still a fun counterfactual.

Paul Harris needs to be suspended, dude gouged the **** out of Jake's eyes. He is dirty af. I feel bad for Jake.

Irony is that in the pre-fight talk Shields talked about how he was going to crank any submission he landed on Paul Harris

damn shame Mr. Harris seems to be insane. Its deflecting from the fact that he submitted two of the hardest guys in MMA to submit in back to back fights. That was Shields' first loss by submission in a damn near 40 fight career.

Rousey transcends her sport. She's known by people that don't normally care about mma. She's probably the biggest name in the ufc. Just read through the list of current champions and ask yourself "more famous than Ronda?" Let me know when you get to one that is.

Rousey transcends her sport. She's known by people that don't normally care about mma. She's probably the biggest name in the ufc. Just read through the list of current champions and ask yourself "more famous than Ronda?" Let me know when you get to one that is.

Conor's the only one that comes close

she's gone far beyond mma's scope and beyond the scope of sport in general. The only downside is that you have more people discussing a sport they know nothing about. Few things annoy me more than "casual" fight fans.

Conor's the only one that comes close

she's gone far beyond mma's scope and beyond the scope of sport in general. The only downside is that you have more people discussing a sport they know nothing about. Few things annoy me more than "casual" fight fans.

I can appreciate that. I'm an unusual "new" fan.

I'm a 3rd degree MMA blackbelt, who just never followed the fight scene before Ronda. I don't know who the hell anyone is or if they are any good, but I know a ton about what I'm seeing when I watch. I'm really happy that Ronda and Connor have finally brought me into a sport that I have practiced my whole life but never bothered to follow professionally.