Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Ehh. A full camp from Mendes probably beats Connor. I think Aldo wins easy. Hell, Frankie Edgar could probably ground and pound for 5 minutes.

McGregor better start working on his ground game. If Mendes doesnt attempt that guillotine hed still be on top pounding.

People keep talking **** about McGregor.

I never talked **** about McGregor; he is a great fighter. I just did not necessarily believe in him against the tip top of the division. I am impressed by him tonight, but some concerns still remain. I like him, and I am happy for him, but I still don't know if he beats Aldo. Or Edgar. Or Mendes on a full camp. I'd love to see those fights, and we probably will.  

• Like 1

I just watched the obviously faster stronger fighter that has had wars in the UFC gas from being on top in round 2.  Somethings off.  Best case scenario, Chad didn't have time to get in fight shape or he had an early injury.

Bottom line that wasn't the Chad Mendes we've seen before.   

In what sense is Mendez faster than McGregor? Faster at shooting for takedowns? Yeah. Faster in any other aspect I'd say not. Strength, probably. Its really easy to say he gassed, but you're ignoring the monster body lefts and heels that were hitting him in the stomach and ribs. I doubt we'll know for sure what caused him to start to lose it, but I'm not sure he gassed as much as got hurt. He slouched over visibly after a few of those shots and kept trying to protect it.

It's not about talking **** about McGregor but he was getting dominated until Chad gassed. Aldo would murder him and I'm sure Frankie would put him to work too. I like the guy but he just doesn't impress me as a fighter.

I like having McGregor in the division, the rest can't finish Aldo, so give someone else a shot. I don't doubt he can stand with Aldo, but he does need to work on his takedown defense. This was the first time the UFC gave him a wrestler to fight, and was the time he should've gotten beat. 

He also showed he can get out of some bad positions. Mendez has finished others in similar positions at their neck. he got out of those situations twice in two rounds. 

Its so easy to just say someone gassed. The reality is we have no idea what happened. 

2 weeks notice.

True, but he is also the same guy that says that he trains to always be ready for a fight. If you are at the top of a division and don't have a fight, you should be that way. As much as I love and respect Aldo...especially in that division.

I am pretty sure that Mendes was not sitting on the couch and watching Parks and Rec and eating Cheetos. He was in the gym, just in case. And just in case happened.

Rocket

-I'm saying he gassed because I've seen Mendes fight several times, one of those times was live. That didn't look like the Mendes I've seen. Maybe it was Conor's power doing major damage but I don't think two weeks is enough to prepare for a fight of that magnitude. I thought Chad would win and with a full camp I think he would but Conor was the better fighter tonight.

Mendes looked like a guy who took this on two weeks.  A lot of people say he gassed quick but I think it was the punishment to the body he took.  I can't really argue the stoppage, but damn :03 left in the round?  Unfortunate, would have been nice to see a 3rd round, especially considering this is a title fight that he took on such short notice.

At the same time can't say that Conor doesn't deserve the win, he survived some tricky situations.

Mendes landed a lot of clean stuff on Conor, makes me think if that was Edgar or Aldo in there, Conor might go to sleep.

Lawler vs. Rory, my gawd, my respect for both guys just went way up. One of the greatest fights I've ever seen.

• Like 1

how am I supposed to watch some TUF Finale card tomorrow after what I watched tonight? Then they have Fight Night card 3 days later? let me marinate on what I just watched

I was just about to say the same thing. I actually cared about the TUF finale about five hours ago. Now it is the furthest thing from my mind. I have to decompress and wrap my mind around everything that happened tonight. And there is no way it can live up to this.

Mendes looked like a guy who took this on two weeks.  A lot of people say he gassed quick but I think it was the punishment to the body he took.  I can't really argue the stoppage, but damn :03 left in the round?  Unfortunate, would have been nice to see a 3rd round, especially considering this is a title fight that he took on such short notice.

At the same time can't say that Conor doesn't deserve the win, he survived some tricky situations.

Mendes landed a lot of clean stuff on Conor, makes me think if that was Edgar or Aldo in there, Conor might go to sleep.

Lawler vs. Rory, my gawd, my respect for both guys just went way up. One of the greatest fights I've ever seen.

Can't disagree with anything here. I think it was more the body shots, but there may be an element of gassing as well. I initially thought it was an early stoppage, but it looked like Chad was done.

And Lawler-MacDonald...what a damn fight.

haha...I would not go that far Dana. :)

Yeah, I know, I got caught up in the moment. But he did KO the #1 contender. Sure he got taken down a bunch but it didn't matter, he was able to get up and deliver the KO. The guy is legit.

Now if Mendes had a full camp maybe it is a different deal. Maybe Edgar takes him down at will and beats him. Certainly people who want to question or doubt him will have plenty of ammo.

2nd round seems early to gas, even with a short camp. I think the body kicks took something out of Mendes.

• Like 1

Rocket

-I'm saying he gassed because I've seen Mendes fight several times, one of those times was live. That didn't look like the Mendes I've seen. Maybe it was Conor's power doing major damage but I don't think two weeks is enough to prepare for a fight of that magnitude. I thought Chad would win and with a full camp I think he would but Conor was the better fighter tonight.

Thats fair, my original post saying everyone likes to talk **** about McGregor wasn't about specific people here, but in general. Hes got flaws, we all know that, but he somehow manages to get **** done right now.

As far as Mendes, I do think he typically has more steam than that, but he also typically wins when he has those positions early in fights and I haven't seen someone with McGregors kicks land them like he did in Mendes' ribs. McGregor needs more experience to handle takedowns obviously. He is also quite slippery, and I'm pretty sure we can all agree after this that he has a chin that is pretty insane. Most of those elbows would knock other guys out. McGregor also had no wasted movement, just kept close while Mendes was on top, and only pushed when he thought he had a chance. No other way to fight a great wrestler like that than to hope he advances and take your chance then to get up. Mendes did great with counters, which was good to see. I like both of these guys, but just think a lot of folks dislike McGregor because of his voice and that he skyrocketed in popularity really fast.

Edited by Rocket442Olds

Thats fair, my original post saying everyone likes to talk **** about McGregor wasn't about specific people here, but in general. Hes got flaws, we all know that, but he somehow manages to get **** done right now.

Conor's power, and more importantly, his accuracy is amazing. He doesn't need high output because he has one shot power. He will have to bring those hands up against Aldo, but if he catches Aldo clean he can finish him. Easier said than done though, IMO Aldo has the best striking defense I've ever seen in MMA.

Edited by StillUnknown

Yeah, I know, I got caught up in the moment. But he did KO the #1 contender. Sure he got taken down a bunch but it didn't matter, he was able to get up and deliver the KO. The guy is legit.

Now if Mendes had a full camp maybe it is a different deal. Maybe Edgar takes him down at will and beats him. Certainly people who want to question or doubt him will have plenty of ammo.

2nd round seems early to gas, even with a short camp. I think the body kicks took something out of Mendes.

I know....I was just messing with you :)

The rise of McGregor reminds me so much of the rise of Weidman, beginning with his first win against Silva.

Every win is discounted or rebutted with excuses, along with "but the next guy will kick his ***".

Then he beats the next guy. Rinse and repeat. He beats the next guy and the next guy.

All he does is win, and win decisively by knocking the **** out of people.

Conor's power and more importantly, his accuracy is amazing. He doesn't need high output because he has one shot power. He will have to bring those hands up against Aldo, but if he catches Aldo clean he can finish him. Easier said than done though, IMO Aldo has the best striking defense I've ever seen in MMA.

It's going to be an amazing fight, no doubt.

The rise of McGregor reminds me so much of the rise of Weidman, beginning with his first win against Silva.

Every win is discounted or rebutted with excuses, along with "but the next guy will kick his ***".

Then he beats the next guy. Rinse and repeat. He beats the next guy and the next guy.

I always thought he was a great fighter...but, I had serious doubts until he beat a guy that could wrestle. He just did. So I respect him a whole lot more.

I think it was a combo of having a short camp and the major body shots. It also seemed like Herb stopped the fight a bit early. But Chad was gassed/broken down and the outcome just would've been delayed until the third round.

Weidman KOd arguably the greatest fighter ever to win his belt. These two situations are not comparable.

• Like 1

The technique snob in me comes out in full force when I see fighters who know how to use footwork to cut off the cage. It shouldn't be, but it is still rare to see in MMA. So many fighters simply chase after their opponent, following them around the cage wasting movement and energy. What Conor did on the feet should be studied by any fighter who wants to actually accomplish something in the cage.

When you couple his knowledge of footwork & movement with his reach advantage in division, you have a fighter who will almost always be fighting at his range on the feet. Its one of the reasons he feels comfortable keep his hands so low. If his opponents throw a punch from his range, they're not going to land many clean shots.

Edited by StillUnknown

People here (the place I'm at) acting like I did when Chuck would win back in the day. C'mon sons.

I will say that the sheer fearlessness and pressure Conor displays on the feet multiplies the speed at which dudes gas, or wilt. Can't wait 'til he fights Edgar and Aldo. Here comes a lot more of the Conor show for at least the next few months. More commercials, more appearances, and a lot more trash talk. He could be the face of the UFC extremely soon, warranted or not.

Can't wait 'til Frankie and Jose fight him. Frankie is mah boy, Conor is the marketing centerpiece to-be though. Him staying champ would be great for the sport. Tough choice man.

If Frankie beats him it would be hilarious, because he's just the type of guy who would come out of nowhere to Rocky Balboa this mofo. It would really add a stamp to Frankie's often-overlooked career.

First thing is first though. Frankie will need to win another fight, and Jose is on deck. Please stay healthy, yall,

The technique snob in me comes out in full force when I see fighters who know how to use footwork to cut off the cage. It shouldn't be, but it is still rare to see in MMA. So many fighters simply chase after their opponent, following them around the cage wasting movement and energy. What Conor did on the feet should be studied by any fighter who wants to actually accomplish something in the cage.

While true, the massive reach advantage definitely helps you to accomplish that. It's not like Mendes could've employed the same strategy.

I wasn't that impressed with his use of his reach. Mendes got inside pretty easily and repeatedly. The impressive aspects of his game is his footwork and his accuracy. He's not a speed fighter, I don't see him as quick or particularly fast as others do. What he does better than most is, as mentioned before, is cut off the cage and press the action. He doesn't let anyone hang out out of his range and think about what to do. There is no getting away from him. Most impressive however is his accuracy, he's a damned sniper with his strikes.

Problem is that he has huge gaping holes in his game that were exposed today. His take down defense wasn't good and he was begging the ref to stand him up while eating elbows. He'll be spending a lot of time working on his ground game and uncle Dana isn't going to let his new star get in the ring with a wrestler soon, he'll have time to work on it.