Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I had Robbie/Rory tied going in to the last round. Lawler first two, Rory last two. Rory showed me some grit, which I've doubted in him. I loved that he had Robbie hurt after sporting a mask of blood.

Love how Robbie reacts to being hurt. He moves his head so ****in much, no matter how damn hurt he ****in is. What the hell yo, the guy is a hilarious fighter. He's just a natural. He has that fighter mentality, wheras I felt Rory was more coached-up and mechanical.

Rory, for all the damage he took, gained some toughness points here. He's 25 and stood with a hell of a standup fighter for 5 rounds, even almost finishing it standing. If he can regroup, he has plenty of time left.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

He only had 3 weeks to prepare. Edgar and Jose both beat Connor.

2 weeks notice.

Likewise, Conor only had 2 weeks to prepare against a "world class wrestler"

Considering that, he didn't do so bad in that department, even on his back.

I'm sure many people expected Mendes to finish him quickly, once Conor landed on his back.

But anyone who is honest, will tell you that Conor surprised them, even in his ground defense.

And why is the 2 weeks notice suddenly an issue for Mendes, now, after the fight ?

Before the fight, I remember the majority saying Mendes would crush Conor, even when they knew Mendes only had 2 weeks notice.

Luke ThomasVerified account
‏@SBNLukeThomas
Someone on Facebook, re: Rory-Robbie. "That fight looked like I spent 50 bucks to watch a murder-suicide pact." #UFC189

Gotta wonder how a fight like that affects Rory long term. Robbie's resurgence is one the best things about MMA, but you have to imagine he'll start to slow down given the amount of wear on his body. Rory is still a young fighter in the game, how he reacts mentally from that fight will be just as important as his physical recovery.

I think that was the best fight I've seen since Bones/Gustafsson

Edited by StillUnknown

It also came super close to being one of the best ever comebacks, if Rory could have just survived Round 5

I think it still was a great comeback, but on Robbie's behalf. Hell, on both of their behalves. Robbie was saved by the bell, Big John almost stepped in to stop it a few times after Rory landed the headkick. Rory was extremely, extremely close to being champion today

Then Robbie pulls that thunder fist out of his back pocket and ends it all abruptly. So much for Rory avoiding anything and everything. It was a nice thought, him being GSP 2.0, but he's a different fighter. Like SU said, we'll see if this fight perma-slows him or translates in to valuable experience. I think he'll benefit from it. He didn't get his lights shut off, I don't think he was wobbled much. Face was messed up real good, his surgeon is going to have a hell of a time putting that nose puzzle back together.

• Like 2

look at Rory's face:

Reminds of Gus posing with Jones in the hospital.

It's cool to see fighters show their support for their hospitalized foes, like this.

Speaking of classy, Mendes really impressed me with his gestures after the fight.

After all the over-the-top, personal insults that Conor has been talking, it would have been easy for Mendes to walk off, and at best, just go through the robotic motions of sayin the typical, scripted, diplomatic speech after the fight "He's a tough fighter, deserved to win, etc etc". But Chad went out of his way, to show some genuine love to Conor after the fight, both on the mic, and off the mic, directly to Conor. I did already know he was one of the good guys, but Chad won a lot more respect from me.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I think it still was a great comeback, but on Robbie's behalf. Hell, on both of their behalves. Robbie was saved by the bell, Big John almost stepped in to stop it a few times after Rory landed the headkick. Rory was extremely, extremely close to being champion today

Then Robbie pulls that thunder fist out of his back pocket and ends it all abruptly. So much for Rory avoiding anything and everything. It was a nice thought, him being GSP 2.0, but he's a different fighter. Like SU said, we'll see if this fight perma-slows him or translates in to valuable experience. I think he'll benefit from it. He didn't get his lights shut off, I don't think he was wobbled much. Face was messed up real good, his surgeon is going to have a hell of a time putting that nose puzzle back together.

Do you think that when Rory had Robbie hurt and wobbly, that he should have been more aggressive, to try to finish him, and not let him recover ?

Or would that have been too risky to close in on him at that point, and he was better off playing cautious (the round after Robbie was saved by the horn) ?

Of course, in retrospect or hindsight, the potential results of playing it more aggressive, couldn't have been much worse than the actual outcome

Likewise, Conor only had 2 weeks to prepare against a "world class wrestler"

Considering that, he didn't do so bad in that department, even on his back.

I'm sure many people expected Mendes to finish him quickly, once Conor landed on his back.

But anyone who is honest, will tell you that Conor surprised them, even in his ground defense.

And why is the 2 weeks notice suddenly an issue for Mendes, now, after the fight ?

Before the fight, I remember the majority saying Mendes would crush Conor, even when they knew Mendes only had 2 weeks notice.

Because it looked like his conditioning failed him. Its not like connor walked through Mendes.

Because it looked like his conditioning failed him. Its not like connor walked through Mendes.

It's already been mentioned, but Conor's kicks to the body, were a likely cause of Mendes ultimate crumbling, as opposed to conditioning.

So, with a combination of kicks to the body and strikes to the head - how is that not "walking through Mendes" ?

It's already been mentioned, but Conor's kicks to the body, were a likely cause of Mendes ultimate crumbling, as opposed to conditioning.

So, with a combination of kicks to the body and strikes to the head - how is that not "walking through Mendes" ?

Were his kicks to the body "likely" what caused Mendes to gas?  I'm not so sure.  Looked to me like he just gassed.  When a fighter is taking damage to the body it usually shows in more than just suddenly running out of gas.  It didn't stop his explosive take downs, which a core injury would almost certainly effect, and I didn't see his guard drop to cover an injured area.

The reason he didn't "walk through Mendes" is that prior to Mendes gassing, Conor hadn't won either round.  He was getting beat.  When people say a fighter walked through another it generally means he dominated the entire fight or at least the vast majority of it. 

I think it's funny that people are comparing Mendes having two weeks to prepare for a fight to Conor having two weeks to prepare for Mendes.

Connor was inshape.

The gameplan would of been different but he was inshape.

Conor may have been at a greater disadvantage/handicap than Mendes, from the 2 weeks prep.

A fighter can, and really should, work on his cardio year-round, especially considering how frequently that replacements are needed for injured fighters

But a fighter can only prepare for a stylistic aspect of a matchup, if he knows well in advance, who is opponent will be.

Mendes and Aldo are completely different styles.

Who knows, with a full camp for both Mendes and Conor, maybe Conor "dispatches" him even quicker, by sparring appropriately for the matchup.

Mendes did enough on 2 weeks notice to justify a rematch with CM, if he keeps beating everyone ranked at his spot or under.  The bigger question is if CM will still be in that weight division after his inevitable fight with Aldo.  He is making big cuts to make that weight and it might be too tough to do that the closer he gets to 30. 

Also, the reason why an 8 inch reach disadvantage is a killer is not only because it helps CM with his jab and left hand, but it also hurts Mendes's punching power.  In most other situations, those punches he is landing are stiff and powerful, but against CM, a lot of the time he was lunging, leaving his feet, not really planting and putting the power of his legs/hips into those punches.  That makes a huge difference.  That can be the difference between wobbling your opponent and just merely making contact.  

CM, took a lot of open clean shots to the face/chin/head where had it been someone who could actually plant before throwing, it might have sent him into a slumber.

Edited by NoCalMike

Mendes did enough on 2 weeks notice to justify a rematch with CM, if he keeps beating everyone ranked at his spot or under.  The bigger question is if CM will still be in that weight division after his inevitable fight with Aldo.  He is making big cuts to make that weight and it might be too tough to do that the closer he gets to 30. 

Also, the reason why an 8 inch reach disadvantage is a killer is not only because it helps CM with his jab and left hand, but it also hurts Mendes's punching power.  In most other situations, those punches he is landing are stiff and powerful, but against CM, a lot of the time he was lunging, leaving his feet, not really planting and putting the power of his legs/hips into those punches.  That makes a huge difference.  That can be the difference between wobbling your opponent and just merely making contact.  

CM, took a lot of open clean shots to the face/chin/head where had it been someone who could actually plant before throwing, it might have sent him into a slumber.

I got confused reading your posts about CM, due to the fact that both fighters have the same initials, lol.

Speaking of CM, I hope they make a movie about the GOAT soon. I think Conan O'Brien should play the role of Conor.

Frank Mir is still an active fighter?  I saw Todd Duffee fight, years ago before his star fell, but if he's anywhere close to that, it could be a murder.

That fight may very well be a close one, because both fighters probably have suffered some serious damage/wear, as of late.

Conor may have been at a greater disadvantage/handicap than Mendes, from the 2 weeks prep.

A fighter can, and really should, work on his cardio year-round, especially considering how frequently that replacements are needed for injured fighters

But a fighter can only prepare for a stylistic aspect of a matchup, if he knows well in advance, who is opponent will be.

Mendes and Aldo are completely different styles.

Who knows, with a full camp for both Mendes and Conor, maybe Conor "dispatches" him even quicker, by sparring appropriately for the matchup.

Different from being in shape and fight shape. Mendes doesn't get fat like Hendricks between fight, but I seriously doubt he stays in fight shape year round. I don't think that's maintainable. I don't see how Connor could be a greater disadvantage than Mendes. Regardless, I saw holes in Connor's game. His guard was absolutely dreadful. Chad passed his guard in the first round pretty easily. I think him going for the submission was a last effort kind of thing. The body shot and pressure he put on Mendes right after being taken down was impressive, but his striking defense is lacking. For a 8 inch reach advantage, Mendes tagged him a couple of times. Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Like 1