Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/21/9012101/ufc-fires-jacob-stitch-duran-cutman-reebok-sponsorship-comments-mma-news

Well, if Jacob 'Stitch' Duran was thinking about leaving MMA cut man work for boxing, it looks like the decision has just been made for him. The longtime UFC cutman recently spoke to Bloody Elbow about the Zuffa's Reebok deal, which went into effect earlier this month. Duran revealed that, as part of the deal, he and other cutmen & women had lost their own ability to carry sponsors on their apparel during UFC events. And unlike fighters, Duran said, he and the others in his profession weren't being compensated by Reebok for their losses. He went on to suggest that the move may lead him to consider doing more boxing work, as unspoken rules made cross-promotional MMA work difficult.

It looks like the UFC brass were not happy with those statements and Duran has since revealed, via Twitter that his contract with the promotion was terminated as a direct result:

@daej81 You will be the first to know that the UFC just let me go because I spoke out about the Reebok deal. Got to look for a new job!

— Jacob Stitch Duran (@StitchDuran) July 21, 2015

Pretty cheap and sleazy by the UFC if true. I imagine the rest of the fighters, except Aldo, will now shut up about the Reebok deal.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/21/9012101/ufc-fires-jacob-stitch-duran-cutman-reebok-sponsorship-comments-mma-news

Pretty cheap and sleazy by the UFC if true. I imagine the rest of the fighters, except Aldo, will now shut up about the Reebok deal.

I hope there was more to it than the comments he made to Bloody Elbow. You never want to see a guy lose his job, especially one that is supposedly as good of a guy as Stitch. But since he apparently has, I hope there was more of a reason than the relatively docile comments to Bloody Elbow.

Maybe he left profane messages on Dana's voicemail or a couple dozen bags of flaming poop on his doorstep. I might feel better about the situation if that were the case. Because if the quotes were all that got him canned, I don't feel very good about that.     

I hope there was more to it than the comments he made to Bloody Elbow. You never want to see a guy lose his job, especially one that is supposedly as good of a guy as Stitch. But since he apparently has, I hope there was more of a reason than the relatively docile comments to Bloody Elbow.

Maybe he left profane messages on Dana's voicemail or a couple dozen bags of flaming poop on his doorstep. I might feel better about the situation if that were the case. Because if the quotes were all that got him canned, I don't feel very good about that.

Stitch spoke some more here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/21/9012245/legendary-cutman-stitch-duran-says-ufc-fired-him-for-comments-about

On Tuesday, Duran told MMAFighting.com that he got a text and then a call from a UFC official who he preferred not to name. That official told Duran, an independent contractor, would no longer be hired by the UFC.

"Stitch," who had been working for the UFC since UFC 33 in 2001, said he was not surprised, but he felt he had to speak up. As someone who grew up as a farm worker under terrible conditions, he promised himself that he would not put up with "abuse" from employers again.

"I learned from that," Duran said. "There's no way that me as a person would go through that, as an adult, go through that again. It's been coming in the years where the UFC has just shown no respect for the great work that the cutmen do."

Duran said that he might have been most upset that UFC president Dana White didn't call him personally. White was the one who brought him on in 2001 after seeing him work a K-1 show at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Duran said he and White worked together to establish the UFC's cutman program and gives White credit for "changing my whole career."

"That's another thing that pisses me off, that he didn't have the balls to call me directly," Duran said of White. "He had some other guys call me."

"It's not like I'm going to lack any type of work," Duran said. "It's just that I really enjoyed working with the fighters and the people in the UFC. To get a nut shot by Dana in him not calling me and having the balls to call me, it just showed me the kind of characters that I was dealing with."

Duran believes things have changed from the early days of the UFC. He said that White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta used to be all about taking care of their fighters and employees. Now, Duran said White, once someone he had a tight relationship with, doesn't even say hello to him when they pass each other at events.

"Dana has definitely changed," Duran said. "Now it's all about the economics. It used to be a fighter friendly environment."

Man, Burt & now Stitch? Is this even the UFC anymore?

without Stitch, Lawler MacDonald 2 doesn't make it to the 5th round.

Thats the thing, Stitch wasn't just some non-descript ufc employee. His actions have a direct impact on the in-cage product. Stitch is widely regarded as the finest cutman around, not just in MMA, but by boxers as well.

Edited by StillUnknown

Just got a good look at tomorrow night's card. I'm psyched! I have a long shoot tomorrow so I hope I get home in time.

I think Dillashaw beats Barao again. Even though Bang Ludwig isn't with Alpha Male anymore, Dillashaw is still training with him. Ludwig has done wonders for Dillashaw's striking game. He looked twice as fast as Barao last time they fought, I don't see that changing enough to make a difference. Barao has power, but he's going to have to land that shot or he's going to picked apart again. His better chance is on the ground, but he doesn't have the wrestling to get Dillashaw to the ground.

Lauzon/Gomi should be fun as well. Both fighters are showing the effects of being in multiple wars. Lauzon should win, but he's extremely hittable and Gomi still has that killshot. I'm going with Gomi by KO.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

I am rooting for TJ, but I expect a pretty close fight.  Barao pretty much said that the right hand that TJ landed in the first round of their 1st fight changed the fight. He was almost shot at that point and never fully recovered.  Not saying that can't happen again, but if Barao avoids something big and jarring early on I am interested to see how the fight plays out.

Also, Tate vs. Eye should be a fun war.

main card fighters better finish fights, been some shady scorecards on the prelims

Whoa. It's only 7pm CST where the fights are being held, and they're already startin the main card, with only 4 more fights scheduled ?

Early start !

And Lauzon ends it in just about 2 minutes.

At this rate, the fights will all be over by 10pm !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

IMO, Jessica Eye won this fight. It's close, but UFC has a precedent that volume reigns over damage, and while I disagree with that way of thinking for MMA, that is the way UFC judges fights.  If they give it to Meisha here, then IMO they are going against that philosophy.