Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Sounds awesome actually. Ten bucks a month and every ppv is included? Sign me up. Plus access to their library of wrestling? I think it's a brilliant move.

It's an incredible deal. If you only typically buy two PPVs a year, you are coming out way ahead.

I wonder what kind of numbers they need to make this work financially, because this is basically the end of PPV, which was always their main revenue source.

Did you guys see Jake the Snake? Haha that was cool but his entrance music is awful.

It's okay to me. I mean, it ain't one of the best, but it seemed to be right for the moment lol.

I completely forgot about the press conference yesterday, but if what you're saying is true about the price and the PPVs, I am all over that.

Sounds awesome actually. Ten bucks a month and every ppv is included? Sign me up. Plus access to their library of wrestling? I think it's a brilliant move.

I will be getting this. Can't wait to see some classic NWA.

I am just saying whatever small tiny miniscule glimmer of hope any other wrestling company had, it was completely obliterated last night lol

Eh...there was no hope.

WWE drives me insane, but if there is going to continue to be anything resembling professional wrestling in the US and Canada, it has to be the WWE.

If - somehow - the WWE was suddenly bankrupt, there is not a pro wrestling company in the world that could afford their tape library.

• Like 1

Rumor has it that Jeff Jarrett and Toby Keith might start a wrestling company. From what I've heard, Keith has the $ to pull it off.

This is exactly what Jim Cornette did with Rick Rubin in Smoky Mountain Wrestling. And - frankly - it's what Jarrett did with Dixie Carter (who probably has the money to buy and sell Toby Keith several times). 

Jarrett and his dad are not as sleazy as most wrestling promoters, but they certainly know how to sniff out a money mark. They could probably put on a small promotion that lasts for a few years with Keith's money. But it's peak would be Smoky Mountain 2.0, meaning they could run monthly shows in Louisville and Memphis for a few years and then slowly die out once the aging stars they hired become ancient and the one or two young talents they discovered go to WWE Developmental.

Some remnant of pro wrestling is almost always going to survive in Memphis. The best way I can explain it is:

Wrestling:Memphis::Gogo:DC

The only way WWE is ever going to get a competitor is if something like NBC or Fox decides it needs to anchor it sports network with pro wrestling (unlikely) and hands over millions to someone who knows what they are doing but who is not a con man (good luck finding that in wrestling). Basically, you need NBC/Universal to give Gabe Sapolsky twenty million dollars and a guaranteed time slot. And even then it's a longshot.  I mean, what's more likely is Fox or NBC gives Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff a few million and a Saturday at 9 AM time slot. And even that is unlikely.

I think it is still possible to make money in wrestling on a small local level - and I think the Jarrets will both be doing that until they die. But, it's an impossible dream to ever get within 50 percent of what the WWE is now.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

It's an incredible deal. If you only typically buy two PPVs a year, you are coming out way ahead.

I wonder what kind of numbers they need to make this work financially, because this is basically the end of PPV, which was always their main revenue source.

Yeah this will end the PPV buy rate measurement I'm curious too. Either way you can only buy it in 6 month or year subscriptions. So even if you buy 6 months just for Wrestlemania you are still paying for the 5 months of ppvs whether you watch them or not.

I don't see how it fails. Because ten bucks is so cheap I can see just about everyone who loves wrestling signing up for this.

Yeah this will end the PPV buy rate measurement I'm curious too. Either way you can only buy it in 6 month or year subscriptions. So even if you buy 6 months just for Wrestlemania you are still paying for the 5 months of ppvs whether you watch them or not.

I don't see how it fails. Because ten bucks is so cheap I can see just about everyone who loves wrestling signing up for this.

Isn't Wrestlemania like $75 bucks now? Even if that's the only show I watch, I get it for 6 payments of $10 AND I can watch all the old wrestling footage I want.

I imagine that where they think they are going to clean up is advertising, which will be all theirs. What they are basically doing is controlling all the content and all the distribution, meaning they don't have to share any profits.

Their library is sick.  I think the only things they don't have are Memphis, Portland and Southeastern/Continental Wrestling. 

I don't think they have Georgia, but I could be wrong.

The problem I always heard with Memphis is that A) a lot of it is gone forever and B) who owns what remains is the subject of much debate.

I have honestly never seen anything from Portland tv. I imagine it would be easy to get the footage if it exists since it was always just one promoter.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

The library will include a little of everything according to the FAQ on WWE.com. All ECW/WWE/WCW PPVs will be available as well.

This is awesome. Beyond excited for this.

Wonder if it'll have old RAWs/Smackdowns/Nitro/etc?

Isn't Wrestlemania like $75 bucks now? Even if that's the only show I watch, I get it for 6 payments of $10 AND I can watch all the old wrestling footage I want.

I imagine that where they think they are going to clean up is advertising, which will be all theirs. What they are basically doing is controlling all the content and all the distribution, meaning they don't have to share any profits.

Which is totally genius. Wonder if we'll see any other sport leagues try something like this? Can you imagine how many people would pay for an NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL package like this??

Wonder if we'll see any other sport leagues try something like this? Can you imagine how many people would pay for an NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL package like this??

I'm sure they're all gonna pay attention to the numbers the WWE pulls in.

Some highlights from the FAQ:

2. How much will a subscription to WWE Network cost?
A monthly subscription to WWE Network is $9.99 per month (plus tax where applicable) with a 6-month commitment.

3. How do I purchase WWE Network?

To subscribe to WWE Network, go to WWE.com beginning Monday, February 24 at 9:00 a.m. ET.

6. What devices will WWE Network be available on?

WWE Network will be available on desktops and laptops via WWE.com. On February 24, WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on: Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices; Android devices such as Samsung Galaxy; iOS devices such as Apple iPad and iPhone; Roku streaming devices; Sony PlayStation® 3 and Sony PlayStation® 4; and Xbox 360. Availability on additional devices, including Xbox One and select Smart TVs, will follow this summer.  For more information, go to wwe.com/devices.

10. What content will I find on WWE Network?

WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library.  WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes.  Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

11. Will WrestleMania be available as a part of this subscription?
Yes, WrestleMania is included with your subscription.

12. Will encores of Raw, SmackDown and Main Event be on WWE Network?
Yes, encores of these programs will be available on WWE Network.

14. Will classic WWE content be available on WWE Network?

Yes, your WWE Network subscription will include access to the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes.  Additional content will be added regularly.

15.  Will "WWE Superstars" and NXT air on WWE Network?

Yes, premiere episodes of Superstars and NXT will air on WWE Network.

16. Will Raw, SmackDown and Main Event move to WWE Network?
No, Raw, SmackDown and Main Event will continue to air on their current networks – USA, Syfy and ION television, respectively.  

17. Will shows on WWE Network be available in HD?
Yes, all programming on the WWE Network will be available in HD.

27. Can I set up parental controls on the WWE Network?

Yes, parents will have the ability to block content that is rated TV-14 and TV-MA for on-demand content only.  Viewer discretion is advised for live 24/7 streaming programming.

Link: http://www.wwe.com/help

I have a feeling that this will be another failed endeavor for Vince, but only time will tell, I guess.

For the love of all that's holy.... why?!?!?!?!

$10/month and you get all the PPVs for that cost. Any wrestling fan who buys three a year would be screwing themselves by not getting this.

Edited by KDawg

For the love of all that's holy.... why?!?!?!?!

$10/month and you get all the PPVs for that cost. Any wrestling fan who buys three a year would be screwing themselves by not getting this.

The problem is the WWE's core audience is ages 8-17ish and I can't imagine their parents being happy about 6 months worth of recurring payments going on a credit card. And the older fans who get it to view the attitude era/ecw/wcw stuff won't have long term incentive to stick around. I could see this working when the WWE had an older target audience, but not now.

Once again, I could be wrong :)

The problem is the WWE's core audience is ages 8-17ish and I can't imagine their parents being happy about 6 months worth of recurring payments going on a credit card. And the older fans who get it to view the attitude era/ecw/wcw stuff won't have long term incentive to stick around. I could see this working when the WWE had an older target audience, but not now.

Once again, I could be wrong :)

Unless you're an idiot and want to pay 50 bucks for one singular ppv there's absolutely no reason not to subscribe to this.

Why would parents be upset? For a 120 bucks a year their kid can see every pay per view. You'd spend that in 3/4 months if you paid for each PPV right now.

To add: Not only is this a game changer but this basically destroyed UFC's "Fight Pass" service. Which costs 900 bucks a year to WWEs 120. I guarantee you Dana White took notice of this. McMahon knows ppvs, White himself said he invented it basically, so you will have him to thank when UFC is offering their ppvs for 10 bucks a month.

Edited by Big Weirdo