Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

I have a feeling that in 20 years, this will be the standard model for distribution of entertainment. WWE seems really ahead of the curve here - maybe too far ahead in some ways.

What makes this work for WWE is that they own all the content. Sports leagues could theoretically do this too, but the question is when will this kind of model earn them more than selling their broadcast rights to a network. The NFL currently gets $6 billion in rights fees. It would probably require 10 to 20 million subscribers to make something like that viable for them. Actually, it would probably be more because they would have to build their own broadcasting infrastructure. Granted they are partially there already with the NFL Network, so maybe those costs are mitigated a bit.

Where this gets tricky is the networks, cable stations, and syndication. CBS doesn't own all its shows. HBO owns it shows, but not the movies it shows. And the question becomes, would everything be available all the time? I would love an HBO subscription where all episodes of all their shows from, like, Dream On (not a good show, but the only early 90s show I could think of) to Larry Sanders to the Sopranos to Game of Thrones are available all the time.

I have a feeling that in 20 years, this will be the standard model for distribution of entertainment. WWE seems really ahead of the curve here - maybe too far ahead in some ways.

What makes this work for WWE is that they own all the content. Sports leagues could theoretically do this too, but the question is when will this kind of model earn them more than selling their broadcast rights to a network. The NFL currently gets $6 billion in rights fees. It would probably require 10 to 20 million subscribers to make something like that viable for them. Actually, it would probably be more because they would have to build their own broadcasting infrastructure. Granted they are partially there already with the NFL Network, so maybe those costs are mitigated a bit.

Where this gets tricky is the networks, cable stations, and syndication. CBS doesn't own all its shows. HBO owns it shows, but not the movies it shows. And the question becomes, would everything be available all the time? I would love an HBO subscription where all episodes of all their shows from, like, Dream On (not a good show, but the only early 90s show I could think of) to Larry Sanders to the Sopranos to Game of Thrones are available all the time.

Well the thing is, maybe it would inspire networks to come up with their own shows?

I bet there's a lot of networks/leagues looking at the WWE and seeing what will happen. The smartest thing the WWE did was require a 6-month commitment. This prevents people from just paying $10/month to watch Wrestlemania and then cancel. I saw that last year, the WWE had a million people buy Wrestlemania. So if they can get a million people to sign up for this, they will be raking in the money. You're basically paying $120/yr, which is what the cost of 2-3 PPVs? I can't think of any reason a WWE fan wouldn't sign up for it.

They could use it for teams. Meaning, I want the Washington Redskin package. I can get all of their games with that package. Including replays and classic footage. But, if I want to watch other games, I'll have to still get red zone, or watch on CBS/FOX. They could also very easily make games that are national (SNF, MNF) only available via SNF/MNF's channel. That would keep the broadcast rights and give team's fans something to watch.

They could use it for teams. Meaning, I want the Washington Redskin package. I can get all of their games with that package. Including replays and classic footage. But, if I want to watch other games, I'll have to still get red zone, or watch on CBS/FOX. They could also very easily make games that are national (SNF, MNF) only available via SNF/MNF's channel. That would keep the broadcast rights and give team's fans something to watch.

The one thing to remember is that NFL teams share revenue. At least for now. What you are proposing seems more in like with what MLB does - where teams control their own local cable tv deals. That's why 'big market' teams bring in so much more revenue than small market teams.

Yes, this is going to change everything eventually, but that's something to consider.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

By the way, I started relucatantly listening to Jim Cornette's podcast. Some of it is what I feared - a bitter Cornette ranting about stuff or a weird Cornette talking to people I don't know (Kenny Bollin). But this week's episode was kind of interesting. I barely know who Kevin Sheed is, but it gave Cornette a chance to explain why it is so very hard to build a wrestling company in today's market. The raw numbers involved with ROH (which - mind you - is the number 3 company in America right now) are shocking. Things like:

- A good building for an ROH show being one that could seat 750 people.

- The idea that the company could only afford six airline tickets for any one event

- The idea that drapings and lighting setups for a live event that would air on tv cost around $10 grand (for a showing with 500 people in the audience).

- The fact that when Cornette got there they were running just 2 shows a month.

He did bring up the Jarrett and Toby Keith thing and said that it would probably be a better business idea for Jarrett to get in the country music business than for Keith to get in the wrestling business.

Next week he has a guest I'm interested in - Bill Dundee. Dundee was the #2 guy for over a decade in Memphis - despite being a paunchy 5'6" Australian.

I imagine next week he will touch on the WWE Network and I'm interested in his thoughts. Cornette actually knows an awful lot about the production side of wrestling and generally does not go into bitter rants when talking about that. (For example, he had an awful lot to say about proper wrestling rings this week, which was weirdly interesting. One of his first acts when getting to ROH was to get rid of what he called "the death trap indie ring" they were using and getting a real WWE style ring. I guess the typical indie ring is a filmsy, cheap, trampoline like thing that makes high spots extra bouncy or something).

http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2014/01/heres-first-look-wwe-networks-upcoming-show-legends-house/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uproxx%2Ffeatures+%28Uproxx%29

If Hacksaw Jim Dugan doesn't carry around a 2x4 all the time, I'm going to be extremely disappointed. This seems like Gallen's dream show.

The most interesting guy on that show might turn out to be Hillbilly Jim. He seems to have a created a small but successful career as some kind of outlaw, biker, redneck icon.

I've seen enough Piper shoot interviews to know that he is going to be an exhausting presence on this show. Cocaine and head trauma is not a good combination.

Patterson is 70something almost incomprehensible at times.

Jimmy Hart could be interesting.

Duggan is kind of sad these days. I don't know if I would want to watch him on a reality show. Same with Atlas. There is a very good chance that Atlas is doing this show for the free housing.

Every wrestler on every shoot interview praises Finkle to the moon.

• 2 weeks later...

That will pop the 75 people in attendance who watch TNA.

Listened to Part 2 of Roddy Piper on the Austin podcast today. It's an interesting interview if you can get past just how scrambled his mind is.

You may be right, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was there.

The WWE can make just about anyone a star, why not AJ?

Because he is a 5'10 36 year old who spent his prime years in a nothing company. And they already have two guys a lot like him that they barely know what do with. Because they'd rather develop their own talent now.

By the way, he wouldn't be called AJ Styles in the WWE. They already have an AJ.

The only reason they want to develop their own talent is because there's no other company that's producing stars anymore. If TNA was big, like WCW was, guys like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles would have probably been gone to the WWE long ago.

With all that being said, AJ Styles is still my surprise prediction.

The only reason they want to develop their own talent is because there's no other company that's producing stars anymore. If TNA was big, like WCW was, guys like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles would have probably been gone to the WWE long ago.

Eh...even when WCW was big, the WWE generally repackaged the talent they brought in. You had to be at the level of The Road Warriors or Ric Flair to come in as yourself. 

Remember Steve Austin basically created the Stone Cold character in ECW after he was fired from WCW (where he was almost always an upper midcarder). Vince's grand idea was to give him a mouthpiece in Dibiase and make him The Ringmaster.

Mean Marc Callous became The Undertaker.

Vinny Vegas became Diesel.

Snotty Frenchman Jean-Paul Lévesque became Connecticut blue blood Hunter Hearst Helmsley who after 34 years of failed pushes was given a female bodyguard and became HHH. (Does anyone remember HHH teamed with Mr. Hughes besides me?)

Gigolo The Diamond Studd became Cuban Razor Ramon.

The Natural Dustin Rhodes became Golddust.

Vader stayed Vader that was mainly because he would be leaving too much money on the table in Japan if he changed his gimmick. Vince wanted him to be "The Mastadon."

Jericho and Benoit came over pretty much the same didn't they?

Jericho did basically come over as himself.

There was an extremely brief period from '97ish to '99ish where you could come in from either ECW or WCW as the character you were. Even Taz got to do this.

Normally, they jobbed your ass out for a bit instead of repackaging you. And then they told you that you didn't know how to work main event style. (I mean, Jericho was dropping matches to Chyna during this period).

I feel like Punk is the last person to come in as himself. Punk's career is pretty remarkable - all things considered. I remember getting into an argument on a wrestling board when he debuted, because I figured he would be back on the indies in under a year. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a wrestler.

Rey Mysterio, Booker T and even Lex Luger pretty much came in as themselves. What about Blanchard and Anderson? I here what you're saying LKB, but not everyone was given a silly gimmick.

Luger came in as a bodybuilder in another sport. He went from WCW to WBF.

Mysterio, Booker T and a few others are all in that late 90s period I was talking about. If I'm not wrong, when Booker T debuted, Vince already owned that gimmick.

Anyway, let's not go over every wrestler who ever showed up in the WWE/WWF. And let's not pretend AJ Styles is any of these people.

(Arguing with TNA fans is difficult, because you are arguing with people passionate about something that 99.9 percent of the people in this country do not know exists. As least ROH fans seem to realize that no one watches their show. As I've said before, I'd be willing to bet money that Vince has never seen Samoa Joe wrestle).

Luger came in as a bodybuilder in another sport. He went from WCW to WBF. Mysterio, Booker T and a few others are all in that late 90s period I was talking about. If I'm not wrong, when Booker T debuted, Vince already owned that gimmick. Anyway, let's not go over every wrestler who ever showed up in the WWE/WWF. And let's not pretend AJ Styles is any of these people. (Arguing with TNA fans is difficult, because you are arguing with people passionate about something that 99.9 percent of the people in this country do not know exists. As least ROH fans seem to realize that no one watches their show. As I've said before, I'd be willing to bet money that Vince has never seen Samoa Joe wrestle).

What, because he owned the WCW he owned Booker T's gimmick? Ricky Steamboat is another one. The Rockers? Hey, you were the one who said, unless you're someone like Flair or the Warriors, you had to change your gimmick.

And I'm willing to bet Vince have seen Samoa Joe wrestle. Didn't he and Cena have some classic matches a while back?

They already have enough older guys who people already know. They don't really need MORE people except females...and they have women in NXT to bring up. There already isn't enough TV time for these guys as solo acts. Either team with with a few others like the Shield, or go bigger like DX 2.0 with HHH, Chyna, The Outlaws and XPac. You'd see all of them on TV even if just Xpac had a match. It worked.