Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

What, because he owned the WCW he owned Booker T's gimmick? Ricky Steamboat is another one. The Rockers? Hey, you were the one who said, unless you're someone like Flair or the Warriors, you had to change your gimmick.

And I'm willing to bet Vince have seen Samoa Joe wrestle. Didn't he and Cena have some classic matches a while back?

Ricky Steamboat came in as a martial artist - which was a weird thing considering I don't think he actually knew karate.

And I'm clearly wrong here. AJ Styles is going to win the Royal Rumble and main event Wrestlemania. And, in between, he will be working a House of Glory card in Ridgewood, NY for $200 and gas money.

AJ Styles is not going to be a WWE guy unless he accepts a low ball offer. WWE has an AJ. WWE doesn't need another small, athletic type. That niche is covered by Punk and Bryan. Personally, Styles doesn't really intrigue me in the least.

Ricky Steamboat came in as a martial artist - which was a weird thing considering I don't think he actually knew karate.

And I'm clearly wrong here. AJ Styles is going to win the Royal Rumble and main event Wrestlemania. And, in between, he will be working a House of Glory card in Ridgewood, NY for $200 and gas money.

I didn't say he was gonna win it. Just appear in it. Just a prediction.

But like I said, many wrestlers came in and weren't given silly gimmicks.

I didn't say he was gonna win it. Just appear in it. Just a prediction.

Have they ever had random indie workers show up?

I think you'll see a few "legends" like Jake Roberts. But I have no earthly idea what an AJ Styles appearance would even mean, because 1) they aren't going to call him AJ and 2) they aren't going to acknowledge TNA's existence.

"And number 19 is Allen Stonebreaker."

PS

They eventually literally gave Ricky Steamboat a dragon (well, a giant lizard but still).

That was the weird "Everyone has a pet" era of the WWF. Which was secretly weirder than the "Everyone has a part-time job" era of the WWF.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

I don't watch much wrestling at all, but my friends and I get together each year to gamble on the Royal Rumble match.  It's blind luck, but who are the horses I want this time around?  I heard Batista came back so I assume drawing him would be a possible winner.  Punk, Cena, all the usual suspects I'd assume are good bets to be there at the end.  Anyone else getting a push that I should know about? 

I don't watch much wrestling at all, but my friends and I get together each year to gamble on the Royal Rumble match.  It's blind luck, but who are the horses I want this time around?  I heard Batista came back so I assume drawing him would be a possible winner.  Punk, Cena, all the usual suspects I'd assume are good bets to be there at the end.  Anyone else getting a push that I should know about? 

Roman Reigns

• Like 1

Daniel Bryan. He isn't advertised in the match, but it is still a good possibility that he can win it.

John Cena is in the World Championship match, so I doubt he even participates in the rumble.

It's going to be Batista, Punk or "Field." I'm not even sure Bryan is in the Rumble.

Wrestlemania is going to be truly bizarre. Old-timers and part-timers going over regular talent in every match.

Batista-Orton almost certainly

UT- Bryan maybe

Cena/Hogan versus someone Shield? Wyatts?

HHH versus someone probably

Brock versus someone

Maybe even the New Age Outlaws versus someone

Roman Reigns

I think Reigns' rocket push might be on hold until the fans get tired of Batista. Batista sorta occupies Reign's space right now.

If anyone from TNA shows up..the person who would shock me the least is Sting. Yeah, he's old and doesn't want to wrestle..but I could see Vince still thinking of Sting as the one he could never get his hands on. Plus, I read somewhere his contract is up with TNA.

---

Reigns has the youth, bloodline, and appears to have the mat skills to be a star for a long time. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Daniel Bryan. He isn't advertised in the match, but it is still a good possibility that he can win it.

John Cena is in the World Championship match, so I doubt he even participates in the rumble.

There's only 20 guys listed on the wwe website, and I can only picture five of them in my head, and one of those is Goldust, a throwback to when I watched consistently.  I assume 2-3 spots will be reserved for old-timers making cameos, but that still leaves a few spots for surprises.

It's going to be Batista, Punk or "Field." I'm not even sure Bryan is in the Rumble.

Wrestlemania is going to be truly bizarre. Old-timers and part-timers going over regular talent in every match.

Batista-Orton almost certainly

UT- Bryan maybe

Cena/Hogan versus someone Shield? Wyatts?

HHH versus someone probably

Brock versus someone

Maybe even the New Age Outlaws versus someone

I think Reigns' rocket push might be on hold until the fans get tired of Batista. Batista sorta occupies Reign's space right now.

I think you are giving Batista too big of a push. The WWE knows that nobody wants to see a Batista/Orton feud for the main event at Wrestlemainina. If they do that, they gotta take the belt from Orton.

I think WM is shaping up as

Bryan vs Cena for the belt

UT vs Lesnar

HHH vs Punk

Reigns vs Rollins vs Ambrose Triple Threat match for the US title

Goldust vs Cody Rhodes

Reigns has the youth, bloodline, and appears to have the mat skills to be a star for a long time. 

Him and Big E. They both have what Vince like. Size, Power, and a little charisma. They are the future.

If anyone from TNA shows up..the person who would shock me the least is Sting. Yeah, he's old and doesn't want to wrestle..but I could see Vince still thinking of Sting as the one he could never get his hands on. Plus, I read somewhere his contract is up with TNA.

---

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Sting is still under contract. Sting is the one guy from TNA that Vince would sign in a heartbeat. Like you said, he's the one guy Vince couldn't lure to the WWE.

I'm not sure they care about Sting any longer; I'm not sure anyone cares about Sting at this point.

I'm sure he made decent money, but being a full-timer in TNA for all these years has pretty much killed Sting as anything special.

WCW closed in 2001. Does anyone even remember him at this point?

Having said all that, I think you could get 3 decent moments with Sting

1) He would be a pretty good surprise entrant into the Rumble. The Rumble - like Wrestlemania - gets the attention of old school fans who will know who he is. Him hitting the ring and clearing it would be pretty good.

2) I think you could get a decent Wrestlemania match out of Sting and Taker. Goth legends in a one-time only dream match. And - again - that would appeal to the nerds who buy and attend Wrestlemania.

3) I think you could get a pretty good one month run to a title match against Orton or whoever in the dead time after WM. It would at least be something different and you could build it around "Sting never wrestling for the WWE title" or something.

After that, he's just a 55 year old who the fans aren't going to care about long term. Maybe you sign him to a legends deal and put him in the Hall of Fame in 2015.

Actually, I think he would be a pretty good choice to induct The Ultimate Warrior into the Hall of Fame. So....maybe four moments. Five if you count his own induction.

(Again, I point out that it's been 13 years since he was a relevent national player. In 1999, this would be like arguing that the main event at Wrestlemania should be Austin-Rock, but what the card really needs is a surprise appearance by King Kong Bundy. Wrestlemania is already too much of a nostalgia show as it is, and it's apparently going to be built around 45 year old Dave Batista).

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

It's sad times that the WWE is forcing themselves to rely on old faces or guest hosts as a cheap attempt to boost ratings which hasn't been working.

Use your roster and not guest/legends to hog TV time. Can't make compelling story-lines because majority of the roster has poor mic skills or can't wrestle. Probably have no business being in the WWE. WWE always has had the problem with a handicap roster where most of the roster has serious weaknesses whether it's in the ring or on the mic. If your not a pro with both skills, WWE shouldn't be signing you. Wit no competition, WWE is in the position to be picking & choosy. Problem is Vince goes for "the look" approach and it has hurt them, he still thinks the WWE should be a land of 7 foot giants.

WCW closed in 2001. Does anyone even remember him at this point?

Honestly, I remember Sting from when he had his spiky blond hair surfer gimmick, battling people like Ric Flair and The Great Muta.  That was back when you watched whatever wrestling program happened to randomly be on TV.  Once the two big companies went national, I was WWF/E all the way, I never gave WCW much attention, and as a result, missed a ton of Sting's career.  I'm only barely aware of his attempt to be the guy from The Crow, I pretty much missed the entire NWO storyline, and I was only aware of Goldberg and the undefeated streak because of other people talking about it.  I only had room for one company in my life, and it was WWF.

Honestly, I remember Sting from when he had his spiky blond hair surfer gimmick, battling people like Ric Flair and The Great Muta.  That was back when you watched whatever wrestling program happened to randomly be on TV.  Once the two big companies went national, I was WWF/E all the way, I never gave WCW much attention, and as a result, missed a ton of Sting's career.  I'm only barely aware of his attempt to be the guy from The Crow, I pretty much missed the entire NWO storyline, and I was only aware of Goldberg and the undefeated streak because of other people talking about it.  I only had room for one company in my life, and it was WWF.

Sting has had a really weird career when you break it down. He became a "star" in 1988 when he had that time limit draw with Flair at the Clash of the Champions and from that moment was always the NWA/WCW "next big thing." And then it really never happened. He had a good feud with the Horsemen, got the title in 1990, and then totally flopped as champ.

He was always the #2 guy in the #2 promotion, it seemed. When Hogan showed up, he was pretty much redundant. When the NWO formed, they re-created him and that is the one moment when he was possibly the biggest wrestler in the world - and he never had a match (which was actually the smart move but was still strange). 

Then - at Starrcade 97 - it was time. He was going to crush Hogan, take the title, and become the biggest name in wrestling. And he lost. Clean. (Watch the match. It was supposed to be a screw job, but it came across as a clean pin by Hogan). And he was suddenly a pretty terrible wrestler.

WCW had one more chance to make something out of him with the NWO Wolfpac/Hollywood angle, but that went nowhere and at that point, Sting was pretty much done.

He's probably been the biggest name in TNA for a decade, but that just makes you a star in Double AA baseball. In your 40s and 50s.

Sting's career has been long. He's held a ton of titles. He's always been over. He's had great matches. He's had memorable feuds. And - ultimately - none of it seems to have meant much. It's a weird career.

• Like 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sting_(wrestler)   Sting (wrestler)

Not to be confused with Sting (musician).
Sting 220px-Sting_%28wrestler%29.jpg

Borden in 2007.
Birth name Steve Borden Ring name(s) Blade Runner Flash

Flash Borden

Sting[1] Billed height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)[1] Billed weight 250 lb (110 kg)[1] Born March 20, 1959 (age 54)[2]

Omaha, Nebraska[3] Resides Dallas, Texas[4] Billed from "From every man's nightmare"

Venice Beach, California[1] Trained by Red Bastien[3][5]

Rick Bassman Debut 1985

Steve Borden[6] (born March 20, 1959),[6] better known by his ring name Sting, is an American professional wrestler and author best known for his time spent with World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Owing to his loyalty to the now-defunct promotion, Sting came to be known as "The Franchise" of WCW during the 1990s and early 2000s.[7][8][9]

Sting is a fifteen-time World Champion, having held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship twice, the WCW World Heavyweight Championship six times, the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship twice, the WWA World Heavyweight Championship once and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship four times. He is a WCW Triple Crown winner, has held 21 total championships between WCW and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA), and is the only man to hold the NWA, WCW, and TNA World Titles in his career. Sting has headlined many major pay-per-views since the late 1980s. Perhaps most notably, he closed the 19891990 and 1997 editions of WCW's premier annual event, Starrcade, in singles matches, and won the Battlebowl main event of the 1991 edition; as well as headlining the 200620072008, and 2009 editions of TNA's premier annual event Bound for Glory.

Sting began making appearances in TNA in 2003, and was signed to a full-time deal in 2005. Sting was announced as the inaugural inductee into the TNA Hall of Fame in June 2012.[1] Pro Wrestling Illustrated readers voted Borden "Most Popular Wrestler of the Year" a record four times (shared with John Cena).[14]

That shows Sting has a great fanbase. He wrestles tonight for the TNA Championship and a chance to be a sixteen time champ. If he loses he does not get a new TNA contract. His old contract expired.

http://en.wikipedia....ting_(wrestler)   Sting (wrestler)

Sting is the only man to hold the NWA, WCW, and TNA World Titles in his career. Sting was announced as the inaugural inductee into the TNA Hall of Fame in June 2012.[1] Pro Wrestling Illustrated readers voted Borden "Most Popular Wrestler of the Year" a record four times (shared with John Cena).[14]