Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

The only thing TNA does better is their women's division. The backstage stuff is awful. Hogan sucks at everything now. He just does. I will give them credit for seeing a storyline out. But when its a bad one, ouch.

You can say the same thing with the WWE though. They throw out some stinkers for storylines. But then again, they can afford to.

What did you think DM? I watched it last night and thought it was a very good show. Bigger crowd than I expected and a really loud crowd. They really popped for Sting, and that match with Aries was excellent. Sting can still put on a good match, and Aries is one of the best. All in all, I was impressed with the show.

I thought it was a very good show. That was Sting's best match since his WCW days IMO. And Aries is one of the best going today.

And what about Hardy. Goes from World champ to just one of the guys getting his ass kicked in a matter of 4 days.

Yeah, they need to know their role. Stop trying to compete with the WWE and just do you. I bet once they realize that they will become more successful. I kind of wished WCW took that approach.

WCW was a strange creature. I don't think Turner ever viewed it as more than a cheap production studio. It could have stayed in that role and still died when the Turner networks decided to class themselves up.

The only thing TNA does better is their women's division. The backstage stuff is awful. Hogan sucks at everything now. He just does. I will give them credit for seeing a storyline out. But when its a bad one, ouch.

I have to give credit where credit is due. The Hogan/Sting segment was good. Hogan to Sting, "You make me sick."

TNA currently features some of my ALL-TIME favorites (Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Kurt Angle) and newer guys that I've loved since ROH (Kenny King and Austin Aries) yet I still can't get myself to watch even a second of it.

I just feel like it's so irrelevant. Maybe I'm just growing out of wrestling. I used to watch both TNA and WWE religiously. Now, I barely watch either.

But I'll still spend hours on youtube watching WWF, WCW, ECW shows though. lol. Odd

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Yeah, they need to know their role. Stop trying to compete with the WWE and just do you. I bet once they realize that they will become more successful. I kind of wished WCW took that approach.

That's a misconception. NWA/WCW didn't need to "know their role." They had just as much history and was as big as the WWE. The only difference was the WWE knew how to market their product and for the most part, WCW didn't.

As for TNA, just keep putting on shows like they did last night and eventually they'll catch fire. Right now, the WWE is stagnant. The time is right for another promotion to emerge.

I have to give credit where credit is due. The Hogan/Sting segment was good. Hogan to Sting, "You make me sick."

I guess I just didn't dig it. Felt fake and scripted...which it was and it always is. But you'd think a guy who's been doing this for so long like Hogan can come across better. Sting was fine.

Oh, and while Taz is a better heel announcer than Cole. I still hate the whole good guy/bad guy announcer bit.

Oh, and while Taz is a better heel announcer than Cole. I still hate the whole good guy/bad guy announcer bit.

I was never a fan of heel announcers. I preferred the old NWA announce teams of Schiavone, J.R and the underrated Bob Caudle.

Jesse Ventura and the Brain beg to differ.

The heel v face announcing dynamic is excellent. These current announcers just arent any good

It's apples and oranges. The NWA took more of a real sport approach to wrestling. The WWE were about entertainment.

Even in its entertainment heydey when I was a child, Gorilla Monsoon still acted like it was a sport. Winners purse, rankings, etc.

Today it's a disaster. Instead of "We all know its fake, enjoy the show" its "we all know its fake, lets make it even faker"

Yet I still watch like an idiot.....

Even in its entertainment heydey when I was a child, Gorilla Monsoon still acted like it was a sport. Winners purse, rankings, etc.

Today it's a disaster. Instead of "We all know its fake, enjoy the show" its "we all know its fake, lets make it even faker"

Yet I still watch like an idiot.....

LOL. I hear you. We might know it's fake, but I still like to be surprised. In a way, the internet has killed wrestling. Back in the day, when something happened, it was a total surprise. It's virtually impossible to surprise fans these days. There's no way TNA can pull of a Rick Rude moment to get people talking.

That's a misconception. NWA/WCW didn't need to "know their role." They had just as much history and was as big as the WWE. The only difference was the WWE knew how to market their product and for the most part, WCW didn't.

I hear that, but too me it look like once the Monday Night Wars died down, stuff started to get crazy. I didn't really watch WCW like that so I don't know. But I just knew that they didn't have the it that WWE had. But going back looking at things I realize that they were just trying to hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Not saying the WWE needs to be worried yet, but they better start looking over their shoulder because right now, there's no doubt in my mind that TNA is the more exciting show. Unfortunately for TNA, they won't have a Lex Luger or Rick Rude moment, but TNA is slowly starting to remind me of when WCW Monday Night Nitro first came on.

It's apples and oranges. The NWA took more of a real sport approach to wrestling. The WWE were about entertainment.

Roddy Piper more or less invented the heel announcer schtick in Georgia in the early 80s. And Georgia treated pro wrestling like it was an Olympic sport.

Piper's take on it was actually pretty fascinating. He wore a suit or sport coat. He was incredibly respectful to Gordon Solie to the point that he always called him "Mr. Solie." He more or less called the matches straight, except he would point out when the face was cheating and would overly praise the heel. Unless, an Armstrong was wrestling. At that point, he basically went full on heel.

TNA will never breathe the same air as WWE. That's a pipe dream DM.

The only reason WCW could sign the guys they could was because they had a billionaire backing them up. TNA does not. TNA still has ****** ratings and can't even sell out their biggest show of the year

Their are still a lot of ppl that watch wrestling yet have no clue what a TNA Impact is

I've been thinking for years about what they could conceivably do to make a mark but I can't think of anything

I bet even if John Cena left for TNA, the company would still eventuall slow down

TNA, like WCW, draws a lot of ire from people who seem to want it to fail. It's not a great promotion, but it has its moments. Its storytelling, at the moment, is actually better than the WWE.

Regardless, I think it is essential for US pro wrestling that there is another viable national company - even if it is a small national company.

TNA' date=' like WCW, draws a lot of ire from people who seem to want it to fail. It's not a great promotion, but it has its moments. Its storytelling, at the moment, is actually better than the WWE.

Regardless, I think it is essential for US pro wrestling that there is another viable national company - even if it is a small national company.[/quote']

I just don't get WWE fans. Maybe they are sheep afterall. It does seem as if the majority want TNA to fail. Any "real" wrestling fan would want multiple promotions to thrive.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 02:47 PM ----------

TNA will never breathe the same air as WWE. That's a pipe dream DM.

The only reason WCW could sign the guys they could was because they had a billionaire backing them up. TNA does not. TNA still has ****** ratings and can't even sell out their biggest show of the year

Their are still a lot of ppl that watch wrestling yet have no clue what a TNA Impact is

I've been thinking for years about what they could conceivably do to make a mark but I can't think of anything

I bet even if John Cena left for TNA, the company would still eventuall slow down

Panda Energy (Owner of TNA) is an extremely wealthy company. If they wanted too, they could make a run at some WWE talent.

I hear that, but too me it look like once the Monday Night Wars died down, stuff started to get crazy. I didn't really watch WCW like that so I don't know. But I just knew that they didn't have the it that WWE had. But going back looking at things I realize that they were just trying to hard.

I don't think they were trying too hard. They just sucked, and were completely clueless.

They should've crushed the WWE, but they put their $$$ behind the wrong superstars, gave guys creative control, and also worried too much about what the WWE was doing. I remember always watching Nitro and hearing them go on about the matches on Raw, and eventually, it started to bite them in the ass, as the WWE started to get better and better.

The WWE had substance, and knew who their top guys were, and pretty much everyone excelled in their individual roles. The midcard feuds were even entertaining. Their (WCW's) cruiserweight division was insane. They had the best wrestlers from all over the freaking world, yet they wanted you to care more about Kevin Nash vs Lex Luger than the embarrassment of riches they had buried on their roster. I became exclusively WWF around the summer of '99, as it was evident then that WCW was finished. It just got worse and worse from there. I remember turning for a split second some time later, and laughing my ass off at this weird boy band stable that they had going. They were a complete joke. Russo completely annihilated whatever that was left.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

I just don't get WWE fans. Maybe they are sheep afterall. It does seem as if the majority want TNA to fail. Any "real" wrestling fan would want multiple promotions to thrive.

Maybe hardcore WWE fans. I think a lot their fans from 10-15 years ago don't watch the show in it's entirety anymore. I don't see any other explanation as to why someone who isn't a kid could sit through that entire show anymore. And yeah, competition (legit competition) is great for everybody, and that's true for companies across the globe.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Sad - Ric Flair's son (Reid) dies, at 24.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-reid-flair-dies-20130329,0,704880.story

Reid Flair, son of WWE star Ric Flair, reportedly dies at 24

By Houston Mitchell

March 29, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

Reid Flair, the 24-year-old son of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair, died Friday, wrestlingobserver.com is reporting. Details surrounding his death are unknown at this time.

Edited by The Evil Genius

I used to watch NWA, etc. as a kid. Got big into WWF during high school and college because of Big Daddy Cool, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, etc. When Hall and Nash bolted for WCW, we started watching both shows. We would flip back and forth if we had to. Sometimes record one on one tv, watch the other on a different tv (since there were only VCRs lol). Then the Nation, DX, started up and flat out rocked WCW, but NWO was still strong. And nobody can deny that Jericho and the NWO carried WCW. But ****ty writers was the downfall along with Billionaire Ted selling the company to Vince.

I can say that I was a fan of both companies, WWF and WCW and I hate the fact that they went under leaving it all under WWE. They tried their best to keep those belts around for a bit and the two shows, but everyone knew that Vince owned both brands and it didn't have the same effect "faking a rivalry". I keep hoping that TNA or another company emerges with enough cash and dedication to bring in talent and compete head to head with WWE on a regular basis. That's when us as fans get the best story lines, best matches, best screw jobs, major belts changing hands during an actual weekday show and not only at PPVs. Not to mention you get better PPV matches, more screw jobs at the PPV, face/heel turns, etc.

In reality, its very unlikely we will ever get that. Or its going to be a really long time, hell its already been 12 years since the fall of WCW and 11 years since TNA started. Its been since 2009 since Dixie Carters dad bought the remaining 29% of shares from Jeff Jarrett, 4 years almost and they haven't even made any sign of stepping it up to compete with the big dog.

Look at the wrestlers they have taken from WWE and it still didn't matter (Angle, Christian, Hardy boys, Duddleys, Hall, Nash, etc.). Most of them went back to WWE or are way past their prime. The ones that aren't past their prime aren't getting it done. They had a ton of momentum when Christian was still there and TNA champ, then they got the wind sucked out of them by him leaving. Every time it looks like they are getting better and taking 2 steps forward, they take 5 steps backwards.

Watching RAW on DVR delay... John Cena is succeeding in boring the crap out of me. Horrendous.

"in his first defense he'll lose the title."

Didn't he defend it against Punk at EC?

This is bad.

Boring chants from crowd... Good. Brutal.

Edited by KDawg