Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I being an Idiot or a Nice Guy (Read before voting)

Mass_SkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, considering the amount of serious discussions and give and take we've had around here the last couple days, I thought I'd put something a little less serious up here and see what you folks think of an activity I've gotten myself into for this fall.....

Some of you know that I'm involved in a Medieval Re-Creation group called the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA - www.sca.org). The group divides the world into 19 "Kingdoms", each with it's own leadership. The Kings and Queens of the Kingdoms are determined twice a year (or thrice a year in a couple kingdoms) by Right of Arms; meaning by a Grand Tournament, generally refered to as Crown Tourney. In this event 64 fighters battle it out in a double elimination tournament until there are only 4 left. The Semi-Finals are fought single victory to advance. The Finals are a best-of-three with each bout being fought with a different matching weapons form (weapon&shield/double weapon/greatweapon/polearm/spear) as chosen by each of the two combatants for the first two bouts and the deciding bout armaments being chosen by the current King (if necessary). The winner (and their opposite gender consort) are immediately crowned Prince and Princess of the Kingdom and serve in that capacity for approximately 6 months. At which time the King and Queen step down and the Prince and Princess take their place on the throne. Within 5 weeks from that corronation, the new King and Queen hold another Crown Tourney to determine their successors.

Being involved in this event is quite a challenge and an investment of time, money, and energy. There is a certain expected level of appearance for fighters, their consorts and their entire entourages. It's expected to be maintained from the time you arrive at the event until Feast is over later in the evening. If there's dancing after feast, it's expected to continue through that as well. It's also considered quite an honor for a Lady (or Lord) to be asked to be a fighter's Consort. It's a year-long commitment and investment of time if the fighter wins. You really need to be sure you can deal with that other person in close quarters and under loads of stress before you agree to do this.

Well, we have a wonderful Lady in our local group named Bridget. She's in her mid-20's and very active in the group despite numerous physical impairments and other restrictions. She doesn't let these things keep her down though. She's always doing something to help someone else out. Something to help the group. Never thinking of herself or worrying about her own health and needs. To the point that it's gotten her into trouble at times. The aforementioned physical issues also make it so that she's not the most physically attractive Lady in the world. These factors, and some other things mean that she's not the sort of person that most fighters would EVER think of asking for the right to Champion at Crown Tournament.

I, however, am not MOST fighters. I see what Bridget does in our group. I see what she puts herself through for the rest of us. What she endures to make sure the rest of us have a good time at events. I believe she really needs to be highlighted for these things. Unfortunately the awards structure for our group is highly politicized and Bridget isn't the sort of person who would poll well if she was put up for either of the awards she definitely deserves to get.

So, I decided there was only one other way to make sure she gets noticed by the population at large.... Champion her at Crown Tourney. To that end, I asked her permission this past Sunday to do just that at this fall's Crown Tourney. I told her that the day would be about HER, not me. I would fly HER colors, wear HER heraldry on my armor and shield, etc... After a long discussion on the why's, where's and what's of the idea, she is thinking about it. She has agreed to give me a firm decision by the end of June, but has given me a "probably" for now.

So what?, you say. What's the big deal? The big deal is that in the East Kingdom (where I live) Crown Tournament is a brutal, violent, event that chews good fighters up and spits them out. It's the second & third most violent tourney events of the year in our kingdom. We have some of the hardest hitters in the Knowne World in this Kingdom and most of them come out for Crown Tournament. Especially a Fall Crown. Suffice it to say that I am not one of those Top fighters. On an average day I'd win a fight or two, lose my pair of fights and be done in the tourney. On a GOOD day, I MIGHT make it to the final sixteen of the tourney. There is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that I could win this tourney. The chances of me sustaining injury in this tourney is probably 50/50. That injury could be anything from serious bruising and soreness to a concussion or potentially (though unlikely) a dislocated joint, broken bone or muscle injury.

So, what do you folks think? You've seen me for a while now, am I being an Idiot or a Nice Guy in doing this for Bridget? Am I risking potentially serious injury and ridicule (if I can't win even one bout) for no good reason or am I actually being a nice guy for a change?

Well, my first reaction was "Can't you be both? I know I often am"

But upon reading your story i'd have to say your being a nice guy. It takes a nice guy to recognize the accomplishments of somebody while looking through the superficial. More people should stick up for those that are about inner beauty, as it FAR outshines outer. If she is as fair as you say, she should be more than privilaged that you are willing to fight for her and happy with whatever results you are able to post for her.

:cheers:

I know its wrong, but I can't help thinking....

Seriously, sounds like you're trying to do something randomly nice for someone deserving. Can't relate to the context, but its the thought that counts. Besides, no one really even knows what the spleen does :laugh:

Hey, during the "battle" do you ever say, "Tis only a scratch!"

Actually this event is solely a tournament. It's one-on-one combat only. We do fight battles/melees quite often but they're a very different type of event with different rules of engagement and victory conditions.

As for your "'tis only a scratch!" question.... Blows are taken on a honor system. We're using rattan weapons opponents with a minimum armor standard. Fighters are on their honor to determine if a blow landed on their body was of sufficient force to count. A blow of sufficient force landed on the legs or arms disables that limb. Meaning a "legged" fighter must fight from their knees and an "armed" fighter must place the disabled limb behind their body. A blow of suffient force to the head or torso is considered "fatal" and ends a bout. If a blow lands with insufficient force or glance off, the fighter will yell out "light" or "glancing" to inform the opponent that the blow was not good. A fighter who repeatedly doesn't take solid blows or calls them "light" will find their opponents amping up the strength of the blows they throw.

Fighters not taking blows is a pretty uncommon thing in our group. Your reputation gets around pretty quick and "Rhinos" (people who fail to take blows) find it difficult to get involved in units or find friends on the field. You're more likely to find two fighters discussing a blow in this manner.. "Yeah, that was hard enough."; "No, it slid down the side of your helm. Don't take that." than to find the "I hit you hard enough"; "No, you didn't" sort of thing.

I'm at a loss for words. i'm honestly too scared to vote. This post explains A LOT. You can buy a suit of armor from sharper image for a couple grand.;)

That suit of armor from Sharper Image doesn't meet SCA minimum armor standards and would end up getting you more injured than it would protect you.

Go for it man

You don't ever get many chances to grab the bull by the horns so to speak

Thanks SHF. This is one of the two fighting events I've always wanted to participate in since I first got into armor about four years ago. I got to the first one last year and loved every moment of it. Including the nearly broken right ankle, the three days of fighting on that nearly broken ankle, and the complete white-wash the army I was fighting with endured that week.

Unfortunately, in the past I haven't been confident enough in my political or fighting skills to look at actually participating in Crown Tourney. Even if I only do it this once, I want to make it a magical day for Bridget. She deserves the recognition.

If she is as fair as you say, she should be more than privilaged that you are willing to fight for her and happy with whatever results you are able to post for her.

I thought she was going to fall over in tears when I asked her. I took her to the side at our weekly gathering on Sunday and asked her. She was stunned. Her exact comment was "Well, THAT was the absolute last question I ever expected to hear out of anyone's mouth." We talked about it for probably twenty minutes or so. Even at the end of the discussion she couldn't believe I'd really done it. Just being asked made her year, from what a mutual friend has told me.

I just really hope that her physical conditions allow us to do this. I also hope that I don't get out there and go two-and-out in the tournament. I know she isn't going to care, but to me it would be a real disappointment to make that poor of a showing for her.

I've seen these guys in the park near my house too. I had no idea there was so much involved. It sounds a little geeky perhaps but that's cool. I know guys who game and their are every bit as involved in details as you all seem to be. Whatever floats your boat.

And yes, that is a nice thing to do for a nice person. Or should I say - ah indeed, twould be a chivalrous deed Sir Mass. ;)

I just really hope that her physical conditions allow us to do this. I also hope that I don't get out there and go two-and-out in the tournament. I know she isn't going to care, but to me it would be a real disappointment to make that poor of a showing for her.

From the start of the thread I was going to recommend that you do it. Seeing that you genuinely want to do well for her makes me sure of that. When you have the chance to make a real impact in someone's life you have to take it, especially as deserving of recognition as it sounds like this woman is.

Best of luck to you. :cheers:

Nice guy. Unquestionably. And people who vote otherwise, I'll bet, are either not focusing on the gesture, or are rattling your cage.

It's their right to vote for "Idiot", no matter what their reasoning is.

And, although I'm not a big fan of all things medieval, the combat part sounds like a blast. :)

Check this out, it'll give you a little better idea of what we do.....

http://www.scademo.com/demo.fighting.php

I thought she was going to fall over in tears when I asked her. I took her to the side at our weekly gathering on Sunday and asked her. She was stunned. Her exact comment was "Well, THAT was the absolute last question I ever expected to hear out of anyone's mouth." We talked about it for probably twenty minutes or so. Even at the end of the discussion she couldn't believe I'd really done it. Just being asked made her year, from what a mutual friend has told me.

Perhaps you should change your screen name to "Red Dragon"!

Archived