Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So I decided to stop getting drunk.

dks1240

Wait 'til you hit 30. :doh:

When I saw "slow down" I mean mostly just drinking on the weekend and getting buzzed, a little drunk....but not falling down, pass out on the lawn, puking in the neighbors bushes drunk.

I used to drink 5-6 days a week in college.. :doh:

Yeah, I know what you meant. I dont have that tendency at all. :D

And i dont think im going to hit 30. :paranoid:

I drink about 10 or 15 times a year. 10 of those are at football games :) I probably get drunk 2 or 3 times a year. Not vomiting passing out drunk but pretty drunk. Those 3 days would be Dallas at home, Philly at home, and last year, the Giants at home. If it wasn't for football I would rarely if ever drink.

I drink about 10 or 15 times a year. 10 of those are at football games :) I probably get drunk 2 or 3 times a year. Not vomiting passing out drunk but pretty drunk. Those 3 days would be Dallas at home, Philly at home, and last year, the Giants at home. If it wasn't for football I would rarely if ever drink.

hmmm...here is the drunk at the Giants game HOF44 is referring to...he is in the Sean Taylor jersey...Bugs' in the D. Williams.

The tailgate...

24bob.jpg

:laugh:

:owned:

Yeah, I know what you meant. I dont have that tendency at all. :D

And i dont think im going to hit 30. :paranoid:

PB, don't say that! My best friend Ronnie used to say that and he died a month before his 29th Birthday. That was in 1989 and I got sober a month later and haven't drank since. I was 29 then and my son was 2yo. I didn't want him to see his daddy drunk, like I used to see mine. He'll be 19 in two weeks and has never drank or smoked. believe it, he's into health food and body building, and is making mostly A's in his first year in college.

Don't get me wrong, i'm in agreement with Tarhog. Moderation is key.

If you can't have fun with 1-3 drinks, your better off without it. My hats off to you social drinkers that drink responsibly, enjoy it and don't screw it up for yourself. On the other hand, my life without it has been a incredibly

rewarding and as your resident recovering alcoholic, I'm hear to tell that there is life without it and life is sweet. So have fun, and if you have trouble "cutting back" come visit us at Club Bill W. I'll save a seat for you. :cheers:

I think there is a natural tendency to drink less as you get older. Getting drunk ceases to become fun (and you're right, you usually end up doing something stupid). I have actually found I can't physically drink as much as I used to, and if I do drink alot the after-effects are worse than when I was younger. But it's OK, I don't miss drinking more. Besides, I wouldn't be able to enjoy time with my son if I was hungover in the morning.

I've been one helluva party animal for a good chunk of my life. I very rarely even tell some of the stories; I can barely believe them myself. :laugh:

But they're not all funny.

When I was 18 in Alaska (1972), pot was legal, the drinking age was 18, and the bars were open until 5am. Plus, I had known these hippies at the Bird Creek commune for four years already.

I do a lot of work with people who have chemical dependency problems...now that I'm staff here I expect to do more. :D

On a serious note, though, I offer a true buzzkill word to the wise: some people you can see early on and say "man, the way they go at it, they're headed for trouble." But there are, unfortunately, a HUGE number of folks paying psychological/physical/social/financial debts in their 40's+ for bills accrued by behaviors in their 20's & 30's+ when they were sure they were under control and thought the bad stuff would never happen to them. But it can and does, and way too often. So don't forget to self-assess every now and then and give such things a little thought. :)

Just FWIW, and apologies for the uncharacteristically somber tone.

Hah, My dad never drinks, but he might have some Wine on a very special occasion. My mom drinks sometimes, and when she does, she usally gets buzzed, or maybe a little drunk, and her story she tells me and my sister are so funny, then we go and make fun of her for it. Me personally, at 15, have never dranken any beer. I have though, had a little wine before, and a sip of champiegn(sp) on Milliuem New Years. (The wine I drank though is worst wine ever, Jew Wine, Manachevits(sp)!!!)

DKS, I am going to give you some REALLY, REALLY bad news....

You're soon moving to an area with effectively VERY LITTLE to do socially other than drink. We have minor league hockey and baseball, a couple museums and a few smaller music venues, but not a whole lot else here in the barrens of Central Massachusetts.

this place sounds like a BLAST compared to salisbury, MD!! :D

grad school will take up plenty of time.

i'm not saying i won't go to bars, but when i go, i'll just have a few.

in addition to this, my boyfriend is also not a big drinker (which is rare to find in 21 year old guys, and i really appreciate him for this)...we find sober ways to entertain each other :)

in addition to this, my boyfriend is also not a big drinker...we find sober ways to entertain each other :)

where are you going in mass?

This thread cracks me up. I have no doubts that peplep can have plenty of fun without drinkin'. No sweat.

But seriously. We all live in NOVA. There really isnt that much to do. Drikin' is kinda' a way of life. My whole seneario growing up pretty much revolved around getting wasted. If you have passed that ............... i have more to say, and i will say it manansa. I gotta pass out now.

But seriously. We all live in NOVA. There really isnt that much to do. Drikin' is kinda' a way of life. My whole seneario growing up pretty much revolved around getting wasted.

PB, I did most of my drinking in NOVA (spent 25 years in Arlington) and 3 years of sobriety there as well. And believe me, I and everyone else who's quit drinking, had the same objection to giving it up. But I also knew that drinking was holding me back career wise and otherwise.

It also kept me from doing the following: Moving away from NOVA :laugh:, Traveling to foriegn countries, skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving, riding/racing motorcycles, kayaking, designing and building a house on the top of a mountain, Owning a home, being happily married, being a good parent, taking care of my health, being self employed, saving money, and preparing for retirement.

If I had gotten my act together at 25 instead of 30, I'd be retired now. And I am very fortunate. Like Jumbo said, most substance abusers do so much damage to themselves mentally, physically, and emotionaly, that they strugle to have success in most aspects, after getting clean and sober. Imagine a car going thru a demolition derby, then trying to drive it for another 40 years :doh:.

Point is, what you're telling yourself is "the big lie". When alcohol becomes your life, soon you'll have no life. Life is sweet, don't waste it.

dks,

I admire your revelation at such a young age. For me, it took until age 25 to realize what you are realizing. Only, I found giving it up altogether was the only way to completely re-obtain the focus in my life. Saying alcohol distracted me was an understatement.

And it cracks me up that you all talk about nothing more to do in N. Va than drink. Heck I lived in 20,000 populated small town in South Georgia, where they closed the bowling alley and even the movie theater just before I moved. There wasn't even a mall--just a Goody's and Belk--you had to travel 40 minutes to a real mall.

I can honestly say that my life is so much more prolific and rewarding as a sober one. I don't have to work out much to maintain a good ideal body weight, no hangovers, no embarrassments, no beer goggle hook-ups, no wasting money on empty calories, and best of all---I can better do the will of what my creator intended me for-without chemical alteration. It is the best blessing to know that you are led by something good, rather than distracted by something that could lead to evil/temptation.

PB, I did most of my drinking in NOVA (spent 25 years in Arlington) and 3 years of sobriety there as well. And believe me, I and everyone else who's quit drinking, had the same objection to giving it up. But I also knew that drinking was holding me back career wise and otherwise.

It also kept me from doing the following: Moving away from NOVA :laugh:, Traveling to foriegn countries, skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving, riding/racing motorcycles, kayaking, designing and building a house on the top of a mountain, Owning a home, being happily married, being a good parent, taking care of my health, being self employed, saving money, and preparing for retirement.

If I had gotten my act together at 25 instead of 30, I'd be retired now. And I am very fortunate. Like Jumbo said, most substance abusers do so much damage to themselves mentally, physically, and emotionaly, that they strugle to have success in most aspects, after getting clean and sober. Imagine a car going thru a demolition derby, then trying to drive it for another 40 years :doh:.

Point is, what you're telling yourself is "the big lie". When alcohol becomes your life, soon you'll have no life. Life is sweet, don't waste it.

Ok, sounds like you had "problems" with the booze. Thats a lot different than what i think this thread is about. I certainly havent had any of those "problems."

Im 26. Drinking is not holding me back career wise, its actually a part of my job (im in sales), im a scuba diver, ive traveled to foreign countries (and gotten wasted). I own a home, I take care of my health, I'm basically self employed, i can save money, and ive already got a nice retirement fund. "The big lie" that im apparantly telling myself is what regular people call "living."

in addition to this, my boyfriend is also not a big drinker (which is rare to find in 21 year old guys, and i really appreciate him for this)...we find sober ways to entertain each other :)

I've never been to Salisbury, MD so I'm not really equipped to comment on the comparison.

Obviously Grad School will take up a large amount of your time. That's what Grad School is for, isn't it?? It's a way to ensure you don't have to go out and get involved in the REAL world after you finish college, right? LOL. Sorry, I've got a brother working on his PHD in microbiology at Columbia University in NYC right now and that's one of his comments on the subject.

It's good that you're not giving up the bar scene though. There really isn't much else for the young adult crowd to do here in Central Massachusetts. We've got like 11 colleges and universities here in Worcester and the surrounding towns but Worcester is a town with no life of its own. It's constantly trying to re-invent itself and failing miserably at it each time. In the 8 years I've lived in this area there's only been ONE thing that's brought the entire community together.... the death of 6 Worcester firefighters on the night of Dec. 3, 1999 in the Worcester Cold Storage Building fire. When you see the Red "W" with the number "6" superimposed over it around town, that's what it's refering to. Even that turned into a fiasco when they started talking about memorials and such.

I certainly havent had any of those "problems."

"The big lie" that im apparantly telling myself is what regular people call "living."

And I hope you don't ever have them, and I certainly didn't imply that you did. Sounds like life is going well for you so far.....good luck :cheers:

I've drank more liquor in the last year and a 1/2 then I have since I was in my early twenties. I'm trying to cut back also. Things had gotten out of hand for a while. Every weekend I had been getting destroyed. Not good, so the last couple weekends I've taken it easy.

I haven't read the whole thread but its been my experience that people make the decision to stop getting drunk when they regret doing something stupid or really embarrassing themselves.

If that was the case, I'd have stopped drinking about 100 times...:doh: :laugh:

The more I read of this thread the more I am exceptionally pleased that I never got interested in drinking much alcohol. Not that I could now even if I had when I was younger. Nowadays I'm generally packing heat when I'm in a restaurant or bar (legal in Mass.) and that doesn't mix well with drinking much.

For me the appeal of going out and driking wore off pretty fast. I will usually order a beer or margarita with dinner, but that is it. Drinking at bars/clubs got old because it would cost approx $20 for 3-4 Drinks when I could just go buy a bottle for the same price. Having a GF probably didn't help matters because the more intoxicated I became/become, the harder it would be for me not to pay attention to the other pretty girls in the bar besides my own GF.

I still drink, but getting DRUNK, is a rare occassion.

I haven't read the whole thread but its been my experience that people make the decision to stop getting drunk when they regret doing something stupid or really embarrassing themselves.

Yeah, like spending a couple hundred on a tab, and waking up next to a girl who's name you can't remember. Yup, that'll do it. :laugh:

Archived