Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So I decided to stop getting drunk.

dks1240

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good drink every now and then but slowly but surely I have become more and more turned off by the idea of drinking to the point of drunkeness.

I don't need alcohol to have a good time, and basically all drinking has ever given me was a hang over and the occasional bad fight with a loved one or me, in some other way, embarassing myself.

Just to elaborate, the other night at the bar I sat around a table with friends. I had one drink the whole night and just sat back and 'people watched' for a good bit of the night. There was this group of girls who were ridiculously drunk and I couldn't help but think just how pathetic and stupid they looked. I went home that night so pleased with myself for only having that one drink.

So with that, I have decided to stop getting drunk when I drink. Buzzed, sure. Tipsy, every once in awhile. And drunk, I'll just have to save that for special occassions (a good taitgate, for instance :) ).

And with that, I was curious if any of you use to drink more heavily when you were younger and for some reason the appeal of getting drunk simply wore off? Anybody not drink at all?

I drink far less than most of the kids around here. I'm pretty active in the community, and a lot of the things I do restrict drinking opportunities.

Last night, and tonight for example, I play in the Salisbury University Variety Show as the guitarrist for the Jazz Band. By the time I got back from that it was 11 O'Clock and I was exhausted, so I didn't go out. Granted I stayed up until 4 AM anyway, but that's besides the point.

I definitely enjoy drinking with friends, but last night about 6 of my friends barged into my dorm room, drunk as sin wearing togas last night...and I was so greatful that I didn't go out with them. I was more than content having a quite night at my computer, watching television. Generally speaking that's not what I do, but every now and then it's nice.

Tonight however, I've been trying to get my hands on a sixer of Yuengling, and so far I am failing miserably.

I used to drink like a fish. I'm talking Richard Dawson levels.

since about the age of 25 I drink less and less. Just about the only time I drink anymore is when I go to business dinners... I'll have a beer or 2 to make the conversation bearable :)

Actually I drank 6 beers last Sunday in one sitting... the most I have drank in a very long time. I had a little trouble getting up from the barstool. :)

Tonight however, I've been trying to get my hands on a sixer of Yuengling, and so far I am failing miserably.

ooh jeez, I have to go to work in less than an hour! I live a 5 minute walk away from your dorm...If you would have told me early, I would have broken the law and bought you some beer. :laugh:

I'm leaving at 5, PM me if you still have no luck before then.

drinking to get drunk is stupid, i drink to get a buzz, then i'm done. besides, i don't need to have a good time to drink :laugh:

You know...those stories you write and post on these boards would speak against that statement. Maybe you came out and told us they were just stories though. I don't know, if you did I must have missed it.

Even if they weren't true, they were damn good stories though. :):cheers:

I drank quite heavily at times untill I had kids,just part of the added responsibitity I guess.

It's been 20 yrs since I even approached the legal limit and I will not even have a drink with a meal when we eat out with the kids.

ooh jeez, I have to go to work in less than an hour! I live a 5 minute walk away from your dorm...If you would have told me early, I would have broken the law and bought you some beer. :laugh:

I'm leaving at 5, PM me if you still have no luck before then.

Ah, thanks! Will do.

DK, you're maybe 10 years ahead of the curve if you've figured this out. So many people are programmed to follow the herd that when the herd goes to the bar and gets s***faced, you do too. Some people never figure out that alcohol is, by itself, not all that much fun. Hoisting a few when you're out with friends is very different from just tossin' them down by yourself. Besides, there are way better places to meet women than bars, the good ones aren't going to be there.

I like getting drunk, but not f'ed up. However, ever since freshman year I never cared for getting blitzed, it just sorta happened a lot, especially sophomore year. I havent been drunk as much these past 2 years, and have stayed in instead of going to parties on more than one occasion.

However, I will still get drunk when I feel like it, and, I graduate in a month, so fun times are ahead!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good drink every now and then but slowly but surely I have become more and more turned off by the idea of drinking to the point of drunkeness.

I don't need alcohol to have a good time, and basically all drinking has ever given me was a hang over and the occasional bad fight with a loved one or me, in some other way, embarassing myself.

Just to elaborate, the other night at the bar I sat around a table with friends. I had one drink the whole night and just sat back and 'people watched' for a good bit of the night. There was this group of girls who were ridiculously drunk and I couldn't help but think just how pathetic and stupid they looked. I went home that night so pleased with myself for only having that one drink.

So with that, I have decided to stop getting drunk when I drink. Buzzed, sure. Tipsy, every once in awhile. And drunk, I'll just have to save that for special occassions (a good taitgate, for instance :) ).

And with that, I was curious if any of you use to drink more heavily when you were younger and for some reason the appeal of getting drunk simply wore off? Anybody not drink at all?

WOW I am impressed it took me to the age of 25 to figure that out :)

You are right there is no fun in getting drunk, it is all some dumb college way of saying you are cool, when in reality it is dumb :cheers:

DK, you're maybe 10 years ahead of the curve if you've figured this out. So many people are programmed to follow the herd that when the herd goes to the bar and gets s***faced, you do too. Some people never figure out that alcohol is, by itself, not all that much fun. Hoisting a few when you're out with friends is very different from just tossin' them down by yourself. Besides, there are way better places to meet women than bars, the good ones aren't going to be there.

Hey man, DKS is a woman.

You know...those stories you write and post on these boards would speak against that statement. Maybe you came out and told us they were just stories though. I don't know, if you did I must have missed it.

Even if they weren't true, they were damn good stories though. :):cheers:

:D just sories, and you are good, i WAS drunk when i wrote them - good call :cheers:

dks, you should be proud of your decision. You can certainly still have a good time only drinking a few, as opposed to getting slammed.

I used to drink about a 12-pack a week. I always had beer in the fridge, and would frequently have one in my hand. I'd usually wait until my wife went to bed to have a few, which was good and bad. Good because she didn't have to put up with it. Bad because I was drinking by myself.

Since my daughter was born three years ago, I made a committment not to have alcohol in the house. I didn't grow up with it, so I don't want my daughter to either.

I'm not above buying a bottle of wine if I'm making my wife a nice dinner, and I'll still have a beer or two on occassion if we go out. But other than that, I try (largely unsuccessfully ;) ) to be a responsible husband and father.

One of my worst display of drunkeness at the bar was about a week ago...and it involved me with another girl :doh: :laugh:

Ah! So now we're getting, as Paul Harvey says, "The rest of the story"! You want to tell us more about what led to your decision to quit drinking? :D

Archived