Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beer suggestions

jpillian

Is there going to be any theme to the drunkeness, or is it just a chance to get as many different types of beer in you as possible? Smithwicks was a new one that I just tasted, very good, and also be sure to get yourselfs some Molsen XX, 5.4% alcohol, but it doesn't taste like crap, like those other ice beers. Its awesome.

Translated, it's Flemish (or French, can't remember :( ) for 'devil'.

Very, very, very, very strong hoppy flavor. Overwhelming, actually. Probably the 'hoppiest' beer in the world. If there is one with a more pungent flavor, I've not tried it yet.

If you try Duvel, be sure to do it last because the abundance of hops will ruin the taste of every other beer you try.

I like it personally, but I have to be in the mood for it. Definitely a sipping beer.

Duvel uses hardly any hops they use mainly spices such as coriander,orange zest stuff like that.thats how the Belgians do it,they love strong beer.IPA's and stouts have the most hops.you can't taste the hops in the stouts because of the roasted barley overpowers everything.I suggest trying out a local microbrew, the beer will be fresh and hopefully tasty

Yuengling is what I used to drink when stationed in MD, great beer no matter what the price.

Bitburger if you can get it, distinct German taste my personal favorite

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a very smooth beer and it has a European flavor to it

Grolsch flip tops are great tasting not to mention the bottles are really cool.

Pabst Blue Ribbon with a tsp of salt and tomotao juice for the next morning might be pretty good also.

Chimay. Best. Beer. Ever.

Lots of other great ones too. Fuller's ESB, Fuller's London Stout, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Salvator Dopplebock, etc.

Agreed...go to Total Beverage or Total Wine and get a couple bottles of Chimay. It's expensive, comes in almost a corked wine bottle, and is made by some monks in the mountains somewhere, but it is the BEST.

Chimay. Best. Beer. Ever.

Which Chimay? Theres a blue one and a red one I've seen. Blue is much better I think.

And though Chimay might arguably one of the finest beers that Belgium exports, don't ever confuse it with the best beer ever.

Not even close.

The best Belgian beers are not exported. They have no preservatives in them and don't last on the shelf long enough.

If you were from around the Chesapeake area I'd suggest, http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/default.htm If you can't get those, any of these may do....

Fat Tire

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Saranac Black & Tan

Yuengling Black & Tan

Bass Ale

Blue Moon

Harp

Dos Equis Amber

I agree, that Guinness sucks....but I have tried a beer combo, that has Guinness in it, that's pretty good...it's called "Dawns Early Light". You basically fill a pint glass, about 2/3rds of the way, with a good lager, and float the top 1/3rd with your favorite stout.

There's ton's of beer that I like, but those should do nicely....hope this helps!

If you were from around the Chesapeake area I'd suggest, http://www.clippercitybeer.com/home/default.htm If you can't get those, any of these may do....

Fat Tire

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Saranac Black & Tan

Yuengling Black & Tan

Bass Ale

Blue Moon

Harp

Dos Equis Amber

I agree, that Guinness sucks....but I have tried a beer combo, that has Guinness in it, that's pretty good...it's called "Dawns Early Light". You basically fill a pint glass, about 2/3rds of the way, with a good lager, and float the top 1/3rd with your favorite stout.

There's ton's of beer that I like, but those should do nicely....hope this helps!

EDIT: Also, if you have any microbrewerys in your area, try to arrange a tour...they're very intersting and they often give out samples..... :D

Coming from Ireland, here are a few thoughts if you want a genuine Irish (as in Republic of Ireland) experience:

Stout: Guinness, Murphy and Beamish (may be hard to get Beamish but it is heavier than both of the others)

Smithwicks

Harp

Neither Smithwicks or Harp are great beers but they are the real thing. Murphys was my preference over Guiness ... a little smoother but also a Cork vs. Dublin thing!

Paddy or Jameson are the whiskeys of choice. Bushmills is from Northern Ireland.

And drinks called 'car bombs' and 'Black and Tans' for a Paddy's Day Party? :doh:. I wouldn't recommend you ordering any of these in a Dublin pub. It may be your last act on this earth ;)

Which Chimay? Theres a blue one and a red one I've seen. Blue is much better I think.

And though Chimay might arguably one of the finest beers that Belgium exports, don't ever confuse it with the best beer ever.

Not even close.

The best Belgian beers are not exported. They have no preservatives in them and don't last on the shelf long enough.

Bingo, we have a winner. Although you are off about the shelf life. They don't have any preservatives, that is true, but the best of these beers actually improves with age like a wine. They recommend storing it in a cold dark place for about two years for the best taste.

The best in the world is Westvleteren Abt 12. Brewed at Saint Sixtus Abbey in Westvletern, West Flanders, Belgium. It's really in the sticks, trust me. It's on a single lane road outside of the tiny town of Westvleteren about 15 miles from the north sea in far western Belgium. Not the easiest place to find, but the only place you will likely ever find the beer(although we did see it on the menu in Brussels for 95 euro a 12 oz. bottle). It is only sold legally at the abbey, and at a small cafe across the street from the abbey. It's actually pretty cheap too, about $27 a case equivelent in 2005. When you buy beer from the monks, they ask you to sign an agreement that you will not resell the beer for profit. They make three brews, all of which are incredibly good, called the 6 8 and 12, but the 12 is the best. Comes in an unlabelled bottle with a yellow bottle cap. The bottle itself has a raised band around the neck with the word "Trappisten" on it, meaning trappist or monk brewed beer. The other 2 come in regular unlabeled bottles with a green cap for the 6 and a blue one for the 8.

They do have a web site, which is here.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/index2.html

Belgium does have a lot of good beers though. All of the trappist beers are very good. Chimay may actually be one of the lesser of the 6 trappists, as their quality has suffered due to high demand. Interstingly their Brewmaster defected to a canadian brewery called Uni Broue, and I have heard that their beer is better than Chimay from a very reputable source. It's about $50 a case too, so much less than Chimay.

Some american microbrews even do a decent rendition of a belgian triple as well. My favorite american beer is Victory Golden Monkey. Merry Monk is another one that's pretty good as well.

I'm also a big Weissen fan, but they never taste right here in the US. Bitberger is a decent German Beer, but like most german beers ends up almost always being about half skunked by the time it gets to the US. Same is true of Heineken, which is really excellent when fresh, but spoils quickly.

As for the comment about Duvel being the hoppiest, it's nowhere close. Some microbrews. are really outragious.

Archived