Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beer suggestions

jpillian

My wife is setting up a rather interesting party for St. Patty's Day -- a beer tasting party.

Not nearly as snobby as it might sound -- just a chance for a bunch of us "grownups" to get away from the kids for a bit, ge together and sample great beers we probably wouldn't normally have the chance in which to imbibe.

So here's where I need some help from the beer connoisseurs on the board:

What's the greatest beer you've ever had? What would you all recommend for such an event?

:cheers:

Yuengling is one of my favorites and it isn't too expensive. I saw Newcastle mentioned and that is at the top of my list from the beers that I have tasted. Blue Moon is pretty good.

Yuengling is really good for cheap beer. Best deal you can ever get on a keg, in terms of quality for the price.

One of my favorites is Duvel.

Its expensive, but delicious. Great idea for a tasting. Belgium and a little strong,

Translated, it's Flemish (or French, can't remember :( ) for 'devil'.

Very, very, very, very strong hoppy flavor. Overwhelming, actually. Probably the 'hoppiest' beer in the world. If there is one with a more pungent flavor, I've not tried it yet.

If you try Duvel, be sure to do it last because the abundance of hops will ruin the taste of every other beer you try.

I like it personally, but I have to be in the mood for it. Definitely a sipping beer.

Translated, it's Flemish for 'devil'.

Very, very, very, very strong hoppy flavor. Overwhelming, actually. Probably the 'hoppiest' beer in the world. If there is one with a more pungent flavor, I've not tried it yet.

If you try Duvel, be sure to do it last because the abundance of hops will ruin the taste of every other beer you try.

I like it personally, but I have to be in the mood for it. Definitely a sipping beer.

yea, the head is just rediculous. :paranoid:

Never really mix it with any other beers. If I feel like splurging on some tasty beer, then its definently not a party night where I'm dowing Bush or Naddy ice.

Better have the Guiness on tap cause it don't work pouring it from bottles.

I'm partial to Sierra Nevada pale ale.

And Irish car bombs.

It works from the cans with the Draught Ball. You just need the magic touch and a bit of practice.

I used to pay my rent in college by having Irish Car Bomb parties. :D

There are many good beers around, even Costco sells a pretty good beer assortment pack last time I was there. If it's a "true" St. Patty's day party, maybe you could offer your patrons a bit of whisky. Not necessarily to feed the crowd, but to get the celebration started. Maybe a bottle of Jameson 12yr old, or Bushmills 10yr old Single Malt. A bottle or two to share will definitely earn the respect of your friends.

For beer, either Guiness or Murphy's should get you through the night. You may want to add traditional favorites after your guests get through the good stuff.

Archived