Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is it a federal law that all women have to take forever to get dressed/ready?

Yes.

I remember going out with my brother-in-law (my wife's sister's boyfriend at the time) and he asked me about it as she was taking a long time to get ready, and I just shrugged and said yeah, that's just how it is.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is it a federal law that all women have to take forever to get dressed/ready?

I know people that lie about what time they have to be somewhere to help avoid being late, always been on the fence about that. Agree with China it kinda just comes with the territory sometimes.  But i swear when they coming out looking like its worth it...

First paper I've had to write so far where I just don't want to write it, and its not procrastination.  It's about Free Speech on the Internet, there's no win here.  I'll pass the class anyway if I don't write it, but I don't want to do that anymore then I want to write this paper.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

First paper I've had to write so far where I just don't want to write it, and its not procrastination.  It's about Free Speech on the Internet, there's no win here.  I'll pass the class anyway if I don't write it, but I don't want to do that anymore then I want to write this paper.

There is none. 

We're on camera in our homes. 

(Paper done.) Grade A+.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

“If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the process of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”  Justice Brandeis. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_v._California?wprov=sfti1

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

There is none. 

We're on camera in our homes. 

(Paper done.) Grade A+.

Free Speech is not the same as privacy, though, Mary. 

Take Facebook for example, what people are saying is obvious and out for everybody it is, no matter how terrible it is.  Facebook can't slow it done even if it really wanted to, it lead directly to the situation with the Rohiynga, but then can the US Governemt make them do it anyway?  Then if they can, should they, and where does it stop? Codes of Conduct for a social media platform aren't the same as federally protected rights, that's why Alex Jones is off the air for what he said

It's like two extremes of how the US does it (wild wild west) and everything we don't ever want to see us become in China. I lean away from censorship with respect that we now have the technology to go as far if we want with it, even if we shouldn't.

39 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sure it is. Alexa will spout out your free speech if subpoenaed. 

And yes, it's already happened in court. 

You can have the freedom to say what you want without privacy to say any to say of it.  Right now, there are areas that can see everything that's being said and doing nothing about it.  One case defendant had to allow it, Amazon wouldn't do it without his permission.  That's was concerning a murder case, after it happened, not before.  I just saw the one from last month about the echo reading it now (yes, that was an edit).

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/12/18089090/amazon-echo-alexa-smart-speaker-privacy-data (looks like Amazon still saying "no", but again that's about a murder, not really censorship)

@PleaseBlitz that ruling helps a lot with the idea of the line, there is one, there has to be, along with a mechanism to keep it from going too far in either direction.  We don't want people to hurt people, but people are using speech in a way to get other people to do it for them with a medium that up this point was never meant for the level of enforcement we have for when someone just says it outloud or the technology of that ruling.

And the crux of the paper is where does the employer fit into this?  Should everyone be susceptible to following their code of conduct for work when they say stuff on the Internet outside of work?  It's easy to find, and people are getting fired for it now, so it's already happening to a limited extent.  I don't post at my job for a reason, multiple reasons; do they have the right to fire me for my post history if they don't like what they see anyway after looking at all of it?  PRISM program was the governments dragnet for catching everything we said over the internet to make sure it wasn't a threat to the country and the majority ruled that that was too far.

@skinsmarydu put it this way:  should google have to tell the government everytime you search something or facebook everytime you post something that might be considered a threat to the country or someone else whether they are serious or not?  Should extremeskins? Every website on the Internet or device connected to it?

Edit: and when I think of real censorship, I think of widening the defintion of threat intentionally (China) and what people might even consider offensive (What many are calling for now).  There's a risk of how far we can go with this along with deciding not only what can be said but how it is enforced (those are almost two different problems)

The most iconic basketball shoe of all-time dropped in a rerelease this morning. 

Jordans were never that popular in the DMV compared to other big city urban cultures. D.C. shoe heads are more into the rare, exotic Nikes.  But the Jordan 11s ("Space Jams") are an absolute must have, in every colorway.

air-jordan-11-concord-2018-retro-original-box-8.jpg.ba101cee290e50685fd33470d7224f60.jpg

Archived