Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

A/C just crapped out

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Bring it on, Murphy.

Curious if you or anyone has had this experience with apartments (know you're living in a house, but still asking in general): 

When my A/C went out and it was damn near 100 degrees, Landload said no one was coming over the weekend.  When I told her the heat was broken and it was below freezing outside, it got fixed the same day.   

Her comment on the difference was I was more likely to die from freezing to death then heatstroke at my age in that apartment.  When I commented about "what if there's a kid", her response was I didn't have one so my point was moot (I want to believe that would've made a difference, but I'm not sure).

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Never had that issue while living in an apt, so I can't comment on that, other than to say that rationale sounds really dumb, considering any ewuipment, food, medicsyion, etc one can have, and no A/C in that kind of condition isn't safe for anyone, period. 

All my meds say to store at room temperature, 90+ degrees is not room temperature.  They've probably been called on that, but never challenged, so its an internal policy of what they know they can get away with (way I took it).

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

All my meds say to store at room temperature, 90+ degrees is not room temperature.  They've probably been called on that, but never challenged, so its an internal policy of what they know they can get away with (way I took it).

I know I spent several days last summer with no functioning a/c, and that alone was enough to basically destroy all of my meds (like, physically warp/ halfway dissolve).

Any kind of electronics could be at risk as well. It just seems astonishing that people would say anything like that. It doesn't get cold enough around here anymore consistently enough to run into problems similar to what would happen if you lost your a/c almost near the dead of a mid atlantic summer. 

She seems primed for a hefty lawsuit, if that's how she rolls

Agreed and Agreed. 

I'll add that I was in a complex where the highest rent was $545 and turnover was high from people not making rent, so I don't think she was even concerned about someone gathering the resources to go after her legally. 

By the time I left after 3-4 years, I was the senior member in the complex (different things to look for in regards to paper work I know to look for now).  Stuff like that I know to look for in the lease or expect it to be there, and if I sued, I'd be trying to get out the lease if I had to choose that or paying for damages.  Not a fan of learning stuff the hard way, but that's how life works, test first, lesson after.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Curious if you or anyone has had this experience with apartments (know you're living in a house, but still asking in general): 

When my A/C went out and it was damn near 100 degrees, Landload said no one was coming over the weekend.  When I told her the heat was broken and it was below freezing outside, it got fixed the same day.   

Her comment on the difference was I was more likely to die from freezing to death then heatstroke at my age in that apartment.  When I commented about "what if there's a kid", her response was I didn't have one so my point was moot (I want to believe that would've made a difference, but I'm not sure).

Get it in writing. Ask for it in writing. 

Under Virginia law, regardless of whether you’re covered by the VRLTA, all landlords must do these things:

• Follow building and housing codes affecting health and safety.
  • Make all repairs needed to keep the place fit and habitable (livable).
  • Keep the common areas clean and safe.
  • Keep in good and safe working order all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities and appliances that the landlord supplies or must supply.  This includes maintaining a carbon monoxide alarm installed by the landlord.  The landlord must install a carbon monoxide alarm if the tenant requests it in writing, and it must be done within 90 days after the request is made.  The landlord can charge the tenant a reasonable fee for the installation.
  • Supply water, hot water, air conditioning if provided, and heat in season; unless the tenant alone controls the heat, air conditioning, or hot water, or unless provided directly by a utility company to the tenant on a separate meter.
  • Maintain the place so as to prevent the accumulation of moisture and the growth of mold.
  • Prevent or remove infestation of rodents.
2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed and Agreed. 

I'll add that I was in a complex where the highest rent was $545 and turnover was high from people not making rent, so I don't think she was even concerned about someone gathering the resources to go after her legally. 

By the time I left after 3-4 years, I was the senior member in the complex (different things to look for in regards to paper work I know to look for now).  Stuff like that I know to look for in the lease or expect it to be there, and if I sued, I'd be trying to get out the lease if I had to choose that or paying for damages.  Not a fan of learning stuff the hard way, but that's how life works, test first, lesson after.

that's still BS. Say it's a 4-unit complex average $400. So that's $1600 a month gross. She still gets to write it off. If a weekend call ends up being a $1000 vs $800 for the weekday, it's a $200 discussion. 

don't eat cherry seeds

i did

made a comment about it

next thing i knew there was a call into poison control and i was being asked if i crushed them up before i ate them (which I didn't)

apparently i am fine. but pitted fruit has arsenic in it. *shrug*

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes. Over a football team.

Saving my bloodlust for someone that deserves it.  Far as I can tell, he's willing to spend whatever it takes to win, guys are just trying to direct him to where and how to spend.  A lot of these owners don't give to Fs about that, and you can tell.

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, so IS or ISN’T X dead? What’s the truth here? My guess is he is. Why would he fake his own death to get publicity or whatever for his new album?? 

The guy is dead. Emergency responders won't make up stuff to help sale albums.

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

The guy is dead. Emergency responders won't make up stuff to help sale albums.

My thoughts as well. I’ve been seeing headlines posted by fb friends from college about how he posted on his Instagram story, so he couldn’t be dead, and I’m thinking “how stupid does one have to be to believe this stuff?” ? 

Archived