Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

He left his entire fortune to an ex-gf from his younger days, though obviously he switched to batting on the other side pretty early on.

He was a (non-practising) Zoroastrian; born into it (he was Parsi aka Persian).

I think it went to his daughter, actually? 

Upon learning where he was born, I remember searching the globe..."now, if I were Zanzibar, where would I be?" ?

Man, I hate when I see people comparing older music and movies by today's standards.  Like saying The Exorcist wasn't scary, it sure as hell was when it first came out.  There was nothing like it at the time, we didn't have multiple sequels of the last exorcism to compare to and say "ya, seen that before".  

As for music, I started a thread on how artists pull from music their fan base don't like all the time.  Bands like Queen have sections on their wikipage of just artists that said they had major impact on their own music.  I don't have a poster in my house for any band I like, and I respect that a lot people like what I don't like, that's different then good.  

We talk about basketball players in the context of the time period you are comparing them to, I'd like to see that more often in different places.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Man, I hate when I see people comparing older music and movies by today's standards.  Like saying The Exorcist wasn't scary, it sure as hell was when it first came out.  There was nothing like it at the time, we didn't have multiple sequels of the last exorcism to compare to and say "ya, seen that before".  

You weren't around at that time... 

So how scary was it ? 

Not that scary. 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

As for music, I started a thread on how artists pull from music their fan base don't like all the time.  Bands like Queen have sections on their wikipage of just artists that said they had major impact on their own music.  I don't have a poster in my house for any band I like, and I respect that a lot people like what I don't like, that's different then good.  

We talk about basketball players in the context of the time period you are comparing them to, I'd like to see that more often in different places.

Not comparing them to todays standards, but Queen just made albums with filler.  That's to say that they had a few really good tracks on each album but others that were just terrible.  I'm not saying Queen is a terrible band, they were great musicians and Freddie Mercury might be the single greatest singer/frontman in history.  He's certainly in the top 10.  Brian May is an excellent guitarist and John Deacon was a great bassist.  

No band makes 100% perfect albums but Queen seems to be more hit or miss than others.  

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

Whatever. 

65453308.jpg

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

You weren't around at that time... 

So how scary was it ? 

Not that scary. 

Wasn't, seen stuff about them making it, passed the same steps in DC, dad told me about going to see it co-oberating what I heard other people that did to some of the reactions and hoopla around it.  Not sure how Jerry West would do in today's NBA, but he's still the logo. Also set a special effects standard for the time, I still like it, but I respect it more now, context for the genre and medium.  

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Wasn't, seen stuff about them making it, passed the same steps in DC, dad told me about going to see it co-oberating what I heard other people that did to some of the reactions and hoopla around it.  Not sure how Jerry West would do in today's NBA, but he's still the logo. Also set a special effects standard for the time, I still like it, but I respect it more now, context for the genre and medium.  

Next to the gas station. Cool, but not scary. G'Town...not scary at all. 

Jerry West would be better than Wall. Yep...truth. 

Yet, one of the most acclaimed movies is T2...from what year ? Hmm... for special effects. 

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not comparing them to todays standards, but Queen just made albums with filler.  That's to say that they had a few really good tracks on each album but others that were just terrible.  I'm not saying Queen is a terrible band, they were great musicians and Freddie Mercury might be the single greatest singer/frontman in history.  He's certainly in the top 10.  Brian May is an excellent guitarist and John Deacon was a great bassist.  

No band makes 100% perfect albums but Queen seems to be more hit or miss than others.  

I have about 267GB on music I'm still going through, artist or groups like Outkast have entire albums I don't like. 

What's Queen ratio?  It numbs my mind in that context because I'd never put their entire discography into a playlist by itself anyway, just the songs I like most from them, which some get played in every stadium in the country these days.  Some artists or groups have a handful of songs I really like, some have like 10 or an entire album I can put on repeat.

They were insanely successful in UK, good for them.

Archived