Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

The racist South.

Well it is a good thing you're keeping an open mind and not generalizing. :doh:

FYI... in my personal experience, I have encountered the most blatant and disgusting racism 9 times out of 10 in the northeast and upper midwest.

Well it is a good thing you're keeping an open mind and not generalizing. :doh:

FYI... in my personal experience, I have encountered the most blatant and disgusting racism 9 times out of 10 in the northeast and upper midwest.

I'm just answering the question honestly. That's just how I feel. And while I hear what you're saying, the South is where you find most confederate flags.

Isn't the conferate flag that most people think of really the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia?

The real confederate flag was the stars and bars (I think).

As for what people think when they see (what the perceive to be the conferate flag) - I blame the KKK and hate groups.

However - these groups also use the American Flag a lot - and it' not usually been associated with prejudice - so I don't know.

States rights.

I was waiting for this one

I am sorry, attempting to split the union over "states rights" is absolutley absurd, and the short sighted decisions by southern leaders in the 1850s has wrecked the south to this day

And I am one who is all for states rights and a very limited federal gov't. The fact that southern leaders actually secceeded demonstrated their true colors

"Yay!! Let's celebrate racism!"

Just answering honestly...I can't buy the argument about the stars 'n' bars representing "the South" or "Southern pride" or anything like that. The only history it represents is the South attempting to secede from the Union, one of the bloodiest wars in US history, and slavery. :whoknows: I have know idea how anyone could honestly look at that flag and feel an ounce of pride.

I think about growing up in Virginia, and having the stars and bars flag covering the entire back windshield of my car in high school, never thinking about what message I might be sending to other people by having it there. I wasn't really thinking at all about what it meant, it just seemed cool to me.

Then I got to college in Chicago, and I hung the flag on my dorm room wall, and one day my African-American friend from Selma Alabama came by and looked at it, and looked at me, and asked me why I had it up. And I didn't really know. So he told me what it meant to him. And I thought about it, and I took it down.

Whether you like it or not, whether you intend it or not, that flag send a message to certain people, and it's not a message I want to send.

I think about growing up in Virginia, and having the stars and bars flag covering the entire back windshield of my car in high school, never thinking about what message I might be sending to other people by having it there. I wasn't really thinking at all about what it meant, it just seemed cool to me.

Then I got to college in Chicago, and I hung the flag on my dorm room wall, and one day my African-American friend from Selma Alabama came by and looked at it, and looked at me, and asked me why I had it up. And I didn't really know. So he told me what it meant to him. And I thought about it, and I took it down.

Whether you like it or not, whether you intend it or not, that flag send a message to certain people, and it's not a message I want to send.

You, of all people had it up? Wow

You, of all people had it up? Wow

:laugh:

I had the same thought. I picture Predicto wearing a beret with a black t shirt and black slacks sipping on Republic of Tea while reading the Communist Manifesto. :laugh:

(just kidding Pred, just kidding. Sort of. :) )

Archived