Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

Racism.

I don't think that everyone who displays a confederate flag is a racist. I just think they're not really thinking about what it stands for. They're displaying a flag for a short-lived nation, and the only reason that nation ever existed was so that human beings could continue to be enslaved based on the color of their skin.

I had a friend with a flag on his car, and I asked him why? He said that he had an ancestor who fought for the confederate states, but he didn't believe in what it stood for. I asked him that if he didn't believe in what the flag stood for why would he keep the flag, the fact that an ancestor fought for something you don't believe it, wouldn't be a part of my family history I want to commemorate. He didn't really have an answer, and I just let it drop.

Whether you like it or not, whether you intend it or not, that flag send a message to certain people, and it's not a message I want to send.

You are 100% correct. That's why I don't have a confederate flag hitch cover on my truck.

But the bottom line is that it DOES mean different things to different people and not everyone thinks of the flag as "slavery" or "treason" etc...

Racism.

I don't think that everyone who displays a confederate flag is a racist. I just think they're not really thinking about what it stands for. They're displaying a flag for a short-lived nation, and the only reason that nation ever existed was so that human beings could continue to be enslaved based on the color of their skin.

BS.

It stands for different things to different people. Period.

There was more racism going on in NewYork than ever displayed in the south.

I was waiting for this one

I am sorry, attempting to split the union over "states rights" is absolutley absurd, and the short sighted decisions by southern leaders in the 1850s has wrecked the south to this day

And I am one who is all for states rights and a very limited federal gov't. The fact that southern leaders actually secceeded demonstrated their true colors

It could also be argued that the southern states hands were forced into secession by the union. Look at the mess that we have today at the federal level.

Having gone to the University of South Carolina where the flag still flys infront of the State house i think of a group of narrow minded people who just can't accept the world the way it is and look at a hypocrital past long to return to their once "glory." Its sad that some people consider themselves southern before they consider themselves american, but that flag still has a hold over many people.

Having gone to the University of South Carolina where the flag still flys infront of the State house i think of a group of narrow minded people who just can't accept the world the way it is and look at a hypocrital past long to return to their once "glory." Its sad that some people consider themselves southern before they consider themselves american, but that flag still has a hold over many people.

I am from SC and we do not see the flag as a lot of you make it out to be!

You do have one strike against you for going to USC though! I am a diehard Clemson fan.

It could also be argued that the southern states hands were forced into secession by the union. Look at the mess that we have today at the federal level.

It can be. But no matter what type of revisionist history I was taught in high school, the ultimate reason that these states wanted "states rights" was so they could keep fellow human beings in bondage because of the color of their skin

Yes the union didn't exactly make the right moves along the way, and it *can* be argued that the south's hand was forced, but for what? Why were they so adament about states right? Taxes? Regulation? Or the fact that states rights meant keeping your fellow man in bondage?

Because of the south's lack of compassion, and its recklessness, we have the federal gov't boondogle today.

Had southern leaders read the Declaration of Independence which many of their grandfathers had signed, in particular the line that said "All men are created equal" the whole treasanous mess could have been avoided

Those traitors were lucky that Lincoln had enough time before his assasination to lay the ground work for re-construction and very lucky they were not shot as they should have been for splitting the Union

It can be. But no matter what type of revisionist history I was taught in high school, the ultimate reason that these states wanted "states rights" was so they could keep fellow human beings in bondage because of the color of their skin

Yes the union didn't exactly make the right moves along the way, and it *can* be argued that the south's hand was forced, but for what? Why were they so adament about states right? Taxes? Regulation? Or the fact that states rights meant keeping your fellow man in bondage?

Because of the south's lack of compassion, and its recklessness, we have the federal gov't boondogle today.

Had southern leaders read the Declaration of Independence which many of their grandfathers had signed, in particular the line that said "All men are created equal" the whole treasanous mess could have been avoided

Those traitors were lucky that Lincoln had enough time before his assasination to lay the ground work for re-construction and very lucky they were not shot as they should have been for splitting the Union

Very well said.

This is all true. Said it better than I could.

I really dont see what youre asking. Thats what I think of when I see the flag.

When people think of Civil War the confederate flag jumps in their head. There are many symbols of the war in this area and all over. example battle fields, plantation homes etc. You also have reenactments all over the place. Why does everyone just come down on the flag? I have never understood that.

I think of the black NCO I had in my platoon that was forced to take a bumper sticker off his car because it offended people. He was a whiskey drinking, tobacco chewing, country music listening, honest to goodness black "redneck".

Now I also think of the people, that in other threads, talk about freedom of speech and how stupid stereotypes are jumping in to accuse everyone who takes pride in the flag of being a racist.

Me...I have no personal stance on the issue. I am neither comforted nor bothered by its presence.

My great great grandfather was a member of the Stonewall Brigade and I feel not one iota of pride when I see a Confederate flag. There was nothing noble about the South's cause in the Civil War. My grandfather had probably never seen a black person in his life when he went off to war. Funny thing is all the rednecks you see today flying the flag would have had absolutely nothing to gain from the war had they been alive then. Nowadays the flag seems to symbolize nothing more that outright racism.

Archived