Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your very first job?

SkinsNut73

Back in '84 before the LA Olympics, my best friends father owned the flag/banner company that supplied all the flags/banners for the games, and I worked in his store for about $6/hr.

After that, it was a frozen yogurt store, Mrs Fields Cookies, and then answering phones in a law firm..

If you don't count being an assistant for my grandfather who made and restored old chairs from the age of 8 til 15, I'd have to say it was my first real gig was when I worked in the art computer lab at Howard. Didn't pay a lot in terms of money but I got a wealth of knowledge out of it.

Worked at an ice cream shop at HersheyPark.

Edit:

Ha, I forgot I was a paper boy first. The sucky thing about that was going door to door to collect the subscription fees (amazing how many dicks blow off a kid for a couple of bucks to try and scam a free newspaper). :doh:

Holy cow, I forgot my time as a paper boy as well.

Collecting was horrendous.

A friend of mine had a route where everyone mailed their checks to the paper, and the paper sent him a monthly paycheck. That bum.

Movie theater. I started at the snack bar for $4.25 in 1991. It was a great job for high school kids. You work after school and meet alot of new people your age. I have friends to this day that i met working at the theater. I was later put in the box office, then did some projection, then advanced to snack bar supervisor for a whooping $4.50. WOW.

I worked at Baskin & Robbins when I was 16 for $4.25 an hour...and I loved it! All the ice cream I could eat :paranoid: I mean, no more than one item per shift...:paranoid: :laugh:

The best part was the girls...man B&R was always swarming with honies! I worked there with my best friend....big mistake for the owner of that shop!! :) The boss used to hide across the street in his car in the Safeway parking lot and spy on us. I can't remember why I got fired, but I know I deserved it!! :doh:

So if any of you are from Arlington and ever went to the B&R on Harrison street 10 years ago, I probably helped you out!! :)

Holding a weed eater on a golf course 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, in 100 degree heat. :doh:

dam that sucked. I was the youngest one there so everyone else got to ride the lawnmowers all day... cake job.

Not me. All of the water holes where the lawnmowers couldn't reach I had to go down to the waters edge with my weed eater and go to town. And my supervisor made me wear sweatpants and goggles... in the heat (100 plus on many days) it was absolutely brutal. I used to sweat so much that I literally could not keep the goggles on my head, they would just slide off. I couldn't see thru them anyways because of the moisture.

I would come up from the ditches and water holes and look down, my sweatpants would often have frog guts all over them... chunks of red and green and brown. :doh: Not to mention all of the water moccasins all over the place, many times I almost stepped on them. They aren't like most snakes, they don't seem to have any fear.

My supervisor was probably the meanest person I've ever been around in my life. Just an absolutely horrible human being... picture Parcells cross bred with a Pit Bull.

I wouldn't quit though... I just wouldn't let him get the best of me. I think after a while it really started to pi$$ him off, because he told me when I started that he never had anyone last longer than a week as the 'new guy'... they always quit. Almost like he took pride in it or something :doh: As the summer went on, he seriously tried to make it harder and harder for me. I could tell story after story about this guy and how he treated me and others... seriously I think he's probably in jail now.

Anyways I lasted the entire summer... from May thru August... that was my way of telling him to go ***** himself. :)

Archived