Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your very first job?

SkinsNut73

Cool title for a kid, Junior System Analyst at a health care corporation. What I did was help the delivery guys (got to go to a lot of nursing homes and visit home-bound patients), counted inventory and performed gopher duties as assigned.

BTW, made about minimum wage but lived on the beach and drove a classic convertable caddy.

Same here.....lifeguarding was the sweetest job that I ever had......

It wasn't my first job, but I lifeguarded one summer....and I hated it. I guess I just got stuck with the lame pools...rarely ever had hot chicks, just old farts. I remember days where I sat there for 8 hours and not one person would show up....ugh, so boring. Except for one two-week stretch I filled in for someone at this ghetto ass pool...think 30-40 middle-schoolers with attitudes running, fighting, everything. That was a fun pool to work at....:doh:

My first job was working at this clinic in college. It started out as my internship (I was a psychology/social work major). After the first semester was over, I was asked if I wanted to work there (as a secretary). After graduating as an undergrad, I didn't work because I went straight to grad-school. But, before that, I didn't have a job..I didn't get my first job until I was 21 :(

14 years old, caddying at Lowes Island Golf Club. It sucked because i was like 80 pounds then and some of these rich a-holes' bags weighed more than me. I hated it b/c the members were all rich snobby dicks. One guy was really cool, he was the one really cool guy there so I called him Mr. Dangerfield (think Caddyshack) and he would tip me $100 just to retrieve his shanked golf balls and shards of his clubs that he broke over his knee. I would help him cheat when he played with his buddies. F*** them, Mr. Dangerfield is going to give me $100 if I "find" his golf ball in a good lie.

First actual tax-paying job: I worked at a certain steakhouse in NOVA. Me and my best friend got hired together while home from college after our freshman year.......we took over. By the end of the summer, and the whole next one, we were the head waiters, scheduled all of the rest of the servers, handed out the table assignments (which is huge if you've ever worked in a restuarant, you basically pre-determine how much money people will make) and basically ran that place like we owned it. The GM was a drunk, so he would always leave and go to a bar and give me his keys which was like a license to steal. "Yes Mr. Customer, I went ahead and comped you that whole round of drinks, remember that when you tip me."

Plus we would keep a bottle of Jack in the back and get wasted as the night progressed, and let the cooks drink so they would cook our food first, which was also a move worthy of Machiavelli in the restaurant biz. I also got like 8 of my friends hired, and the female servers, were all money. The job was so much fun.

Closing time, after everyone left and the staff had to clean up, the rule was we could drink all the draft beer we wanted, but no bottles, and no liquor. Um, thats cool.

That whole summer was a tornado of binge drinking, yet I was making like $150 a night, and i was working too much to spend most of it. Needless to say, my grades suffered when I got back to school.

Movie theater. I started at the snack bar for $4.25 in 1991. It was a great job for high school kids. You work after school and meet alot of new people your age. I have friends to this day that i met working at the theater. I was later put in the box office, then did some projection, then advanced to snack bar supervisor for a whooping $4.50. WOW.

I helped my dad by working at his full service Gas station, but I wasn't really on the payroll until I went to High School.

My first real job was as a movie usher in 1971 at the age of 16 for, get this, $1.20 an hour. Yep, 40 hours brought in about $40 bucks. It's a good thing gas was about .33 a gallon. We used to have to let the crowd gather outside the theatre lobby, and then we had to announce the name of the movie and then open the doors to allow access to the seats.

It went something like this;

"Roth's feature presentation of "Blue Water, White Death" (or "Dirty Harry") will now be showing in theatre #2. Enjoy the show folks!"

We had to wear a red Sports coat and a black bow tie and black slacks.

I remember seeing Washington celebrities such as Warner Wolf, Frank Herzog, and any number of athletes as well.

I got my first job when I was 15 at Pleasant Valley Golfer's Club, which is this swank golf course next to my house...I worked outdoors with all the guys (most of the time if a girl worked there - there were very few- they worked inside in the pro shop)...and I washed golf carts, picked up golfers from their cars, picked up balls in that cool cart on the driving range, washed balls (get yo mind outta the gutter)... and got some tips. Also got to play golf for free if I wanted to...which I tried and sucked. Took lessons a couple years ago, wish I could go back so I can play on that course...it was like an 80 dollar course!

I got my first job when I was 15 at Pleasant Valley Golfer's Club, which is this swank golf course next to my house...I worked outdoors with all the guys (most of the time if a girl worked there - there were very few- they worked inside in the pro shop)...and I washed golf carts, picked up golfers from their cars, picked up balls in that cool cart on the driving range, washed balls (get yo mind outta the gutter)... and got some tips. Also got to play golf for free if I wanted to...which I tried and sucked. Took lessons a couple years ago, wish I could go back so I can play on that course...it was like an 80 dollar course!

I did the same thing at Landsdowne. Crappy job, but I got free golf when I wasnt working. I used to sit on the cartpath next to the 18th green and wash the players' clubs as they putted out for tips. I still hate Jeremiah Trotter to this day b/c that **** makes more money than anyone, and he stiffed me.

• 5 months later...

Flashback, much?

Lexington, Mass. 1969, nine years old. Setting duckpins by hand, scooting up into a carve-out above the pins to avoid getting hit. Lasted about a week. Not sure, but I THINK I got paid a dime an hour. I may go talk to a lawyer.

Nice 5000th China. :)

First real job was selling newspaper door to door.

What an experience that was.

I did make some decent cash, though, for a young highschooler anyways. Probably worked about 3-4 hours per night and raked in about $400 cash per week.

Archived