Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Damn Near All Things T.O. - MERGED!

SkinsHokieFan

Owens will never again play in the NFC East. Snyder hates Owens, Gibbs would never accept his ego- even with Riggins, Theisman, etc. theis big egos cannot compare to T.O. even Meshawn isnt as selfish as Owens. Gibbs got Santana for a reason. Its hard to find a selfless team player at WR these days.

Gibbs would never touch T.O. and Snyder doesnt like him.

Parcells would end up beating the crap out of T.O. is he was on his team, and Jerry Jones would rather die than let that moron on the Cowboys.

Coughlin dealt strictly with STRAHAN. Freakin STRAHAN. The Giant's best team player for god's sake. T.O. In NYC would NEVER happen.

Only teams dumb enough to get him are the Texans and the Packers and I dont think T.O. would want to play for either team.

Oh and those of you trying to compare Riggins to Owens in attitude, etc...what the hell? When did John Riggins run up and down the sidelines telling Theisman he was sucking? When did he hold a press conference and tell the media the reason they lost the SB to the Raiders was because Theismann was tired or sucking or something? When did Riggins dance in circles because he did his job? When did Riggins start a fight with a team ambassador and challenge his whole team to a fight?

Never. They are not nearly comparable in any aspect what so ever.

lets seperate character from having a "big bag of onions"........

TO's character on the field.......can not beat it, he is a competitor, on the field he always gives it his all.....plays harder then anyone

TO's character off the field.....if I had a time for any time I heard someone describe an NFL reciever as being selfish/arrogant......Id be rich

Lets also know that what TO has done is stood up to management......management who told him "we are not going to listen to you, not goign to work out a deal which makes you happy......not because the cap wont let us, because we dont wanna pay you.........and ouy know what you can't do anythign about it........

Go ahead try, you wanna play 'chicken' with us.......we will see which car swerves first........you will never see this money, and if you try to hold-out if you will see no money.......if you cause problems we will make every nfl fan think you are a piece of dirt.........."

TO stood up.........he brought 'management' down with him.......

Again TO is a selfish/arrogrant donkey's A.......but who isnt in the NFL today?

This doesn't happen very often, but I'm honestly at a loss for words here.

I see a lot of reasonable people adamantly saying "NO" here (I also see people who I would qualify as unreasonable people saying various things too, but whatever).

I'm a little surprised. Let's elaborate on a supposed TO deal. Would it matter at all to you if he was signed to a 1-year contract? There is some analysis that I've heard that is saying that a lot of teams are going to look to sign TO to a 1-year contract, sort of a "rent-a-TO" deal. He'll understand the need to prove himself and raise his value too.

Now, to be clear, I don't like TO. I don't think we need him. I like the point that Henry made early in this thread that we don't need someone complaining about Moss getting too much attention (excellent point!). But isn't "rent-a-TO" at least tempting? Would you blame the Skins for it, considering his talent?

(Personally, I wouldn't want him, but with a team that took Neion Deion who I didn't want, I'm not sure I could blame them anymore for taking TO *if for 1 year*, even though Deion obviously didn't cause these kinds of problems)

First, I hate TO with everything in my soul.

Second, He would take us to the Superbowl. Can you imagine Santana as 2nd receiver right now? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Third, I have complete faith in GIbbs to make the right decision on this one.

Almost 32, Owens has never taken any team to the Superbowl. And that was playing with Jerry Rice & Steve Young (a Hall of Famer & a Hall of Famer to be). Why would he now?

I can't believe this is even a topic! Mark Brunell came straight out and said he wouldn't want him in the locker room, and Brunell is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We're obviously headed in the right direction. Why mess it up? Plus, while Dexter Manley and John Riggins had their problems, they didn't rip their teammates in the media and challenge people to fights -- although Manley did strike Darrell Green during a game once.

Well this guy at SI claims he understands why TO did it:

T.O.'s only option

NFL players have to act up to get out of bad situations

The latest drama created by Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens made me recall a conversation I had with Chicago Bears quarterback Jeff Blake last year. Blake was a backup with the Eagles at the time and I wanted to get his impression on Owens, particularly the way Owens had resurrected himself in Philadelphia after being such a headache in San Francisco. Blake told me people spent too much time focusing on Owens' antics. He added that when today's NFL players find themselves wanting to escape unhappy situations, they have no other choice but to act like fools. I laughed when Blake first told me that. I get it now.

Owens is no stranger to acting like a fool. In fact, he's perfected the art, taking his controversial behavior to heights that only Dennis Rodman or Ron Artest could relate to. But as I watched the end of Owens' career in Philadelphia play out this week -- a contentious conclusion that I once foolishly thought wouldn't happen because of Owens' success last season -- I came away thinking that this wasn't just about T.O. being T.O. It was about yet another unhappy NFL player deciding to drive his employer bonkers.

I'm convinced Owens knew this was the only card he could play back after the Eagles chose not to give him a new contract, and he played it as well as he manipulates the media. Let's be honest: This stopped being about money a long time ago because Owens certainly realized in the preseason that the Eagles weren't going to bend to his financial demands. It stopped being about attention last week, when Owens reportedly scuffled with Eagles team ambassador Hugh Douglas. Once Owens decided his relationship with the Eagles had soured, he was hell bent on one thing: making everybody's life miserable.

Of course, this isn't a new move for him. The Niners didn't want to re-sign him following the 2003 season because of a litany of issues, including Owens's constant trashing of two coaches (head coach Steve Mariucci and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp), the quarterback (Jeff Garcia) and anybody else whom he decided to hate.

But let's also understand that he's not the only person to choose this route in recent years. Take a look around the NFL. There are other players who have tired of their relationships with head coaches or entire organizations and ultimately opted to play the villain in order to leave town. They include:

• Corey Dillon. This New England Patriots running back grew so tired of losing in Cincinnati that he constantly bashed the Bengals organization and developed a reputation as a cancerous locker room influence. Once head coach Marvin Lewis arrived in 2003, Dillon received one more chance to change his attitude. He didn't. A couple months after that year's season finale -- a loss to Cleveland that concluded with Dillon tossing his helmet, shoulder pads and cleats into the stands as he left the field -- Cincinnati dealt him to the Patriots.

• Terry Glenn. This Dallas Cowboys wide receiver spent the entire 2001 season battling in New England with head coach Bill Belichick. The problems started when the NFL suspended Glenn for violating the league's substance policy and New England stopped paying installments on his signing bonus. From there it just got worse. Glenn didn't show up to camp. Belichick suspended him for a year. An arbitrator overturned the suspension. Glenn was deactivated for a hamstring injury that appeared bogus and he later missed several meetings and practices. You get the picture. Glenn was a Green Bay Packer by the following summer.

• Carl Pickens. Long before Owens became T.O., this former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver was the poster child for disruptive behavior. He launched so many tirades against the team's front office that Cincinnati created the "loyalty clause" in 2000. The clause enabled the team to recoup all or part of a player's signing bonus if the player publicly criticized team officials, coaches or teammates. The Bengals never used that clause on Pickens. They decided to establish it after releasing him in 1999, shortly after he fired his last salvo against the team. He was three months shy of receiving a $3.5 million bonus at the time.

• Chester McGlockton. This former Pro Bowl defensive tackle played for the Chiefs and Jets, but it was in Oakland where he truly made his mark. Incensed by a lousy rookie contract that Raiders owner Al Davis never renegotiated -- even after McGlockton became one of the game's top players at his position -- McGlockton became legendary for taking plays off and blowing off coaches. His lowest moment: wearing a fur coat to practice while he stood on the sidelines nursing an injury during the 1997 season. The Raiders didn't re-sign him after he became a free agent a few months later.

• Kyle Turley. This hot-tempered offensive tackle unleashed plenty of venom on the New Orleans Saints. He once referred to Saints general manager Mickey Loomis as "a bean counter" during a radio interview. He knocked the team's facilities and complained about the food. He even turned down a multi-year contract extension at the end of the 2002 season -- and that was after Turley's well-publicized helmet-throwing incident during the 2001 season. When the Saints finally traded him to St. Louis in March 2003, Loomis said Turley "was the Rams' problem now."

• Keyshawn Johnson. When this Dallas Cowboys wide receiver tired of his tenure in Tampa Bay -- and more specifically his lousy relationship with Bucs head coach Jon Gruden -- he did everything possible to force management's hand. Whether he was needling Gruden in offensive meetings or berating him on the sidelines, Johnson made it clear that he was committed to ruining every day that he and Gruden spent together. With six games left in the 2003 season, the Bucs deactivated him. They traded him to Dallas the following offseason.

My point here is that players aren't blind or stupid. Like Owens, the ones who have enough leverage, audacity and money in the bank are going to do whatever it takes to get their way. Since football is the ultimate team sport, these players understand that the best means of escaping a bad situation is to become a divisive element. The last thing any NFL head coach wants to deal with is a constant distraction and Owens knew this. He also knew his options were limited.

What power do NFL players really have if they find themselves in situations they deem unhappy? The situation is even trickier when contract demands are involved. Holding out used to be the only viable course of action, but that has become a riskier tactic than it used to be. The player risks losing money while he sits out. He risks being ostracized by a public that has developed little sympathy for millionaires who want to make more millions. And now they also run the chance of having to return cash to the organization after resolving the conflict.

That was the case with San Diego Chargers wide receiver Keenan McCardell. He recently was ordered to repay the Tampa Bay Buccaneers $1.5 million after he sat out the first six games of last season in hopes of scoring a new deal. The Bucs filed a grievance claiming that McCardell -- whom they later traded to San Diego -- had violated his contract with his five-month holdout, and the arbitrator agreed. Essentially, McCardell was punished for not showing up for work. It was a ruling that sent tremors across the NFL landscape, even though it hardly received much publicity: The NFL owners have more muscle than ever.

So when you really think about it, the disgruntled NFL player really has only two choices these days: Stay quiet or create a real-life version of the Jerry Springer show at the team facility. Most players would play it safe, but a guy like Owens was built for this kind of game. I'm sure he's sitting somewhere with a big grin on his face because this was exactly what he wanted once his hopes for a new contract vanished months ago. I'm also betting that somebody else will try the same course of action in the near future. When it comes to changing addresses in the NFL, acting like a fool is becoming a more convenient way of doing business.

I see a lot of reasonable people adamantly saying "NO" here (I also see people who I would qualify as unreasonable people saying various things too, but whatever).

I'm a little surprised. Let's elaborate on a supposed TO deal. Would it matter at all to you if he was signed to a 1-year contract? There is some analysis that I've heard that is saying that a lot of teams are going to look to sign TO to a 1-year contract, sort of a "rent-a-TO" deal. He'll understand the need to prove himself and raise his value too.

Now, to be clear, I don't like TO. I don't think we need him. I like the point that Henry made early in this thread that we don't need someone complaining about Moss getting too much attention (excellent point!). But isn't "rent-a-TO" at least tempting? Would you blame the Skins for it, considering his talent?

(Personally, I wouldn't want him, but with a team that took Neion Deion who I didn't want, I'm not sure I could blame them anymore for taking TO *if for 1 year*, even though Deion obviously didn't cause these kinds of problems)

it is NOT tempting, to me OR the Skins (im sure). why? because we are gelling into a cohesive unit, a TEAM. adding TO in any circumstance throws all that work out the window.

TO is a huge puss filled boil on the hairy ass of the NFL. he should be banned from playing anywhere ever again.

I can't believe this is even a topic! Mark Brunell came straight out and said he wouldn't want him in the locker room, and Brunell is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We're obviously headed in the right direction. Why mess it up?

I heard that! (great point) Mark Brunell already poo-poo'ed all over the idea. Folks, do you think Brunell would have said that if he thought Terrell Owens would do squat for the Redskins? Or thought there was a chance in hell that Gibbs would pick him up?

I'm almost positive that Terrell Owens will end up in a Dallas Cowboy uniform. Bill Parcells put a gag on Keyshawn Johnson and could do the same with Terrell. This makes me sick to think about it but that's my early call.

Dallas would take him without thinking twice, but I expect the Texans to be a front runner because they have no team unity or organizational reputation to worry about that would lead them to be concerned about the likely negative consequences. Here's a sleeper pick for TO's new home: Miami. Williams and TO. Perfect. You read it here first.

I just listened to his press conference. Its called "too little, too late" or "afterthought." His agent is talking about how sincere Terrell is. The media hasn't been fair to him according to Rosehaus. Drew's argument sounds like "look at what everyone else has done wrong, don't look at T.O."

Dallas would take him without thinking twice

I'm starting to believe my own conspiracy theory on two places: Dallas and Atlanta.

1. Jerry Jones is just twisted enough to give TO just enough money and hire that assassin to make a SB run in possibly Tuna's final year. It also gives TO the chance to beat Philly twice a year. Also, can you imagine the 3 wide set of TO, Terry Glenn and Keyshawn?

2. He has a house in ATL, Vick needs a receiver besides Crumpler, and, remember that Nike commercial last year that looked like Madden with Vick scrambling and throwing to TO?

Hmmmmm.......

Ok Eagle pals...where do you stand on TO...take him back or let him rot? Just to get everyone on the record, ya know.

I say if the Eagles take him back they've gone from one of the smartest organizations to the dumbest.

uh, next question....

Archived