Extremeskins

Damn Near All Things T.O. - MERGED!

SkinsHokieFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/051108

Eagles pay a price for principle

By Scoop Jackson

Page 2

The island just got empty.

No one is left except for him, the brotha from anotha planet, the one they call Eldorado when he's in Alabama. No one is left but him and his agent.

He wanted it this way, though. At least, that's what I hope. Because from his ways and actions, I have to give T.O. enough credit to think that he knew what he was doing all along, and that this was the result he was after.

Exile. Freedom. An AFC uniform.

He knew the game and refused to end up on his back; even though by playing himself out, he sits without a football team for the rest of the season.

But what about the Eagles? Did they play themselves, too? Not saying I agree with T.O. (because I, too, have left the island), but at what point does a finger get pointed at them? Not for allowing this to happen or to get to this point, but for failing, for the first time in years, to act as though they are committed to winning. Committed to bringing the city a championship.

Yes, winning.

I thoroughly understand the importance of chemistry and cohesiveness inside the locker room and on the sidelines of an NFL game and on an NFL team. I understand the significance of team. But I also understand that although there is no "I" in "team," you also can't spell "win" without that "I" unless you have a hotel at the end of the Strip in Vegas.

The Eagles, for the last four years, have been the best team in the NFC. Four conference championships, one appearance in the dance. Their mission this year: Anything less than the Lombardi Trophy is a failure.

So they're 4-4 and last in the division, and they decide that "conduct detrimental to the team" holds more weight than 47 catches, 763 yards and six TDs in six games. On a team with an injured quarterback and a running attack playing on some Class 5-A level right now.

And as justified and correct as coach Andy Reid, president Joe Banner and owner Jeff Lurie are in their decision to let T.O. go, the question must be asked: What they did might be in the best interest of the team, but is it in the team's best interest to win?

Are they choosing morale and morals over the chance to win a Super Bowl this year? Strip it to the core. Ask yourself, Can the Eagles win the Bowl this year without Terrell Owens? If you give yourself the honest, unarguable answer of No, then you have to understand why the organization's move has to come into question.

Even if you agree with it 110 percent.

See, betrayal goes two ways. Just as T.O. betrayed the Eagles, the Eagles betrayed their fans. If Lurie and Banner are serious about winning, they would have let T.O. be T.O., let Hugh Douglas stomp him, let his teammates jump him, let Brand Jordan drop him, let him be the jerk he's become ... all the while, making sure that Reid and Donovan McNabb, as much as they might not like it, find ways to get him the ball whenever it's necessary to put fear into the hearts of the opponents blocking their path back to the promised land.

Now, without Owens in the rip, the Eagles add one more team to that list of opponents: themselves.

I'm not saying that Owens is the end-all-be-all in professional football. That cat just retired nine weeks ago, and the only other two left are playing in San Diego and New England. But Philadelphia is a team that has been Buffalo Bills-close to winning it all, and Owens is to the Eagles what Dennis Rodman was once to the Bulls: the difference.

And when you are sitting on the verge of Disney and Visa Checkcard commercials, in the words of Len Pasquarelli, "talent trumps temperament," 25/8/366.

But apparently, they don't feel that way in Phila. Apparently, the lesson learned in losses will be worth more than the victories achieved in shame.

And yet, Brian Westbrook, who is averaging 25 yards per game over the last five games, got rewarded with a contract extension for five years for close to $25M. On the same day T.O. got Keyshawn Johnson'd?

Coincidence, or twisted mathematics?

I say neither.

I say simply that the Eagles found themselves in a position of embarrassment they never thought they'd be in, even if they knew coming in that they'd run the risk of T.O. flippin' like this, even though he warned them in August that he would go out like this.

And then came the tipping point the other day, when they had to make the choice to save face or save the season. By getting rid of Owens, the Eagles' ownership showed that vanity still has a place in professional sports.

Principle over professionalism.

Which is interesting, because it might not just be the ownership. It might be the entire team. It might be the leader who feels this way. It might be everyone in the 215 who is accepting a losing season. Because after the loss to the Redskins on Sunday, McNabb said this: "I think what we did tonight was we showed that we play well together. I think we showed that, given the opportunity, guys can make plays for us."

Play together? Make plays? They lost 17-10. When did moral victories appear in the "W" column? The day Drew Rosenhaus introduced himself to Terrell Owens, and then together they introduced themselves to the Eagles?

Or was it yesterday, the day the Eagles told Terrell Owens: peace?

We might never know. And neither will the fans in Philadelphia. Because as disruptive as T.O. was, he might have been worth it for eight or 11 more games. At least the organization could have given the fans a chance to find out.

Now all they have is: Wait until next year.

If that year ever comes again.

Well, the next step is the grievance procedure. And you know that TO will show up analyzing some game (perhaps an Eagles game) on some Sunday. The guy is psychotic and he has a manager who's ego is as big as his client's. Recipe for disaster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2217740

MOORESTOWN, N.J. -- A contrite Terrell Owens, hoping to overturn his dismissal from the Philadelphia Eagles, on Tuesday apologized to coach Andy Reid, quarterback Donovan McNabb, the team's owner and president, and fans.

"I fight for what I think is right. In doing so, I alienated a lot of my fans and my teammates," Owens said, reading a statement outside his house outside Philadelphia.

"It really hurts me not to be a part of this team anymore," Owens said.

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Owens was making a public apology in hopes of returning to the Eagles immediately.

"We hope he plays again for the Philadelphia Eagles," Rosenhaus said.

Rosenhaus said Owens wants to return to the Eagles "ASAP."

However, Eagles officials who watched the news conference told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that the team will not take Owens back.

Owens on Monday was told by the team not to return this season. The decision resulted from "a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time, during which Terrell had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions," Reid said.

The All-Pro wide receiver didn't play in Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games without pay. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate him for the rest of the season.

He was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback instead of McNabb.

Owens apologized specifically to Reid, McNabb, Eagles president Joe Banner, owner Jeffrey Lurie and to fans.

To McNabb, Owens said, "I apologize to him for any comments that may have been negative."

The grievance proceedings could be interesting...

Admittedly, I don't know much about how they are handled and what the NFL considers conduct detrimental to the team....but I can see TO playing up his side of the story...

Something like....

What did I do to deserve being treated this way? I gave honest answers to questions asked of me during an interview. Because the team didn't like what I said they demanded that I apologize to the organization, the team and McNabb...and I did it. They suspend me for one game and I oblige. I come back prepared to play in the next game and they tell me I'm done for the year.

Oh...and yes...there was a fight in the locker room with the team ambassador who likes to refer to himself as "bad-ass-ador". He came in and started with me...some ambassador that is.

I'm being persecuted by the Eagles... :)

The grievance proceedings could be interesting...

Admittedly, I don't know much about how they are handled and what the NFL considers conduct detrimental to the team....but I can see TO playing up his side of the story...

Something like....

What did I do to deserve being treated this way? I gave honest answers to questions asked of me during an interview. Because the team didn't like what I said they demanded that I apologize to the organization, the team and McNabb...and I did it. They suspend me for one game and I oblige. I come back prepared to play in the next game and they tell me I'm done for the year.

Oh...and yes...there was a fight in the locker room with the team ambassador who likes to refer to himself as "bad-ass-ador". He came in and started with me...some ambassador that is.

I'm being persecuted by the Eagles... :)

You heard some of his defense today by Rosenhaus.

There are guys in the league that are felons, that have used illegal drugs...and they haven't been 'treated' this badly... :laugh:

No, too late for an apology... the guy had several chances over the weekend and didn't. BYE.

That was one of the funniest and bizzare PC's I've ever seen.

Best question: "Drew, what have you done over the last 6 months except get T.O. kicked off the team ?"

Classic.

Aside from the Eagles, it was unbelievable!

The ego of TO and Rosenhaus know no bounds.

I'm starting to feel badly that the Eagles had anything to do with this character...

...well, not really.

perhaps the coverage... but it was more than just Springs chasing him to the endzone.... for naught though.

Not, perhaps. Greg Williams volunteered the info right after the game on Comcast. It was a blown call...not to take anything away from the score, though.

Archived