Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legendary Comic Book Writer/Editor Stan Lee Dies

88Comrade2000

wow. just heard this. he---and marvel and the genre at its creation and infancy/adolescence and the community it spawned, specifically in those days, was a big deal for me. probably post a little more on it later. RIP Stan the Man. It's a sadder place without you around, but you sure left one helluva legacy.

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It was a Stan Lee catch phrase and how he used to sign off his editor's notes and the fan letters he answered.

Ah, thanks.

I was a Stan Lee fan, but not so much that I knew any catch phrases or fan letters or editor notes at all.  The man is a legend nonetheless.  A large part of my childhood was shaped by Marvel.

Still love my 90’s comics and ESPECIALLY my 90’s Marvel trading cards.

5 hours ago, httrMP said:

Stan Lee was an amazing, once in a hundred years kind of person. It wasn't just his writing or creating characters for Marvel, but also how he ran the company as editor-in-chief/chairman, building an iconic brand from the ground up that made me look up to him. RIP to the legend, the one and only, Stan "The Man" Lee.

Well on the bright side, he stuck around long enough that we only need to wait 5 more years for the next one.  Excelsior.

I always enjoyed a good Stan's Rant.

Stan Lee gave us our American Mythology.  Captain America is our Gilgamesh/Beowulf/Rama.  He and the Fantastic Four are everything we aspire to be.  The X-Men and the other Avengers are who we are on our better days.  The villains are who we are on our worst ones.

I'm going to miss him.  He stopped writing a long time ago, but Stan Lee was my favorite comic writer by far.  Silver Age Stan Lee FF and Avengers runs are as good as it gets for me.

What's everyone's favorite Marvel comic?  Favorite characters?  Favorite Marvel movies?  Favorite TV series?

My favorite comic is definitely Silver Age FF.  I love the issue where Doom swindled Silver Surfer out of his powers and the story line where the FF first went to Wakanda, when BP was introduced.  And I love the issue where Namor "kidnaps" Sue and Reed goes on the warpath to Atlantis and gets her back.  He uses his iconic bouncing spheroid power for the first time in that issue IIRC.

My favorite character is definitely Reed Richards.  I also love Clint Barton, Kurt Wagner, Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne, Remy LeBeaux, Hank McCoy, Peter Parker, and of course, the GOAT, Steve Rogers.  And you're not a Marvel fan if you don't love Ben Grimm.

My favorite Marvel movies are Logan and Winter Soldier.  I love Black Panther and Spiderman Homecoming too.

My favorite TV show was the shortlived "Wolverine and the X-Men" from 2008.  But I love each of the animated series.  The FF, Spider-Man, and X-Men series from the mid 90's were seminal parts of my childhood.  This theme song will always make the hair on my arm stand up and fill me with joy.  The Joss Whedon X-Men series was amazing--basically a verbatim adaptation of his comic run.  X-Men Evolution was awesome and Avengers Assemble was really good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived