Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

November 9, 2018

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following practice squad player to their active roster:

LB Cassanova McKinzy

The Redskins waived the following player:

C Casey Dunn

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They actually kept 2 OL players who they don’t want to play in Dunn and Christian.

Christian I get as a 3rd round pick, but if a 3rd rounder can’t be a backup....

Give Callahan time with him. We all thought Ioannidis was nothing his first year but tomsula turned him into a stud. Callahan is regarded as highly as Tomsula when it comes to coaching linemen but it ain’t gonna happen overnight. 

17 minutes ago, moondog said:

Give Callahan time with him. We all thought Ioannidis was nothing his first year but tomsula turned him into a stud. Callahan is regarded as highly as Tomsula when it comes to coaching linemen but it ain’t gonna happen overnight. 

Oh I think he’ll be fine down the road.

It was just questionable to pick a 4th string tackle in the 3rd round when you didn’t actually have a starting LG on the roster, and had absolutely no depth on the interior. 

Then they keep a backup guard who they do r want to play, and now release.

Its just the combination of decisions are odd. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It was just questionable to pick a 4th string tackle in the 3rd round when you didn’t actually have a starting LG on the roster, and had absolutely no depth on the interior. 

Yeah I don’t disagree with anything that you said. I can only assume they saw a lot of raw athletic ability and the right frame of a guy they hope steps in next year when Trent again gets his annual injuries. And I think Nsekhe will be unrestricted and he’s like 33. But it most certainly was not a pick for this year and our o-line depth is not great. Kuandjo was not a great backup but I think he was their plan for backup guard. 

4 minutes ago, moondog said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with anything that you said. I can only assume they saw a lot of raw athletic ability and the right frame of a guy they hope steps in next year when Trent again gets his annual injuries. And I think Nsekhe will be unrestricted and he’s like 33. But it most certainly was not a pick for this year and our o-line depth is not great. Kuandjo was not a great backup but I think he was their plan for backup guard. 

Yeah, Arie was in the plans but he got hurt so early, they did have ample time to come up with somebody better than Dunn and Bergstrom as backup guards.  

It all starts with the laziness of just bringing back Luavao to be the starter.  That was just lazy.  And then not to have 2 solid backups behind him, probably one being a veteran, knowing he’s only good for 6-8 games a year was also a bad plan.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

There was no guards remotely close to as Christian was ranked, so he was pretty much the only choice for oline.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There was no guards remotely close to as Christian was ranked, so he was pretty much the only choice for oline.

Agreed. Though I do find it odd they cut Dunn now. Not sure what changed between the beginning of the season and now or why the need (again) for Cassanova McKinzy. But the team drafted Christian because it needs a swing tackle once Nsekhe leaves in the offseason. Sometimes you actually have to plan ahead on these things. And I get the complaints. The team still lacks depth on the interior. But the reality is you can't solve every problem every offseason. The salary cap limits depth throughout the roster and once injuries hit it can weaken a position group fast. Sure the team needs a future LG. So it could have reached in the 3rd for another Josh LeRibeus or it can draft and develop Christian to hopefully replace Nsekhe. I at least understand the logic, but we'll see how it all pans out.

I was pulling for Dunn in the offseason because he seemed to be somebody that had position versatility and that they could develop like they did with Roullier (didn't play first few games, Long goes down, suddenly he's the starter and looking good). If you look back this is kinda how it seems like we do our rookies. 

This year:

Christian - little playing time, except when necessary

Stroman - little playing time, except when necessary

Johnson - little playing time, except when necessary

Apke - little (but got hurt)

SDH - little playing time

Quinn - little playing time (but he got hurt, probably going to see more)

Settle - little playing time

Anderson - little playing time

Are all these guys busts? It seems like they're looking at more than instant impact and more at how coachable they think a player is. I think thats why they invested so hard in good teachers as coaches like OL, DL, DB, and even McVay. 

Looking back at last year: 

- Allen: hurt, played a lot last year playing same rate (more because of injury) and looks good

- Anderson: didn't play much last year, was called a busy by many, looking better this year in limited time

- Nicholson - plan was to have him backup Sua and DJ but Sua was a no show and was forced to play, surprised us all

- Moreau - didn't play much last year, not really called a bust because of what we had seen in Fuller but people wondered

- Perine - don't know about this one. Started as the backup but saw some playing time.Saw a lot more once Rob went down and played OK but can you teach vision? fumbling?

- Sprinkle - not much playing time last year, more this year but still limited action

- Roullier - see above

- Davis - injury prone

- JHC - little playing time last year, even with all the injuries. More towards the end though. And is playing a lot more this year and playing well

- Hosley - injured in what was supposed to be his breakout year. 

I could go back another year but that hurts. Fuller was a beast in his second year (this year meh). Ioannidis is a beast this year and last year. 

So it seems like they may be onto something. I'd be a fool to think that all these guys will wind up on all pro lists, but I think that they think their coaches have the ability to (most of) get these guys to their ceilings, which is why (a) we drafted them or (b) as in the case of a guy like Dunn - why we keep them on the roster. I can look at a guy like Harris and get mad because he wasn't playing more sooner (like his rookie year over Grant) but maybe coaches felt like he needed to continue to develop and light a fire in him because this guy who he knows he's better than is getting time over him (but Harris did fall in that Giants game week 17 of his rookie year that lead to the KC pic). But if we see another game this week like we did last week, and maybe in more meaningful time, than maybe Harris will be another success story for this coaching staff. 

I still wonder if Dunn will be put on the PS again or if we're just done with him. And I wonder who else we're going to try to develop into NFL players. Is there another Ty out there on the streets? 

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If we can't trust Casey Dunn to be an emergency O-Lineman, why did we keep him at all?

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They actually kept 2 OL players who they don’t want to play in Dunn and Christian.

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I was pulling for Dunn in the offseason

Did you guys really think he'd last very long, with a name like Dunn ? :)

As for Christian, I would not compare him to Dunn, as far as keeping guys you don't want to play.

I'm sure they thought he was too good to put on the PS, but not good enough to start yet. So, his status lies somewhere between those 2 slots.

That's not really a terrible mark, if a 3rd round rookie Tackle isn't ready to start after just 8 games.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

they had three guards who started games last year available and a fourth they thought had potential.  They're all on IR and the last guy didn't pan out

Also, Dunn was active for all the games Lauvao missed and did get in for a snap or two I think.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Absolutely agree with you.  Will Hernandez was the guy I was watching but he was gone before we picked in the 2nd.  In fact I think we were looking at him and when he was gone, we decided to move back and were able to get Guice. 

My frustration with the whole situation is why wasn't there a better plan going forward?  Maybe there wasn't a good Guard option for us in the draft the way things played out, I'm good with that because I'm actually happy with our draft, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that our LG position was a major concern, not just in performance, but in health... even if it meant looking in free agency.  

8 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

He didn't make the 53 last year.

No way he was in their plans at all...

Before his injury Arie wasn't the plan for a backup LG. He was getting talked up as competition to actually start instead of Lauvao. It was the most unimpressive competition to by hyped up since Beck and Grossman.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yep. All good guard prospects except Wyatt Teller were taken by the time Christian was picked

I am still pissed we took Apke instead of Teller in rd 4

12 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

He didn't make the 53 last year.

No way he was in their plans at all...

Long term? Most likely not. But we turned to him last year and signed him back from the ravens (out of need) and he had starting experience from that. We brought him to camp this year and had he not had a season ending injury I believe he was our plan for backup at Guard THIS year. That’s all I was saying. 

Just now, method man said:

Yep. All good guard prospects except Wyatt Teller were taken by the time Christian was picked

I am still pissed we took Apke instead of Teller in rd 4

I think the FO was planning on SL always coming back unless something fell to us. That's my guess.

If we had another FS other than Nicolson, I'd agree and we see what a hole that was, that we just spent another 4rth on a FS midseason. 

19 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

My frustration with the whole situation is why wasn't there a better plan going forward?  Maybe there wasn't a good Guard option for us in the draft the way things played out, I'm good with that because I'm actually happy with our draft, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that our LG position was a major concern, not just in performance, but in health... even if it meant looking in free agency.  

That sounds great in theory, but simply throwing money at some free agent isn't always the solution either. I mean that's how Lauvao got here in the first place. There were expensive Gs in free agency like Andrew Norwell of Justin Pugh, but those guys are realistically out of the price range of the team. In fact any guy with even decent experience cost money, look at Spencer Long. I know some wanted Jack Mewhort, but he retired. If you combed through the 2018 free agent list, I'm sure you could find some bargains somewhere in there. But there are plenty more bade contracts or outright busts (see Patrick Omameh). So while it's great to say there should have been a plan, what exactly do you think the team should have done? Not picked Payne and taken a guard in the first? If so, who? Not take Guice and take a guard in the second? If so, who? Sign a free agent? If so, who (mind you signing anyone for even decent money likely affects who the team can sign in 2019)?

Archived