Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

One underrated aspect of the first 5 games is that we've gotten a leg up on a couple other potential NFC wild card contenders. Sure, let's win the division. But, assuming Philly rights the ship and gets to 10-11 wins, I don't think we'll match that pace. 

However, we have a shot here to get to 4-1 in the NFC if we can beat Dallas. That alone is a very important start for tie-breakers. Add to that we have a head-to-head win over the Packers and Panthers who are both unlikely to win their respective divisions, and we couldn't ask for a better start. 

Good point but we had better be hummin by the time playoffs arrive. If we make it that is!!

I was convinced the defense was going to blow it at the end of the 4th quarter but they got the job done.  Our offense has got to be better in terms of scoring touchdowns instead of field goals.  Special teams finally got a turnover which was great to see.  Offensive line is hurting and we may need at least one backup lineman to start against the Cowboys.

True, you certainly cant look ahead and say "we should beat the next opponent". This team can be beat by anyone. And just as well, they surprise us with an unlikely win at times. Even when they dominate a team in the first half, its never over. Always a roller coaster ride.

5 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Just because nobody else in the division is winning games right now isn't particularly something to crow about. 3-2, yay were are leading the division.

That's not a bad thing.

We also have not played a division game yet. Which could be good or bad ...

11 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Just because nobody else in the division is winning games right now isn't particularly something to crow about. 3-2, yay were are leading the division.

I can give two ****s what other teams in our division are doing..I'm just going to enjoy the win and being in first place in the division...let y'all worry about the rest.

We contained cam and McCaffrey alot better than I thot we would...gives me confidence in the d with dak and zeek coming to town.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

nd our outside linebackers don't really generate any kind of pass rush. They are better against the run, but there has been very little pressure. The whole point in playing a zone defensive is to pressure the QB with the four man rush and force it to throw to the zones. I'd start blitzing the inside backers more considering they aren't getting downhill on their own and play man behind it more often. Will we get beat? Yup. Are we already? Yup. Might also cause more mistakes from the offenses we face.

Lack of pass rush was a big issue for us yesterday. The contrast between the pressure Carolina got mainly just rushing 4 and the lack of real pressure we got with our base rush was stark. Smith got close a couple of times but I watched Kerrigan quite a bit during the game - and he was not getting much pressure. He was a factor against the run though. This is an issue.

One of the very few times we sent extra rushers was that last 4th down play - which I was delighted about. Risky but we played to win rather than hoping we didn't lose. We got pressure and impacted the throw - incomplete, game over. Like you I think we are going to have to get more aggressive with defensive play calls to manufacture pressure. Question is do we have the corners who can hold up in man to do that ...

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I'd say that would be a good point if Kirk hadn't put up similar numbers last season with the same guys you mention. And no AP. 

Also not suggesting Kirk is some elite player, but I'm missing him so far. I truly hope Alex can put an end to that, but I'm not seeing it yet. 

To stay true to the intent of this thread, that's my main takeaway from yesterday, that Smith just does not look at all "as advertised," and that's a huge concern moving forward for me. It's not an argument about Kirk vs. Smith. There's no point in arguing it anymore. Besides, the numbers speak for themselves. 

That said, both teams have pretty much the same records, and in the end, that's all that matters. Alex gets us a win next week, and I'm much more in his corner. 

Don't forget a MASH unit OL and a much worse defense.

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Alex didn't FU in the LAST needed drive to make Carolina HAVE to score a TD. THAT is the difference..screw the stats

Don't forget about the drive that he fumbled the ball and Trent caught it and ran for 4 yards to get us into position to try a 56 yard FG? Oh, he completely ****ed that up. Trent just saved his ass. Without that, They just kick a FG and beat us in OT.

I want Alex Smith to work out, believe me. But that final offensive drive went exactly the way many just like that have gone since Gruden has been here. Even as we got into FG range and drove inside the 20, I just didn't see any way we'd get a TD and end the game. But, I can't remember many times when Cousins didn't get us a FG himself in similar situations. I'm sure, over 3+ seasons of games, he turned the ball over a couple/few times in those situations. But I could have been watching the 2015, 2016, or 2017 Redskins there down the stretch. In fact, for all the **** we give Cousins, the grounding play at the end of the half was almost exactly out of the NO game last year. 

Or the strip sack of Smith that Williams catches and gets us close enough to hit a 56 yard FG.

1 hour ago, Morrison J said:

I really don't think you can fairly compare numbers of this year compared to last. It's a completely different league this year. Gone completely in favour of offense. Smith should be bettering Kirk's numbers of last year really.

Dude, it's been one year. We're not comparing the 70's NFL to today.

4 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

holy crap do some of you get ANY enjoyment out of this team lol

We could be 5-0 and someone would **** because Alex Smith tied his shoes wrong, or Gruden didnt go for it on a 4th and 1 from the 50...or Kerrigan itched his nose before a snap....

Play Quick and Harris more. Trade Doctson.

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

We could be 5-0 and someone would **** because Alex Smith tied his shoes wrong, or Gruden didnt go for it on a 4th and 1 from the 50...or Kerrigan itched his nose before a snap....

But we're not 5-0. We're 3-2..which leads one to believe...another 500 season.

21 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I can give two ****s what other teams in our division are doing..I'm just going to enjoy the win and being in first place in the division...let y'all worry about the rest.

We contained cam and McCaffrey alot better than I thot we would...gives me confidence in the d with dak and zeek coming to town.

Never confident with Dallas. Even when we are better, we lose.

5 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Nothing sets me off like Kerrigan itching his nose!!

Randy's 3 fers

Good

Special Teams were special! No sarcasm this time.

Josh Norman with a bounce back game.  I don't think he is our 3rd best corner.

The over the hillers - Vernon "cut back" Davis, and Adrian "Stiff Arm" Peterson showing the kids how its done.

Bad

Pass Pro

Pass Rush

Passing Out - after drowning ourselves from watching horrid line play.

Mehgly

Smith has learned that our interior OL is suspect in pass pro, and it's making him uncomfortable in the pocket. He threw a TD to a WR and we won, but was a pass out candidate on many plays.

Josh Doctson had a monster game. Ok, a good game for him.

ILB Play - I think we often have our insides playing read / zone. Don't expect anything of note from them when doing that.  LBs were born aggressive. Doing anything but attacking is unnatural for them.

9 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Yeah it's wild the attitude on here, even after wins. I never had the glory years though so for me ill take what looks to be 4 straight years of our season not being over in November. As sad as that is.

Just now, HardcoreZorn said:

Yeah it's wild the attitude on here, even after wins. I never had the glory years though so for me ill take what looks to be 4 straight years of our season not being over in November. As sad as that is.

I only speak for myself... but as a coach you tend to find positives and negatives nearly every week. You focus on things you can/need to improve

Just now, KDawg said:

I only speak for myself... but as a coach you tend to find positives and negatives nearly every week. You focus on things you can/need to improve

absolutely! But you wouldn't be someone I would be referring to. There is nothing wrong with pointing out negatives and areas of improvement. The board would be boring as hell if it was one giant redskins love fest. But yeah I'm not really referring to that type of take.

Our lack of offensive production in the second half of games is beyond disturbing.  Jay's inconsistent play calling from week to week is also equally disturbing.  I'm happy as hell that we are 3-2 and in 1st place right now, as the rest of the division looks pretty average and is down.  So, unless something drastically changes across all teams in the division, it is up for grabs.

Right now, we are on a teeter-totter week to week, win, lose, win, lose, win............and the main link in all those wins, is pathetic offensive production in the second halves of games.  It makes no sense to me.  How we can play so well in the first half (at least in the wins) and just all the sudden look pathetic in the second half. 

We have put up 3, 6, 3, 6 and 6 points in the second half in games 1-5 this year.  With only one TD, in garbage time against the Saints in a blow-out game.  This has absolutely got to be fixed.  While I'll take winning the division or even making the playoffs, regardless of how ugly it was to get there, if we get embarrassed like we did at home against Green Bay back in 2015, its just another heartache.  

Looking right now at the point differential, we are only at +2.  Dallas and Philly are both at +20, Giants are -45.  We have a chance to win two division games the next two weeks (Dallas and Giants).  We get Dallas at home and then go on the road to play NY, which might be a trap game for us, especially if they lose to the Falcons next week.  That would put them at 1-6 and on a four game losing streak........one of those games where an actually good team would go in and beat the **** out of them, but it never works out that way for us.

I want Alex Smith to work out, believe me. But that final offensive drive went exactly the way many just like that have gone since Gruden has been here. Even as we got into FG range and drove inside the 20, I just didn't see any way we'd get a TD and end the game. But, I can't remember many times when Cousins didn't get us a FG himself in similar situations. I'm sure, over 3+ seasons of games, he turned the ball over a couple/few times in those situations. But I could have been watching the 2015, 2016, or 2017 Redskins there down the stretch. In fact, for all the **** we give Cousins, the grounding play at the end of the half was almost exactly out of the NO game last year. 

I have a hard time agreeing with that grounding call. The running back was right there and he got hit while throwing it. 

Archived