Extremeskins

Is Donald Trump a racist?

Cooked Crack

Is Trump a racist?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is he a racist?

9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Did you vote for Trump?

I have found that to be a shockingly good litmus test.

One year ago I'd have taken a long pause before agreeing with this. Today I 100% agree with this statement and I would lose some of my longest-standing friends if I repeated it to them. They may not even know the extent of their racism, probably have never had it truly exposed for them, and certainly live in a hard denial of it.

Correction: Actually, I'm gradually losing them anyway... but because THEY see ME as a problem. 

12 minutes ago, Chachie said:

One year ago I'd have taken a long pause before agreeing with this. Today I 100% agree with this statement and I would lose some of my longest-standing friends if I repeated it to them. They may not even know the extent of their racism, probably have never had it truly exposed for them, and certainly live in a hard denial of it.

Correction: Actually, I'm gradually losing them anyway... but because THEY see ME as a problem. 

Why would you worry about losing friends who are racists? 

7 minutes ago, Chachie said:

It's been a really upsetting two years.

7 minutes ago, grego said:

Why would you worry about losing friends who are racists? 

I'll answer that because I have the same experience.

It's not about losing friends who are racists.

It's about discovering people who I have loved in some instances for 40 years are inexplicably racists. I've shared this, but my best friends parents were always the coolest, hippest most loving couple I knew outside of my own parents. They were both highly successful and - not that it matters - really attractive. They recently moved to Florida to be near their daughter and her beautiful wife - and yes I said wife.

The fact that they have spent the past year posting the most insane FoxNews/her emails/build a wall/MS13/Maxine Waters memes and stories from the kookiest of kooky sites is bizarre. It's almost tragic.

This is the way I've come to handle this type of thing emotionally. I've come to believe FoxNews is a drug and people who expose themselves to it for five or six hours a day - as these two clearly are doing - are turning themselves into monsters. It's like having a cousin on heroin. You know the person they once were is still in there somewhere. You just hope that he can get away from the drug and come back to you.

And - in the other direction - I think too much MSNBC does this as well, though it doesn't create the same kind of monsters. My mom and her sister watch far too much MSNBC and it's like they are on the verge of tears all the time because of it. They haven't become hateful just really really sad.

53 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Lol well I would agree with you but a few here wouldnt 

Re: Lombardi's defintion - it is that sort of thing that will get him reelected.  If many on the left insist in calling anyone who voted him a racist or anyone who disagrees with that definition one you not only will not only lock in those who voted for him to vote for him again but will push others who didn't to do so next time. 

So you think Try the Beal is a racist huh? He is one of two that post here that I stated they voted for Trump.

47 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Well  if you are thinking this way they are seeing it accurately (ie you are the problem).

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Re: Lombardi's defintion - it is that sort of thing that will get him reelected.  If many on the left insist in calling anyone who voted him a racist or anyone who disagrees with that definition one you not only will not only lock in those who voted for him to vote for him again but will push others who didn't to do so next time. 

So you think Try the Beal is a racist huh? He one of two that post here that I know voted for Trump.

Well  if you are thinking this way they are seeing it accurately (ie you are the problem).

You're looking at this backwards. At this point, the damage is done. If you voted for Trump, you have to live with the consequences of it. Voting for him again out of spite - to me - means you voted out of spite twice.

I would like to know what anyone who voted for Trump thinks now. I think you should have known what were you doing in November of 2016. But I'll accept a road to Damascus moment and forgive everyone who acknowledges the error of their ways.

And for the record, I just stated that I think my best friend's parents who I love and adore are racists. Do you think I feel guilty for saying that about some guy I talk NBA with on the internet?

@Lombardi's_kid_brother I've had a similar experience with one of my closest friends who basically showed a side of themselves that put or relationship in a bad spot.  Talked about it before, like breaks from talking level, trying to find someway not to throw it away level, he defends me around his friends and I defend him around mine, trying to reconcile our politcal differences to show its still possible level.

But Fox News and Trump are feeding the worst part's of him and others, it absolutely reminds me of addiction's itve seen first hand.  I've gotten **** on here for making the same comments you just did about MSNBC, it's not helping, that's for damn sure.

I want to make a quick point. All these people have shown a deep and shocking hatred of Mexicans. With about 3/4 of that list, this is bizarre because they live in West Virginia and there are maybe 5 Mexican people there.

I feel like this is what Trump has stoked in people. And other stuff is coming up with anti-Mexican sentiment.

So, another way of coping is that these people have inexplicably become severely anti-Mexican in, like, their 70s.

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'll answer that because I have the same experience.

It's not about losing friends who are racists.

It's about discovering people who I have loved in some instances for 40 years are inexplicably racists.

but thats strange. how do you not  know for years that someone is a racist? seems like something i can pick up very quickly. 

Just now, grego said:

but thats strange. how do you now know for years that someone is a racist? seems like something i can pick up very quickly. 

In a lot of cases, I feel like this is a pretty new thing. Like I said, a LOT of this is directed at Mexicans. I grew up in West Virginia. We didn't have Mexican restaurants when I was a kid, let alone honest to God Mexican people. We still don't, but we do have Fox News.

Like, my 85 year old former principal is absolutely terrified of MS13. The town he lives in is full of white people filled with heroin, but MS13 is going to kidnap his great-grandchildren.

I think there was always an undercurrent of racism flowing through all these folks' lives. But it was relatively benign and easy to ignore. Like I said, the fact that they are now arming themselves for a Mexican uprising has suddenly made them deeply suspicious of all people of color. Because black people may, I don't know, be working for MS13 or something.

None of this makes a whole lot of sense.

Here is where a lot of this came clear: the hurricane in Puerto Rico. People were PISSED that tax dollars were going to Puerto Rico. I still think that Trump doesn't fully understand or maybe accept that Puerto Ricans are Americans and this has somehow spread to his base.

Again, the only way I can stay sane is to treat it like an addiction or disease. All these people had a gene inside them that made them susceptible to racism. Being exposed to Trump triggered the cancer. It's living next to a chemical plant.

America has a weird history of phases of who we are told be most racist towards (blacks seem to have permanent stasis with that, adding to our unique relationship with this country).  Typically lines up with where most of the immigrants are coming from at the time, they are threats, they'll take our jobs, blah blah blah, rinse wash repeat.  Irish, Italians, Chinese... it keeps going, and now we're to Mexicans.  

Say it's reversed, and whites are the immigrants (again) that are the boogeyman.  You see why asking if trump is a racist doesn't really address this?  These people are seeking asylum, but that's not the narrative that addresses people's concerns that has nothing to do with where they came from.  

Another problem is so many people not getting the chance to live their everyday lives with different races  around and seeing how little of the deal that actually is, like NOVA.  Places like where I and LBK are from originally (born in Fairfax) are damn near different countries.

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

I keep pointing out his lies (like the Wisconsin thing)...even from my husband, who was once a vibrant, proud liberal like me..."OH, WELL!!!" 

I actually told him that I'd call his "nanny-nanny boo-boo" approach and raise him a "democracy his uncles are buried in Arlington for".

We're not doing well around here. ?

But I'm smiling while simultaneously freaking out. Waiting tables my whole life...I AM AN ACTRESS.  

Oh, and I'm an emphatic yes on the poll.

Hail, y'all. 

34 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

n a lot of cases, I feel like this is a pretty new thing. Like I said, a LOT of this is directed at Mexicans

Leaders lead.  People have their principles and positions defined for them by elites.  And Republicans always fall in line.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He has a great relationship with "the blacks" which is something my grandpa born in 1912 would have said.

God, yes, he's a racist.

Did you vote for Trump?

I have found that to be a shockingly good litmus test.

The answer to that is yes.

Dang.  Im 0 for 2 on meaningless polls today. 

The fact that they have spent the past year posting the most insane FoxNews/her emails/build a wall/MS13/Maxine Waters memes and stories from the kookiest of kooky sites is bizarre. It's almost tragic.

Yup. Highly successful, fun, otherwise good natured people exposing themselves as racist loons that’s makes you completely reconsider your ability to judge people 

This is the way I've come to handle this type of thing emotionally. I've come to believe FoxNews is a drug and people who expose themselves to it for five or six hours a day - as these two clearly are doing - are turning themselves into monsters. It's like having a cousin on heroin. You know the person they once were is still in there somewhere. You just hope that he can get away from the drug and come back to you.

100% agreement. I came to same conclusions. It’s an awful thing to witness. 

And - in the other direction - I think too much MSNBC does this as well, though it doesn't create the same kind of monsters.

Again, in completely agreement. 

I can’t help but wonder how much of this is me growing up and realizing things (about myself, my community, my country, my friend and family) and how much of this is just an incredibly bad situation.  

41 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Dang.  Im 0 for 2 on meaningless polls today. 

It's not meaningless. 

These are the people you've been talking to for years. Your friends through every win or loss. You may need someone sometime (remember that rally to get SWFL to safety during a hurricane? That was me and @Riggo-toni).

At least try to understand REALITY. You may need it.

Archived