Burgold

Anthony Kennedy announces intention to retire from SCOTUS

15 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'm okay with that.

One person should never have that much power. We shouldn't be sitting aside hoping that RBG dies/stays alive until 2020.

I don't get that either. Seems like we would have a more practical and fair court situation if one maverick, rogue or ideologue on the SC couldn't swing the court so wildly for 30+ years. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don't get that either. Seems like we would have a more practical and fair court situation if one maverick, rogue or ideologue on the SC couldn't swing the court so wildly for 30+ years. 

So many progressives are talking about packing the court with two new justices if Dems control executive and legislature 2020.

I say pack with 10. If it becomes an arms race, so be it but this current system of waiting for someone to die or retire to drastically change the court is a mess. Especially since these are lifetime appointments. 

Ideally, I would love to have revolving judges selected by a bi-partisan commission to sit on the court each year but this country's constitution probably cannot change at this point.

• Like 1