Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

On 1/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, Larry said:

New "issue" being pushed by the religious right:ย  At least six states are pushing "bible literacy" legislation.ย ย 

ย 

USAT: Bible classes in public schools? Why Christian lawmakers are pushing a wave of new bills

If I were a teacher in one of these states Iโ€™d happily comply with these laws. I could coverย theย entire Bible in a week using this book. It condenses it all down so it can be quickly and easily understood and is hilarious to boot. Thereโ€™s so much stuff in the Bible that Xtians like to pretend isnโ€™t there, that a clever person could use Song of Solomon, among other stuff toย get them to withdraw this garbage legislation without having to use the usual method, i.e. suing for equal time for Satanism or, even worse *GASP* Islam!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

If I were a teacher in one of these states Iโ€™d happily comply with these laws. I could coverย theย entire Bible in a week using this book. It condenses it all down so it can be quickly and easily understood and is hilarious to boot. Thereโ€™s so much stuff in the Bible that Xtians like to pretend isnโ€™t there, that a clever person could use Song of Solomon, among other stuff toย get them to withdraw this garbage legislation without having to use the usual method, i.e. suing for equal time for Satanism or, even worse *GASP* Islam!!

ย 

Purchased.ย 

• Like 1

Are they going to teach the history of the Bible? Like how a group of really powerful men got together and voted on which letters were the word of God, how that carries about as much authority as if the mods decided that the forum rules were the word of God,ย and how they poured boiling water into peoples vaginas if they disagreed?

ย 

edit: Christians poured boiling water in peopleโ€™s vaginas. Not the mods.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

And a beard now.

Makes him look slightly less punchable.

• Haha 2

From that Article on Shady Brett:

ย 

"The judges concluded that while the complaints "are serious," there is no existing authority that allows lower court judges to investigate or discipline Supreme Court justices."

ย 

ย 

We gonna have to impeach his drunk ass.

• Like 5

When I was in High School they had bible clubs as well as 20 other clubs.ย  Seems like that is plenty enough for those actually interested in learning about it.ย 

ย 

In world civilization class we had a particular assignment where we all had to research a specific religion randomly.ย  Basically just talk about their historical context, basic tenants, and stuff.ย  ย 

ย 

I don't think anyone has an issue with either of the two things above.

ย 

The problem with what Trump is proposing is that right off the bat it is showing a preference to a specific religion.ย  Even if you frame the class as learning about it from a historical perspective, it is giving it special treatment as the one holy book to ponder.ย  Even if you put that to the side (although I don't think you can constitutionally) how is the class being taught in the context of what the bible is.ย  Is it being taught as if the bible is merely a religious book that exists and you use your own critical thinking to figure out if it is true or not.....or is it a "the bible is the word of god and we are going to make sure you are all schooled up on it" class?

ย 

ย 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

Way back in the 80s, my HS offered "The Bible as Literature". In English class, there was a poll conducted on interest, and only me & the guy next to me (who sold his drum set to my dad as my surprise Christmas gift ๐Ÿ˜) raised our hands.ย 

I don't think they could find an appropriate teacher, because the topic was never taught.ย 

3 hours ago, clietas said:

Good points. My HS also had a bible club. There was also a comparative religions class offered as an elective. I took it senior year but it was first period so I missed a lot of the classes. Got a F....ย 

I assumed you'd get a D for "Damned for all eternity".

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

....Is it being taught as if the bible is merely a religious book that exists and you use your own critical thinking to figure out if it is true or not.....or is it a "the bible is the word of god and we are going to make sure you are all schooled up on it" class?

This is a rhetorical question, right?ย 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, NoCalMike said:

When I was in High School they had bible clubs as well as 20 other clubs.ย  Seems like that is plenty enough for those actually interested in learning about it.ย 

ย 

In world civilization class we had a particular assignment where we all had to research a specific religion randomly.ย  Basically just talk about their historical context, basic tenants, and stuff.ย  ย 

ย 

I don't think anyone has an issue with either of the two things above.

ย 

The problem with what Trump is proposing is that right off the bat it is showing a preference to a specific religion.ย  Even if you frame the class as learning about it from a historical perspective, it is giving it special treatment as the one holy book to ponder.ย  Even if you put that to the side (although I don't think you can constitutionally) how is the class being taught in the context of what the bible is.ย  Is it being taught as if the bible is merely a religious book that exists and you use your own critical thinking to figure out if it is true or not.....or is it a "the bible is the word of god and we are going to make sure you are all schooled up on it" class?

ย 

ย 

An in depthย history class of organized religion at the high school level would do wonders in our society. ย Stuff like this should be an elective, if have one catered to Christianity (either the history, teachings, or both) helped get Creationism out of science classes, I'd met that compromise halfway in a heartbeat.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

New kid got so drunk he forgot what precedent was.

ย 

He believes that he was placed here for the specific purpose of violating precedent. (And he is correct.)

ย 

He also believes that he and his cohorts are now immune to the world, and therefore don't have to hide the fact that they lied to get there. (He's correct there, too. But some of his cohorts still want to hide it, anyway.)

• Like 1

Just also observing, as to this and similar laws:

ย 

The original ruling inย Roeย was that the law banning abortions claimed to do so to protect the safety of the mother, but that abortion had reached the point where the risks of abortion, while not zero, were safer than the risks of pregnancy. And that therefore, banning abortions took away the individual's freedom without a valid reason.ย 

ย 

The law being reviewed is an attempt to ban abortions, by claiming to be for safety.ย 

• Like 1