Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Athlete in D.C. History (team sports)

Sticksboi05

Greatest D.C. team sports athlete ever   

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the greatest in D.C. history?

• Walter Johnson
    • Sammy Baugh
    • Darrell Green
    • John Riggins
    • Alex Ovechkin
    • Wes Unseld
    • Elvin Hayes
    • Other

46 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This thread is really just a disguised poll with the intent to get everyone in and circle jerk for Ovechkin now that the rush of winnin the cup has died down. Now we need validation. But hockey is a still a sport nobody cares about. Ovi is amazing at hockey but that’s like being the best scrabble player I n the DC area. Yeah that’s nice and all but it’s not really a big deal or something most care to notice. Dude could be sitting 5ft away from the majority of sports fans in the area and they wouldn’t know him

The answer sadly is Darrell Green. He’s an all time great at his position, multiple time champion, played at a high level for his entire career and he played at a time when the league wasn’t watered down and laughable like Baugh. 

The fact green is the answer speaks to the state of DC sports. 

I can only assume this is a troll post? Nobody cares about hockey? You could make your argument without saying stupid **** that is demonstrably false.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thebluefood said:

Not to mention Green wasn't a player who carried a team on his back the way Ovi, Baugh, and Johnson had in their respective sports and teams. I don't know if a cornerback, no matter how good they are, can do that. In football, only a quarterback can (and the keyword there is can) conceivably do that. 

The Gibbs I era had great players too be sure but they were a team. The X factors on that team were on the sidelines and the FO in Gibbs and Bethard (respectively).

And yes, @Spaceman Spiff - Scherzer could very well be in this conversation, especially if the Nats actually manage to get it together and win a championship this year. He is, far and away, the best player on the team right now and his stellar W/L record doesn't even do him service (though W/L records for baseball pitchers are pretty iffy metrics to begin with).

He's already right there with Sonny Jurgensen and Elvin Hayes as the town's best free agent acquisition. He leads them to the pennant and especially a World Series championship, he's front and center in the conversation. 

Yeah, he's on his way to this conversation.  I'd love to see the Nats get it together and win a title.  Not even a Nats fan but I think that'd be awesome to see.  

I think he's the closest thing to Nolan Ryan that we have today.  "I'm going to shove this ball up your ass from the first inning through the last inning.  You know you can't hit it, I know you can't hit it, let's stop ****ing around and I'll show you who's boss."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, he's on his way to this conversation.  I'd love to see the Nats get it together and win a title.  Not even a Nats fan but I think that'd be awesome to see.  

I think he's the closest thing to Nolan Ryan that we have today.  "I'm going to shove this ball up your ass from the first inning through the last inning.  You know you can't hit it, I know you can't hit it, let's stop ****ing around and I'll show you who's boss."

Unfortunately, the rest of his team is so confident in his abilities they don't even give him run support. He's had to do it himself recently. He's a strikeout artist for sure and we haven't had one of those in D.C. since - 

275px-Walter_Johnson_1924.jpg

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

but he was traded to Washington when he was ..what?   30 years old already?   (somewhere about that age?)     he CAN'T be in the discussion as the greatest WASHINGTON athlete...can he?         

(or...are we going to take credit for Jordan too?  How about Johan Cruyff?)  

1 minute ago, mcsluggo said:

but he was traded to Washington when he was ..what?   30 years old already?   (somewhere about that age?)     he CAN'T be in the discussion as the greatest WASHINGTON athlete...can he?         

(or...are we going to take credit for Jordan too?  How about Johan Cruyff?)  

Well Jordan didn't accomplish anything while he was here.  Scherzer had already played some seasons but his best work is happening while being in DC.  

I think if he stopped playing today and were elected to the Hall of Fame (realistically he needs a few more years) he'd go in wearing a Nats hat.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This thread is really just a disguised poll with the intent to get everyone in and circle jerk for Ovechkin now that the rush of winnin the cup has died down. Now we need validation. But hockey is a still a sport nobody cares about. Ovi is amazing at hockey but that’s like being the best scrabble player I n the DC area. Yeah that’s nice and all but it’s not really a big deal or something most care to notice. Dude could be sitting 5ft away from the majority of sports fans in the area and they wouldn’t know him

The answer sadly is Darrell Green. He’s an all time great at his position, multiple time champion, played at a high level for his entire career and he played at a time when the league wasn’t watered down and laughable like Baugh. 

The fact green is the answer speaks to the state of DC sports. 

I said good day sir

vret4tbfoauz.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So Ovi's got 607 goals, Gretzky's record is 894.  Is it actually realistic that Ovi could get that record?  Seems like he's still got a ways to go.

he wont break Gretzky's record. 

There is a better chance Ovechkin comes back 10-15 lbs overweight into training camp, than he breaks Gretzky's record.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

There is a better chance Ovechkin comes back 10-15 lbs overweight into training camp, than he breaks Gretzky's record.

300 more goals?  That’s 50 goals per for 6 more seasons.  Puts him at a healthy 38 years old (allegedly).

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't think he'd break it either, but a few more 50 goal seasons and he might have a shot.  Hockey players seem to be able to go for awhile, Gretzky seemed to have played forever.  

80s-edm-c-wayne-gretzky-sexy.jpg

It's kinda hard to take this dude seriously.  C'mon. 

6 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Lol that's cruel. I don't wanna pretend like he didn't play - I won't go that far. Also we've got the "hockey hater" browsing the thread so cue the "I don't care about hockey so Ovechkin can't be the choice" post likely incoming. :)

That was funny but it’s not just me. It’s probably the 6th most popular sport in the country. So if you want that to be what represents DC, then so be it. It’s about as noteworthy as picking Patrick Ewing for his Hoyas career. 

But where does Spongebob rank among DC athletes? How about Danny Tanner? 

E1B2BE4D-865A-43AE-9D64-6D12DF403AE1.thumb.png.7e8b2366db95e0e7d817f112bc6ec926.png

5 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

I can only assume this is a troll post? Nobody cares about hockey? You could make your argument without saying stupid **** that is demonstrably false.

Yeah...pretty much nobody comparatively 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That was funny but it’s not just me. It’s probably the 6th most popular sport in the country. So if you want that to be what represents DC, then so be it. It’s about as noteworthy as picking Patrick Ewing for his Hoyas career. 

But where does Spongebob rank among DC athletes? How about Danny Tanner? 

Yeah...pretty much nobody comparatively 

And by the same token, 45% of all TVs in D.C. were tuned into Game 5 of the Cup not including the hundreds of thousands downtown outside the arena. I don't really care if people outside the D.C. area are engaged in our playoff games, why does that matter so much to you? It's the opposite of why I can't get how Mournblade cares so much if people in D.C. focus on the Capitals nonstop for 12 months after their title to the point where he wants the Nationals to lose.

Anyway, I could write an essay on how the NHL fails to market itself and its stars, and how old Canadians drag down the personality of the league and make it less fun for kids. I'm not one of those hockey is perfect and if you don't see it you're an idiot fans.  Seriously, there's so much wrong there it's ridiculous. But as long as I find it entertaining, if others don't, whatever. And I'm not going to judge its worthiness based on what some random guy in Nebraska or Alabama might think.

The Redskins get outdrawn in ratings by random teams in their own market now - but you're not going to start caring less are you (well besides the trash on field product).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

Yeah, it’s a shame that DC can’t muster a more dominant athlete given how unpopular hockey is.

The thread poll isn't asking most dominant athlete it's asking for the greatest athlete. In the context of "greatest" discussion, popularity and actual relevance within the sports world matters. Hockey doesn't sit at the adult table in the sports world. 

It's the same reason why whoever the Michael Jordans of lacrosse, wrestling or rowing etc are do not get the same recognition because nobody cares about those sports even if those athletes could be more dominant or greater than the Jordans and Bradys are at their sports.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The thread poll isn't asking most dominant athlete it's asking for the greatest athlete. In the context of "greatest" discussion, popularity and actual relevance within the sports world matters. Hockey doesn't sit at the adult table in the sports world. 

It's the same reason why whoever the Michael Jordans of lacrosse, wrestling or rowing etc are do not get the same recognition because nobody cares about those sports even if those athletes could be more dominant or greater than the Jordans and Bradys are at their sports.

Hockey is a lot more relevant in DC than you think. Did you not see the parade?

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

And yet no other DC athlete can crack Ovechkin.

In a few years there might be more Caps in the top 5. Ovie's status as #1 is locked down for basically ever but if the Caps keep winning, I could see Holtby and Backstrom being 2 and 3. Wall might get up there but he's had injury problems and due to the nature of the NBA, he'll likely never win a ring. No current Redskin is even in the same universe. Scherzer if he has a few more dominant years but the first chunk of his career was on another team and Harper is probably gone.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

When a lacrosse league has enough fans to generate more revenue than all but four sports leagues in the world that will be a valid comparison. It doesn't sit at "your" adult table is what you basically are saying, which by the way is 100% fine. There's a legion of people in the south that think auto racing is relevant too, and to them it is and that's all that matters.

You're not going to give up the Yankees despite baseball's rapid decline in relevance and the fact that the All Star Game's average viewer age was like 55 last year. That doesn't bode well for 2030. What is the threshold for relevance and who decides it? If media organizations are willing to dedicate a reporter to the sport, and cities are able to organize parades where upwards of a million people or more will attend (2.5 million for the Blackhawks in Chicago), then I'd say it's relevant enough.

The rest of the world does not care about American football. I find it laughable to call a Super Bowl a "world championship". But I'm still going to cheer for the Skins this fall. To each their own of course, but I just will never get why you need other people to tell you it's entertaining. If you've watched and personally decided this isn't for me, I don't find it fun a la @Mr. Sinister that is 100% understandable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If hockey - with its considerable, international reach - doesn't sit at the adult table, what does? As far as sheer numbers are concerned, sports like cricket, rugby, and especially soccer are way more relevant than any of the "Big 4." The Super Bowl ain't **** compared to the FIFA or ICC World Cups if we're talking about sheer numbers of people who give a **** about it. 

I think Ovechkin's influence on the local sports landscape is well established (he's the biggest reason why I went from knowing nothing about the sport to being a fan) but even in the sports world I still contend Ovechkin is number one. Who'd be a bigger name than him across the borders or overseas? Any member of the 'Skins? You're hard pressed to find casual football fans in the States who could name any of the Posse or the Hogs or most of the team's current players. Strasburg, Harper, and Wall probably have more international appeal than any of them since baseball and basketball have a broader reach than football ever will.

Honestly - comparing hockey to wrestling or rowing or lacrosse. Did you see the crowds downtown for the Stanley Cup Final matches? Go ahead and try to do that next time the Chesapeake Bayhawks are in contention for a Steinfeld Cup. 

Ovehckin is, undoubtedly, #1. I say that as a hardcore baseball fan and "Nats First" D.C. Sports fan. It's Ovie and it ain't even close.  

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

When a lacrosse league has enough fans to generate more revenue than all but four sports leagues in the world that will be a valid comparison. It doesn't sit at "your" adult table is what you basically are saying, which by the way is 100% fine. There's a legion of people in the south that think auto racing is relevant too, and to them it is and that's all that matters.

You're not going to give up the Yankees despite baseball's rapid decline in relevance and the fact that the All Star Game's average viewer age was like 55 last year. That doesn't bode well for 2030. What is the threshold for relevance and who decides it? If media organizations are willing to dedicate a reporter to the sport, and cities are able to organize parades where upwards of a million people or more will attend (2.5 million for the Blackhawks in Chicago), then I'd say it's relevant enough.

The rest of the world does not care about American football. I find it laughable to call a Super Bowl a "world championship". But I'm still going to cheer for the Skins this fall. To each their own of course, but I just will never get why you need other people to tell you it's entertaining. If you've watched and personally decided this isn't for me, I don't find it fun a la @Mr. Sinister that is 100% understandable.

Agreed on all counts but bolded the most relevant bit. I really wish we'd stop calling the Super Bowl Champion the "World Champion." Who are we kidding here? At least Major League Baseball and the NBA have some presence outside of the continental United States. The NHL has the self-awareness to call the Caps the "Stanley Cup Champions" and they have way more claim to the title "World Champion" than any of the other "Big 4" leagues combined. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Scherzer could be an option, especially if he wins Cy Young and MVP this year.  He's still got a few more years left though.

Only counting his tenure in D.C., no.   Otherwise, it would obviously be Jordan. 

Scherzer would have to win 4 more CYAs to match Ovechkin's Richard total (7), and its possible Ovechkin isn't done winning those :-)   And he's never won an MVP, though admittedly pretty much impossible for a pitcher to do so. 

18 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Only counting his tenure in D.C., no.   Otherwise, it would obviously be Jordan. 

Scherzer would have to win 4 more CYAs to match Ovechkin's Richard total (7), and its possible Ovechkin isn't done winning those :-)   And he's never won an MVP, though admittedly pretty much impossible for a pitcher to do so. 

Scherzer would be close to Ovechkin if he had started his career here. He's literally over-performing a $200M contract past age 30. Incredible.

2 hours ago, thebluefood said:

If hockey - with its considerable, international reach - doesn't sit at the adult table, what does? As far as sheer numbers are concerned, sports like cricket, rugby, and especially soccer are way more relevant than any of the "Big 4." The Super Bowl ain't **** compared to the FIFA or ICC World Cups if we're talking about sheer numbers of people who give a **** about it.

Last thing re: hockey - in 1971 the NHL was 2.5% American; this past season the NHL was 27% American. And that sure as hell isn't because Canadians are less interested in playing.

Despite the NHL's failure to market its game to a broad audience, and its inability to accept that it needs to increase scoring ASAP, the game is without a doubt growing in America.

• Like 2