Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

19 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hes never been great or special. He was an above average pass rusher that feasted in RTs his whole career and padded stats when he’d get a bad or inexperienced RT. Most times tho he runs himself so far upfield he’s out of the play or he seems content to just stand there and dance with the linemen 

Truth, sadly.  I also think some of this is scheme.  We have no business playing the 4-3 in the NFC East with the running backs in this division.  Just wait until we play Elliot and Saquon.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh I think the defense played a role for sure.  They gave up 2 fairly easy scores early to put the team behind, then when they needed a stop late they allowed the Colts to march down the field, take up a bunch of time, and got the td that gave them an insurmountable 2 score lead.  

Zach Brown was fantastic last year, many of us thought that was a crucial re-sign.  I have no idea what has happened to him this year, Foster played pretty well yesterday.  Smith and Kerrigan are kind of killing them and the Bama Boys have not had the expected impact to date.  

When you punt on 4 if your first 5 possessions, you aren’t exactly helping your defense by keeping them on the field are you?  The offense was terrible.  I don’t even want to give any blame to the defense.  The offense scored 9 points!

11 hours ago, -JB- said:

When you punt on 4 if your first 5 possessions, you aren’t exactly helping your defense by keeping them on the field are you?  The offense was terrible.  I don’t even want to give any blame to the defense.  The offense scored 9 points!

Of course the offense was the big problem. But if you don't want to give any blame to the defense for allowing that long 4th quarter drive that put the lead into double digits you would be wrong.  They needed a stop, they gave up a touchdown.  

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Of course the offense was the big problem. But if you don't want to give any blame to the defense for allowing that long 4th quarter drive that put the lead into double digits you would be wrong.  They needed a stop, they gave up a touchdown.  

I agree with this. It's all situational football. Team game, but while the offense deserves the majority of blame, that TD drive from Indy was killer. 

There was 13 minutes left in the game, and Washington just kicked a FG to close it to 5 points at 14-9. 

Indy then proceeded to drive 13 plays, 75 yds, and knocked that 13 minutes left into 6 minutes left, as they scored a TD. 

Offense sucked worse though. ? 

I noticed we had Ziggy and Settle in the middle quite a few times and it looks as though the Colts took advantage of that and ran it right up the gut with success each time we used that personnel package.

Also, Ryan Kerrigan was not looking right, something is wrong with his hips or a leg, can't tell but he's favoring something.

Makes me sick to my stomach seeing what Khalil Mack is doing to opposing offenses... I was beating the drum since last year for Mack when I knew Gruden wanted nothing to do with him... Mack/Von Miller, game changers on defense... Our Defense, eh, decent on paper but slow as molasses and definitely not a defense you need to plan for. Our OLB's are far too slow

5 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Makes me sick to my stomach seeing what Khalil Mack is doing to opposing offenses... I was beating the drum since last year for Mack when I knew Gruden wanted nothing to do with him... Mack/Von Miller, game changers on defense... Our Defense, eh, decent on paper but slow as molasses and definitely not a defense you need to plan for. Our OLB's are far too slow

Two first rounders and 140 million is ridiculous, only elite qbs are worth that

Its a lot of money but that guy is playing lights out, the Bears have some serious talent and are playing pretty well, I think Mitch is gonna be the death of them but if they had a solid vet at QB they could be a contender.

Allen Robinson looks good, really wish he was wearing our uniform.

Matty I is single handily saving the 2016 draft for us. Right now it's looking pretty bad with Doctson underperforming for his draft position and us trading away Fuller.

But my goodness, hes got a knack for getting to the qb. I think has a 10 sack year in him from the DT position... which is absurd. I need to watch more film on him to see who he reminds me of, but hes a star already and people will know his name by the end of the year. 

On 9/18/2018 at 5:27 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Dude if you think the Redskins are gonna just give up only 14 points per game, you’re smoking.  The offense has to score more than 9 ****ing points and you know it.

Not sure if this goes here but am listening to Paulsen right now, he said a player talked to him and said did you watch Indy's game the first week?  Well if you did you'd think they would be slinging the ball all over the field in the air -- so they were surprised about their approach -- specifically gearing up for their ground game.

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Just curious, who does he supplant as a starter, and who do you cut to make room?

The DL is a solid rotation so the starter thing isn't an issue really. Hood could go for me. So could a few others. I think I'd have Hankins on the roster before Doctson these days, irrespective of position.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The DL is a solid rotation so the starter thing isn't an issue really. Hood could go for me. So could a few others. I think I'd have Hankins on the roster before Doctson these days, irrespective of position.

I could see that... 

My concern would be that we would only 2 true DEs on the team if we had Hankins and cut hood... Allen and Ioan... .and even those two play inside their fair share.  I'd be more pressed to find a DE with + pass rush ability at this point.  Hopefully Brantley can provide some of that.  We were such a good pass rush from the outside last year, and lacked the interior push... now we appear to be the opposite through two games.  This week is gonna be a test.  

As far as yards allowed, our defense currently ranks #1 in the NFL.  Yes, the Cardinals may be one of the worst teams in the league, and I doubt the colts make the playoffs, but our defense is not our problem.  But of course there is a lot of room for improvement, especially as our schedule ramps up and we start playing a lot tougher opponents.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like the defensive line could be poised for a breakout - Ionnaidis has played well, arguably Allen, Payne, too but far from dominant.  Seems like the issue is OLB pressure -- Kerrigan-Smith AWOL thus far.

We currently have 7 wide receivers on our active roster correct?  Doctson, Crowder Richardson, quick, Harris, Perriman & Floyd?  Once that position battle plays out and we know which one to cut, I would like to see them bring galette in for a workout.  His Twitter rants were ridiculous, but I don't feel it was that big of a deal to where he burned his bridge or anything like that. If he can help outside pressure, get him in here.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

As far as yards allowed, our defense currently ranks #1 in the NFL.  Yes, the Cardinals may be one of the worst teams in the league, and I doubt the colts make the playoffs, but our defense is not our problem.  But of course there is a lot of room for improvement, especially as our schedule ramps up and we start playing a lot tougher opponents.

We currently have 7 wide receivers on our active roster correct?  Doctson, Crowder Richardson, quick, Harris, Perriman & Floyd?  Once that position battle plays out and we know which one to cut, I would like to see them bring galette in for a workout.  His Twitter rants were ridiculous, but I don't feel it was that big of a deal to where he burned his bridge or anything like that. If he can help outside pressure, get him in here.

Agree with all of this.  Defense was far from perfect against the Colts but I thought they were at least OK -- they weren't clutch though -- 3rd downs, red zone, and that last TD was a game breaker.  But I am not hating on their performance.

I haven't paid mega attention to the D line but I think we've seen some good things.  We need more pass rush from the edges.   The defense to me has potential.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with all of this.  Defense was far from perfect against the Colts but I thought they were at least OK -- they weren't clutch though -- 3rd downs, red zone, and that last TD was a game breaker.  But I am not hating on their performance.

I haven't paid mega attention to the D line but I think we've seen some good things.  We need more pass rush from the edges.   The defense to me has potential.

The defense appears to be solid. My hope is they continue to make strides over the course of the year. Meaning, what we’re watching doesn’t represent the ceiling. 

I normally dont subject myself to this kind of talk, but man, trading for Mac to push unit over the top might’ve been a good move. You know, Jay and FO wanted to make it happen it was there’s for the taking (with The gruden connection). I was thinking, the Skins could’ve structured deal for him to take over Norman’s cap percentage the next few years (Not exact, but the taking over as the highest paid guy on the unit). 

Only a handful of truly negative plays stood out to me last week.  One was McPee not only not engaging his guy, but just standing there watching the play.  It was strange to say the least.  Hopefully he’s made some plays/shown something otherwise.  

I’d strongly consider bringing in Galette, and I’d even consider a signing him for more than 1 year (for multiple reasons).  

Archived