Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Jay simply cannot depend on Reed. It's time to sell high on him if he can get through a monster month.    Without a #1 at WR, a QBs best friend has never been more obvious.... his TE. Davis is no spring chicken but his YAC and moves make him look 10 years younger than he is. If he can stay healthy, I think Reed is expendable. The key may be: did Jay like what he saw with Sprinkle. With Paul gone, we need a body. You'd think a blocking TE was a dime a dozen.... 

Babbling TEs aside, I'd love to hear Josh added 10+ pounds. He is a finesse guy but needs to be able to man up and body corners to take the next step.  The 5050 jump ball is in his wheelhouse but we simply need more from a 1st rounder.  His development is key to our WR group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay simply cannot depend on Reed. It's time to sell high on him if he can get through a monster month.    Without a #1 at WR, a QBs best friend has never been more obvious.... his TE. Davis is no spring chicken but his YAC and moves make him look 10 years younger than he is. If he can stay healthy, I think Reed is expendable. The key may be: did Jay like what he saw with Sprinkle. With Paul gone, we need a body. You'd think a blocking TE was a dime a dozen.... 

Babbling TEs aside, I'd love to hear Josh added 10+ pounds. He is a finesse guy but needs to be able to man up and body corners to take the next step.  The 5050 jump ball is in his wheelhouse but we simply need more from a 1st rounder.  His development is key to our WR group.

Trade or release? It would likely be a release I assume cause who can take on his contract with his injury history? I'd roll the dice and keep him hoping he can stay healthy....that being said, if I were Reed I'd seriously consider retiring given his concussion history. I worry about him post football. He's one of my favorite Skins to watch, can dominate a game when he's healthy. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, kingdaddy said:

Trade or release? It would likely be a release I assume cause who can take on his contract with his injury history? I'd roll the dice and keep him hoping he can stay healthy....that being said, if I were Reed I'd seriously consider retiring given his concussion history. I worry about him post football. He's one of my favorite Skins to watch, can dominate a game when he's healthy. 

After we eat the guaranteed money, the risk is a bit less for a team trading for him.  Still somewhat of a high risk, high reward scenario though.  Two picks, 1 assured, 1 conditional might make sense.  Similar to our deal for Carrier, though hopefully better picks.  

Personally, I’d definitely keep him this year (especially after hearing they treated the root of the leg injury problem), the hope being he performs better and stays healthier this year, which ups his trade value.  Draft a TE this year and develop them to take over (along with Sprinkle).   

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

I am disappointed that the Skins let Ryan Grant get away.  I know Grant isn't a world beater but the guy ran very good routes and seemed to be coming on last season.  A WR like Grant that really knows the system and ran accurate routes would have been helpful for Smith.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I am disappointed that the Skins let Ryan Grant get away.  I know Grant isn't a world beater but the guy ran very good routes and seemed to be coming on last season.  A WR like Grant that really knows the system and ran accurate routes would have been helpful for Smith.

Eh, they'll get a comp pick for him (I think :)).

Grant is a decent to solid player, but a player like him is replaceable. I'm comfortable, for now, with Richardson, Docston, and Crowder. 

On 3/13/2018 at 5:47 PM, BurgundyBooger said:

We don't have a single #1 receiver here. Our WR corps consists of 2's and 3's. Our star tight end can't stay healthy and our pass catching RB is hurt. Alex Smith had young and explosive probowlers for weapons in KC, we got JAGs or injury proned players. He went from the penthouse to the outhouse by choosing to come here.

You stated it bluntly and maybe overstated the case, I'm not that familiar with the KC roster so I can't say he left the penthouse.  We really don't know what Doctson can do he may blossom into a #1 receiver, but it is a hope, not a conviction.  Reed, when he is healthy, is pro bowl quality but he's had so many injuries that he probably ought to retire.  Crowder is a good slot receiver, Chris Thompson and Davis are playmakers but as a group, I think it is suspect.  The OL can pass protect but are weak run blockers, I don't know what to think of our running backs since it appears the line can't open holes.  Alex Smith is going to have his hands full, I hope they help him in the draft.

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1

Doctson get a nod in this PFF "receivers by route tree" breakdown:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-top-nfl-receivers-by-route-in-2017

Here at Pro Football Focus, we keep track of everything that happens on a football field. Every player on every play of every game. Thanks to that, we’ve got a tremendous database just loaded with football goodness. We’re going to dive into that database and take a look at which receivers were the most productive last season on individual routes. The metric we’re using to rank these players is wide receiver rating. Simply: WR rating is the passer rating that a quarterback earns when throwing to that receiver.

Some context here, these are the numbers each receiver saw on the very basic of our route tree definitions. At PFF, we have multiple modifiers for routes that are broken off, combination routes and specialized routes by design like a ‘back-shoulder go.’ The numbers below are just based off the basic design and execution of each route, not inclusive of combination routes, specialized routes or modifiers.

Comebacks (min 5 targets) – League average wide receiver rating: 75.4

1. Adam ThielenMinnesota Vikings – 112.5 wide receiver rating

There were only 303 targets thrown to comeback routes last season, only 16 receivers saw at least five in their direction. Thielen led the group in terms of WR rating, and he was just one of three receivers to produce a rating of at least 100.0. The Vikings’ receiver hauled in 5-of-6 targets for 66 yards, with four of those five catches resulting in a first down.

2. Michael CrabtreeOakland Raiders – 104.2

3. Josh DoctsonWashington Redskins – 102.5

4. Brandin CooksNew England Patriots – 82.2

5. Mike EvansTampa Bay Buccaneers – 82.1

‘Go’ routes (min 10 targets) – League average wide receiver rating: 66.0

1. Tyreek HillKansas City Chiefs – 132.6 wide receiver rating

There were 888 ‘go’ routes thrown in 2017 with 25 receivers being targeted at least 10 times on the route. Hill was one of two receivers to produce a WR rating of at least 130.0 on flys. The speedy receiver hauled in 7-of-15 targets for 353 yards and three touchdowns, five of his eight incompletions were deemed uncatchable.

2. Marvin Jones Jr.Detroit Lions – 130.2

3. Josh DoctsonWashington Redskins – 128.5

4. Antonio BrownPittsburgh Steelers – 122.9

5. Robby AndersonNew York Jets – 107.6

• Like 8

On 3/22/2018 at 3:33 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We should consider Maclin if he has a bit left in the tank. Need some vet assurance in my opinion.

I like this idea..

On 3/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, Veryoldschool said:

Very, very well said...I realy thot Grant was very reliable...hope him and luck hook up nicely..

I realy hope to see Maurice Harris get more time...I'm sorry but that catch for a Td against Minnesota should get him more time..does he not run his routs good enough?..he seems to have good hands..good at positioning his body for the catch.

Edited by Taylorcooley1
Add content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I realy hope to see Maurice Harris get more time...I'm sorry but that catch for a Td against Minnesota should get him more time..does he not run his routs good enough?..he seems to have good hands..good at positioning his body for the catch.

The way Harris and Quick were handled (underused), and having Pryor and Doctson practicing the same position... weird decision making at receiver last year.  Not sure what to make of it.  Almost surprised me that Quick re-signed.  

• Like 1

I like our receiving corp but they've all got a lot to prove and none of them give us any reliabilty just yet. 

I love Reed, he's an absolute beast when healthy and I'd keep him on our roster even if he only played 12 games a season but that's becoming increasingly rare. 

I had high hopes of Crowder having a big year last year and it just never materialised. He didn't see the targets you thought he was going to get, especially when everyone else was injured. It's not like opposing teams were game planning for him.

Doctson has talent. He just needs to get more reliable on and off the field. I like the signing of Richardson, going after younger players that have shown a glimpse of their talent rather than aging vets who are on the decline.

Here's hoping a better run game will be the catalyst for a better offense.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 5:19 PM, Veryoldschool said:

Well, you know how Jay was in total infatuation with him, more than any of us, or anyone. So there had to be something super convincing become apparent, for them to part ways.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well, you know how Jay was in total infatuation with him, more than any of us, or anyone. So there had to be something super convincing become apparent, for them to part ways.

Fans don't break down videos of every play and understand what should've been done and wasn't, so while I am disappointed because Grant seem to become a larger contributor last year maybe he wasn't worth what the Raven's were willing to pay and the Colts ended up paying.

I wanted Albert Wilson from the Chiefs. He signed a 3 year deal with the Dolphins. Probably didn't have a need at the slot with Crowder and all, but still. I'm thinking it would have added another luxury for Alex knowing he has a guy that already understands how he plays.

Hayden Hurst, TE. Looks pretty good in the second round if we can get him. I know we have TEs. We just don't have TEs that can block in the run game, yet still be a threat in the pass game. So we're not fooling anyone.

Hayden looks like a bruiser. He played baseball so his ball skills are probably natural. I like this kid.

Now I know we need a NT. But I'd stick with the best player available throughout this draft. We can still look to pickup a NT by way of a player that's already established in the league if we don't take Payne in the 1st.

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Hayden Hurst, TE. Looks pretty good in the second round if we can get him. I know we have TEs. We just don't have TEs that can block in the run game, yet still be a threat in the pass game. So we're not fooling anyone.

Hayden looks like a bruiser. He played baseball so his ball skills are probably natural. I like this kid.

Now I know we need a NT. But I'd stick with the best player available throughout this draft. We can still look to pickup a NT by way of a player that's already established in the league if we don't take Payne in the 1st.

This is really underrated IMO.  If we have Davis and Reed in, either we struggle to run the ball, or pass and we’re light on pass pro (don’t want to leave Thompson in too much and I haven’t been impressed with our other backs blocking).  

Now, we have Sprinkle, but has he shown enough to take snaps from Vernon?  Maybe in short yardage, but otherwise I don’t know.  A well rounded TE could help a lot.  Adding that kind of guy helps Smith, as well as the run game, which means it helps with offensive balance.  Also allows us to treat Reed more as a receiver (which I think helps the talent there).  

Personally, I want to see 2 of DT/RB/G addressed in the 1st and 2nd, but if we either sign a DT, or trade back and gain a 2nd or 3rd, I’d be happy to go TE then.  

Edited by skinny21

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We need another one in. We need to pick up a vet WR to add some insurance to the group. Couple of knocks away from it being completely cleaned out again.

Probably so.  What I think we really need is a good receiver.  I’m fine with Harris and Quick as the backups, but I see Doctson and Richardson as both #2 types (though there’s at least some hope they become something more).  Really wish we had more ammo this draft (or fewer glaring needs)... I’d be happy to take a chance on Gallup, St. Brown or Washington, for example.  

I’m assuming we’ll take a late round guy to compete with Robert Davis and bolster the back end.  I’d also take a close look at receivers cut from teams with a good corp - guys with a year under their belt and therefore a slightly smaller learning curve.  

Wish we had hung hung onto Matt Hazel.  Maybe we’ll find another version of him - a guy that flashes in TC. 

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1