Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins, Alex Smith

Burgold

I'm actually fairly content with this considering it was evident that Cousins didn't want to be here and we had no back up plan.  This is better than Colt McCoy, better than Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Keenum, and beat up Bradford.  KC left the Skins before the season even ended.  Smith is savvy, doesn't make mistakes, can make plays with his feet, wins games, and I think he will fit in well with Gruden.  He's not the answer for this franchise but he is a good bridge between now and the next franchise QB (I know I'm on crazy pills if Skins find a franchise QB in 2-3 years?!).  But theoretically its true.

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Anybody know if/when he will have a press conference for the Redskins? Love to hear what he has to say.

Well the trade isn’t “official” until March 14th, so my guess is probably the week that free agency starts? ??‍♂️ I was wondering the same thing last night 

I do not particularly care about the sidestep from Cousins to Smith. It was a desperate move by an incompetent suck up, and probably an attempt to get a few digs in at Cousins. That being said, I do not expect much from Smith. He will find he has far fewer weapons here and when he sucks, I will, of course, curse and berate his existence. I will do this out of a love/hate relationship with the Washington Redskins. I currently feel bad for Alex Smith. I will not feel bad for him in the future. I hope he has thick skin. 

18 minutes ago, Hunter_R said:

I do not particularly care about the sidestep from Cousins to Smith. It was a desperate move by an incompetent suck up, and probably an attempt to get a few digs in at Cousins. That being said, I do not expect much from Smith. He will find he has far fewer weapons here and when he sucks, I will, of course, curse and berate his existence. I will do this out of a love/hate relationship with the Washington Redskins. I currently feel bad for Alex Smith. I will not feel bad for him in the future. I hope he has thick skin. 

This place is a graveyard filled with the mangled corpses of vanquished warriors.

He is just fresh meat, fattened up in KC. The writers around here can probably already smell that hickory bbq

4 hours ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I’m done. This is the worse organization from top to bottom.  Adios

But..but..but.. Alex Smith averages 10+ wins a season and goes to the playoffs almost every year. Surely he can do the same thing on this glorious Redskins team. :rofl89:

Wait I am confused now...

what is exactly the contract signed????

i thought this was a 4-5 extension so his base should stay the same for next year...  also I thought that $71M is only guaranteed for injury... it isn’t really the same as Signing Bonus...  I though I heard this one the radio...

anyone got hit actual details???

from my understanding, the contract we got Smith for is FAR less than what it would have cost to sign Cousin this offseason...

We get a less mistake prone QB and don't have to think about it for 3 years, don't have to heavily invest in the position and save some money.

If QB is competent we can focus on the rest of the team and in a couple years we should be a great team.

I'm fine with this. It's been a complete debacle for years. Now it isnt. Good.

2 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Yeah, I got in a hurry and was thinking of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Yeah, happens to everyone. There is a path via the transition, it's just a convoluted one, imo. The Smith trade is like cart before horse with regard to Cousins' existing trade value.  

47 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Yeah, happens to everyone. There is a path via the transition, it's just a convoluted one, imo. The Smith trade is like cart before horse with regard to Cousins' existing trade value.  

At this point, fingers crossed we can work out a deal with someone (Denver?) and get something for Kirk. Like you said, we lost leverage (as usual). 

Is this the safe place to go if you’re actually ok with this deal? I’ve talked to a bunch of my football buddies who aren’t skins fans and they think it’s a great deal. 

Welcome to the team Alex, if you haven’t watched the special on him and his charity work, go find it. As a new foster father, I really enjoyed learning about his charity. 

Smith is a better qb, not a crazy deal and the comp was tough but not insane. Fuller was really good last year, but we don’t have some gaping hole at corner. If colt McCoy is your qb you have a gaping hole at the most important position. 

Cousins wasn’t coming back, period. So to compare him in this is a waste of time. That ship sailed and while there should have been better efforts to sign him earlier, I get the hesitation . The playoff loss, failing to make the playoffs last year and then not getting the team to 8-8 with millions on the line this year.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Smith is a better qb, not a crazy deal and the comp was tough but not insane. Fuller was really good last year, but we don’t have some gaping hole at corner.

Smith is not a better QB.  He's had a great coach, good running game, good offensive line, and good WR's in addition to being in the right system which Andy Reid created.  It's similar to what Jim Harbaugh did while the coach of the 49ers.  Not to mention a really good defense in KC.  As for the gaping hole at CB I have a feeling that Breeland won't return and based on statements by Swearinger and Norman I have doubts of their commitment to this circus as well.  Norman said he signed with the Redskins to win a championship and Swearinger is openly bashing the team on twitter.  

Is this the safe place to go if you’re actually ok with this deal? I’ve talked to a bunch of my football buddies who aren’t skins fans and they think it’s a great deal. 

Welcome to the team Alex, if you haven’t watched the special on him and his charity work, go find it. As a new foster father, I really enjoyed learning about his charity. 

LOL, yes it's always a safe space here (for the most part).  I'm just frustrated and see it differently.  As for his charity work; that's awesome!  Congrats on fostering, that is extremely kind and generous of your family. :)

I just watched it. That's a cause close to my heart - my parents both work with foster kids so I understand that world as much as anyone can from an outsider perspective. I've had enough of hearing about what a high character guy Cousins is - he pushed a ref at a charity football game for god's sake. THIS is what a real high character QB looks like... fantastic cause and so nice to see someone paying attention to kids who are overlooked far too often by society. I didn't know about the foundation so thanks for highlighting it - I love this dude already.

I was already sold on the trade (although I still don't like giving up Fuller) because Smith is a good QB and I'm sick of the Cousins drama and people eating up his victim narrative. 

Smith is going to become a big part of this community on and off the field.

Archived