Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Rams Prediction Thread: Possible Gauntlet March?

skins island connection

Lambs - 14

Zebra assists - 7

Skins - 24

Final - Redskins 24, Rams 21

It seems that every time we face a former coach we lose. I can't think of a time in recent history when we've won. Skins turn it around this time and beat Boy Wonder. The Rams played a dreadful Colts team, scored two TD's on D and settled for three field goals. If Kirk calms down, doesn't throw picks and the Oline shows up for once, we should be able to move the ball and score. 

On 9/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, thebeermonkey said:

We'll get beat unless we can run the ball. And we can't. 

That is the problem, since we couldn't run against the Eagles we can't run against this DL. Our only hope is Cousins can settle down throw some good balls and the receivers don't drop them.  Now on the D side of things, I hope we can frustrate Goff, he is not that good...yet.

Rams 27

Redskins 20

Only because every time I pick us we lose. :)

Sheehan I think had a good description of this game being the perfect storm in a way for Jay.  He's going against his arguably overhyped apprentice.  And he is up against the defensive coordinator who he shot down who wanted a job who is in the perfect spot to exact revenge.    But that goes both ways.  The Redskins win its then vindication for Jay.    It's one of the most interesting narratives I think in a long time for game 2 of the season.  And if they lose, will things stay cool or do we got full fledged panic. 

I picked the Redskins but I think the game is going to be a grind and could go either way.   I was listening to Cooley this morning who seems to think he has almost a complete read on the Rams offense because he knows McVay so well.   When the tight end is lined up tight to the right tackle, they are running the ball.  If the wide receivers are lined up wide = no play action.  He likes to line up the receivers tight and stack them together in order to force the secondary to direct each other where the QB can see if the defense is doubling up, etc.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:46 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

31-21 Redskins.  When you least expect it, expect it.  We weren't horrid last week (final score not representative of the game), and I trust that KC will be better. I hope Doctson practices all week, and hard enough, to elicit a pass from Grudens playbook.  Hope Gruden will let Perine have a carry or two. He hasn't missed practice or anything so let him out of your personal doghouse Jay.  Sorry....gotta play the best players & am sure Gruden sees it better than me....but give them a chance coach.  Hell, KC & Gruden are a perfect match; OCD, but in different phylum's.  Hail

I agree with your "when you least expect it, expect it" mentality, but couldn't disagree more with the final score of the Eagles game not being representative of the game.

I think the only reason both teams weren't playing scrubs in the 4th quarter was because the Eagles looked just as shaky as we did. Had they played up to their potential at all, I think we lose that game by 21 points or more. I actually wasn't impressed with Wentz outside of a couple very spectacular plays. When he was just in their offense he was pretty inaccurate himself (missed some easy throws, threw another one (technically a lateral) that resulted in a lost fumble, etc.). They ran the ball horribly and I can't believe that was us (maybe I'll be proven wrong). 

Anyway, my prediction is 27-16 Rams and full meltdown mode in DC. 

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Anyway, my prediction is 27-16 Rams and full meltdown mode in DC. 

I think they win a squeaker but its perfectly feasible for me to see a loss.  But I agree a full meltdown if it happens.  I think its already borderline meltdown now already with some -- I could just imagine 2 loses in a row.

So many subplots if they lose:  McVay versus Jay.  McVay's loss felt large.  Letting receivers go a mistake?  Kirk versus Goff.  Kirk versus Bruce.  Jay versus Wade.  It would be like steroids for the naysayers on any of these points to go wild with negativity.   I said this before the season.  I think they can survive a 1-1 start.  Not sure about 0-2 with this schedule but I won't be jumping ship either.

I actually feel better about the Raiders game than this one.  I hate the subplot of Wade exacting revenge.  I like Jay but no one is without fault.  One of the things I didn't like about Jay after season one is turning down Wade.  To Jay's credit he tried to rectify that this off season to no avail.  And if there is anything to Wade's book, Jay initially turned him down dismissively where Wade felt disrespected.

So I don't love the combination of going against a head coach who probably knows Kirk and the rest of the offensive's strengths and weaknesses like the back of his hand coupled with a genius defensive coordinator with a load of talent bent on revenge. 

6 hours ago, skinfan57 said:

Lambs - 14

Zebra assists - 7

Skins - 24

Final - Redskins 24, Rams 21

Won't be any zebra assists for the Rams in this game. Boger is consistently bad, regardless of team. And coaches that know how to scout should realize that this crew tosses a lot of laundry for illegal hands/pass interference. You want to move the ball down the field, toss it up in tight man coverage. In the words of ol' Red Cashion, "First daaaaaaaaaan". Defense better put the brakes on along the sidelines, too. Boger loves the personal foul calls. All of this goes for both teams.

This game will be won or lost based on competent coaching, necessary in-game adjustments, and putting the best players on the field to help your team win. Hence, I'm hanging my head pessimistically.

1 hour ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I feel the biggest IDIOT. Booked tickets in July and just looked at the prices for my section, did not know crowd were so low!

Opps. Redskins fans out west get down there sunday please!!

I will be there with about 10 others.  Pre game in the  tail gate field.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

On another note, I'm not liking the Rams going to the Blue and White helmet, but having their modern jersey and pants with blue, white and gold.  The gold looks out of place.  They look like a modern team who lost their helmets and "found" these old helmet lying around.

Totally agree. Made a similar comment last week. The combo of the old and new looks so stupid.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they win a squeaker but its perfectly feasible for me to see a loss.  But I agree a full meltdown if it happens.  I think its already borderline meltdown now already with some -- I could just imagine 2 loses in a row.

So many subplots if they lose:  McVay versus Jay.  McVay's loss felt large.  Letting receivers go a mistake?  Kirk versus Goff.  Kirk versus Bruce.  Jay versus Wade.  It would be like steroids for the naysayers on any of these points to go wild with negativity.   I said this before the season.  I think they can survive a 1-1 start.  Not sure about 0-2 with this schedule but I won't be jumping ship either.

I actually feel better about the Raiders game than this one.  I hate the subplot of Wade exacting revenge.  I like Jay but no one is without fault.  One of the things I didn't like about Jay after season one is turning down Wade.  To Jay's credit he tried to rectify that this off season to no avail.  And if there is anything to Wade's book, Jay initially turned him down dismissively where Wade felt disrespected.

So I don't love the combination of going against a head coach who probably knows Kirk and the rest of the offensive's strengths and weaknesses like the back of his hand coupled with a genius defensive coordinator with a load of talent bent on revenge. 

I really think the "subplots" here are being dramatized to absurd levels. First of all, the only guy that really has any true "revenge" factor on the Rams is the ONE guy no one in this thread has mentioned: Joe Barry. He is the Rams assistant head/coach and LB coach. And he's the one who got fired.

How come no one is talking about how Barry will have his LB's extra fired up and how he knows the tendencies of our defensive players?

Guys move from team to team A LOT in the NFL. A lot of guys interview for jobs and don't get them. I imagine most of them are disappointed or even angry about it and feel like the team that interviewed them and passed made a mistake. I'm sure they'd all like to win when facing that team again.

And isn't Wade's son on our staff? How come no one is talking about how he can give Jay inside info on his Dad's schemes and tendencies? I'd like to think that Wade shared some of his knowledge and philosophies with his son over the years, no?

I just think we are really, really reaching here.

17 minutes ago, kleese said:

How come no one is talking about how Barry will have his LB's extra fired up and how he knows the tendencies of our defensive players?

Probably because nobody thinks Barry can coach. I kid, I  kid, Kleese.

Yeah, I totally agree with the overblown narratives about knowing the other guy and the other guy's system. Just gives the scribes something to write about. I'll be looking closely at how Boy Wonder utilizes that roster on Sunday and how much Goff spreads the ball around to different receivers; he was like blackjack dealer in a crowded pool hall last week. Hopefully we can get some pressure on him and make him look like last year's Goff.

31 minutes ago, kleese said:

I really think the "subplots" here are being dramatized to absurd levels.

I agree with this personally.  But I don't agree that it will play out that way for many on the board (judging by the reaction to last week), talk radio, media.  So I think drama will be in the air if they lose.  Maybe not from you.  Certainly not for me.  But I think there will be plenty of it, nonetheless. 

He's not running their defense. If he were I'd agree.  I think a position coordinator is ho hum narrative wise.   

Guys move from team to team A LOT in the NFL. A lot of guys interview for jobs and don't get them. I imagine most of them are disappointed or even angry about it and feel like the team that interviewed them and passed made a mistake. I'm sure they'd all like to win when facing that team again.

Sure.  But Wade actually thought enough of the incident to refer to it in his book.   I am sure he'd get a kick out of winning.   I don't think its something to panic over.  But this story has some traction leading into this game for a reason.

I just think we are really, really reaching here.

I hope we don't find out if these plots are a reach.  But if they lose, I'd put money that we will be hearing about some of those narratives considering we are already hearing them now.   Like I said and I think Sheehan put it well this morning -- these plots are a double edge sword, so if the Redskins win, the narrative is juicer in a good way for Jay.

As for me personally, its just a game.  I'm not in the sky is falling crowd.  But judging the reaction on the board and talk radio from last week's loss -- the idea that everyone will be calm after another loss and ignore these subplot narratives -- I wish -- but I really doubt it.  

The game begins with the Rams receiving. Lots of 3-and-out and 1 or 2 first down drives are traded, and the 2nd quarter begins with the score tied at zero. The Rams manage to piece together a long drive when the Skins' D just can't seem to stop them on third down, capped by a 37 yard rushing TD on 3rd and 3. At halftime, it's Rams 7 Redskins 0.

The Skins receive, and Kirk leads a long drive into the red zone, where we stall. FG makes it 7-3. After that, there are several ineffective drives from both teams, until the Rams move the ball into scoring range, eventually settling for a field goal. Rams 10 Redskins 3 at the end of Q3. On the next drive the Skins put together another sustained effort, moving the ball from their own 10 to first and goal. When 3 successive runs are unable to punch the ball through, they settle for another field goal. 10-6 Rams. On the next drive the Rams march down the field with authority and score a nice TD on a play-action pass that fools everyone. 17-6 Rams. After a Skins 3 and out, the Rams take over again. They begin what looks like another sustained drive only to have Bashaud Breeland intercept Goff for a TD. 17-13 Rams. Now that the momentum has changed, the Skins' D holds the Rams to a 3 and out, and the O takes over in good field position. Looking confident, Cousins connects with Pryor, Reed and Crowder to move the Skins down the field quickly. They stall in the red zone, missing a fade pass, a play action and a 3rd down draw. Nothing works, and with 1:24 left they have to decide whether to go all-in on one final play, or take the FG and try the onside kick. They take the field goal. 17-16 Rams. The Skins recover the onside kick! The first play is a long completion to Pryor and things are looking pretty good until Thompson fumbles after a short reception that would have given the Skins another first down, and the fumble is recovered by the Rams, who kneel out the clock.

Final Rams 17 Redskins 16.

2 hours ago, kleese said:

Well, he couldn't get OUR LBers fired up, so I'm not worried about that. :)

The Rams have played us hard, right up to and sometimes just past the whistle; its when OUR guys get ticked about it and retaliate. I hope Gruden lets the players know to keep their cool because they will try anything and everything to get our guys penalized or DQ'd.

I hope its a good, clean game, no post-whistle activities, but I'm not betting on it. And the long trip out there could catch up to some guys.

5 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Won't be any zebra assists for the Rams in this game.

I threw zebras in for laughs. I should have used the sarcasm symbol.

Seriously though, we have to admit that officiating in the NFL has gotten out of hand. There's too many poorly written rules and the calls on the field can vary from crew to crew and game to game. We've had bad calls go our way and we've had them go against us. Every team has to deal with it.

It's the worst I've ever seen it. I hope they do make the switch to full-time officials......an entire crew that's full-time. I miss the days when a lineman or back judge would make an iffy call, and the ref would call him out on it and pick up the flag. Good officials aren't afraid to do that. Some officials wearing the white hat today are intimidated by members of their crew, and the latter walk all over them. The league has started cycling out the bad apples; there are quite a few still left, unfortunately.

Archived