Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

22 minutes ago, PotomacGator said:

They're missing tackles and dropping INTs. We've seen this before. Not sure I love this identity.

In their... defense... those weren't easy Ints (Breeland's in the endzone and Norman's on the bomb would have been circus-like catches), and the missed tackles were mostly behind the LOS.  

Thought the corners had a heck of a game, especially considering the pressure they were under.  Was not impressed with the safety play though.  

Bummed for Galette that his sack was called back by a penalty (it was just one, right?  Or did I miss a 2nd one?).  

38 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

While I don't want to see Cousins running like a lunatic, what I liked about it was it reflected a desire to win. He went head first for the first down marker every time. Good leadership by example, if a little suicidal.

He could have slid and still earned the first down...

PFF grades sort of sum up what we know already - awful showing from the safeties and really poor showing from Cousins, Moses and Scherff.  

They 'credit' Moses with 3 sacks... and yet still graded him significantly higher than Scherff.  Ouch.  Has a reporter asked about Scherff yet?  Has to be something going on there.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-philadelphia-eagles-30-washington-redskins-17

52 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

PFF grades sort of sum up what we know already - awful showing from the safeties and really poor showing from Cousins, Moses and Scherff.  

They 'credit' Moses with 3 sacks... and yet still graded him significantly higher than Scherff.  Ouch.  Has a reporter asked about Scherff yet?  Has to be something going on there.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-philadelphia-eagles-30-washington-redskins-17

Scherff has been a disappointment to be honest. When we drafted him, people kept saying he will bring toughness attitude with him. He was a mauler. I was expecting Trent 2.0 but I have been disappointed. He's "alright" but way softer than presented. Seems to get lost and pushed back a ton. Maybe he's not fast or strong enough to handle NFL players like he did in NCAA 

We don't run the ball.

Scherff definitely is a mauler that brings toughness, but you have to let him go forward and hit some people, gotta call some runs if even for that reason.

On a couple running plays I definitely noticed Scherff mauling some mofos over. He was obviously struggling in pass protection.

The whole ride side was a sieve, while our left side was kinda useless on our running plays. Line didn't play that well against Philly. 

Brandon Sherff was a pro bowler last year. Him and Moses had a bad game, that's it for now. They played the Eagles who have one of the best front sevens in the league and did a great job dialing pressure at the right time and the right way. 

They will meet some even better d-lines in the next 3 weeks, so let's wait and see. 

Finally got to watch the game off my DVR today.

1. Terrible game obviously, but not as bad as I thought. I can see some positives for sure.

2. Lots of missed INTs. Norman, Breeland and Fuller should have had those. 

3. Kerrigan played well.

4. Good to see Gallette and Ryan Anderson out there.

5. Corners played well. But we still give up too many 3rd and long plays.

6. Near the end of 3rd, I thought we should have gotten a pass interference call on the Eagles corner who held Pryor in the end zone.

7. Everyone just seems off. Which is better than just sucking because hopefully they can snap out of it and continue moving forward.

8. The offensive line is pretty bad. Either physical they struggle when its one on one or can't communicate well when called upon to switch blocking assignments.

9. The team is way decent enough to win. Kirk needs to play better, see the field and make plays when there is none to be had but at the same time, guys can't be dropping passes.

10. Chris Thompson was good. So too was Grant and Pryor.

11. Biggest reason why we lost IMO was Kirk. He just wasn't very good.

5 hours ago, dyst said:

Finally got to watch the game off my DVR today.

1. Terrible game obviously, but not as bad as I thought. I can see some positives for sure.

2. Lots of missed INTs. Norman, Breeland and Fuller should have had those. 

3. Kerrigan played well.

4. Good to see Gallette and Ryan Anderson out there.

5. Corners played well. But we still give up too many 3rd and long plays.

6. Near the end of 3rd, I thought we should have gotten a pass interference call on the Eagles corner who held Pryor in the end zone.

7. Everyone just seems off. Which is better than just sucking because hopefully they can snap out of it and continue moving forward.

8. The offensive line is pretty bad. Either physical they struggle when its one on one or can't communicate well when called upon to switch blocking assignments.

9. The team is way decent enough to win. Kirk needs to play better, see the field and make plays when there is none to be had but at the same time, guys can't be dropping passes.

10. Chris Thompson was good. So too was Grant and Pryor.

11. Biggest reason why we lost IMO was Kirk. He just wasn't very good.

Pryor?  Which game did you watch again?

I liked Fuller a lot.  But Lordy Philly seemed to have guys wide open all day in the middle of the field.  Same old safety problems and I never felt Cravens was the answer.

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I liked Fuller a lot.  But Lordy Philly seemed to have guys wide open all day in the middle of the field.  Same old safety problems and I never felt Cravens was the answer.

With Pryor, my opinion of him is always based on the fact that he was a QB prior to last year. He's not a real WR yet, hopefully he will be but he's still learning.

Imagine if Kirk stopped being a QB and next year decides to play WR. He would be no where near as good as Pryor making that transistion.

I agree, he could have played better but 6 for 66 or whatever he had is decent for a QB>WR. No excuses though, he can't drop passes like he did.

55 minutes ago, dyst said:

With Pryor, my opinion of him is always based on the fact that he was a QB prior to last year. He's not a real WR yet, hopefully he will be but he's still learning.

Imagine if Kirk stopped being a QB and next year decides to play WR. He would be no where near as good as Pryor making that transistion.

I agree, he could have played better but 6 for 66 or whatever he had is decent for a QB>WR. No excuses though, he can't drop passes like he did.

I was fine with the signing.  I figured anyone that can put up numbers in Cleveland would fine. I saw Pryor, the continued improvement of Crowder, Reed/Davis and possibly Doctson and didn't really see WR as any problem what so ever.  But the drops didn't just start, we saw them in preseaon. The way he ran that in route, with the rounded edges, was very very concerning. 

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The way he ran that in route, with the rounded edges, was very very concerning. 

Yeah, the rounded edges are going to get the QB in trouble, and he's in enough trouble as it is.  The only thing saving him is his big frame.

Its pretty easy to see why he didn't get the deal he expected to get.  It's absolutely possible that he will improve but he's further from a finished product than I assumed.

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think Pryor is being mis-cast by the fan base. People assume Pryor will be in the DJax role where they expect the 1-3 big plays a game. The truth is that he's playing in the Garcon role. This will be tough because Garcon's role required precise route running and tough catches to be made. With Pryor only being a WR for a shorter period of time that's a fairly large ask of a guy who's still a project. 

For the safety piece our savor, D.J.Swearinger, is on his 4th NFL team going into his 6th NFL season. With the coverage and run responsibilities needed a good safety is tough to find, so IMO if he was even 'above average' Houston, Tampa or Arizona would not have given up on him. If you go back to his draft profile he's great in run support, but fairly easily fooled in coverage. Personally I look at him like LaRon Laundry. He will do best when in the box operating with limited deep responsibilities. Add him with Everett, who is a fairly stiff hipped, sure tackling, undersized SS and coverage will be a problem. Maybe the best indication of this was the Zach Ertz stat line. Targeted 8 times for 8 catches, 93 yards. Many of those were big 3rd down conversions.

The safety issue is partially by design. Someone can say Cravens would have helped, but he's a LB/SS hybrid who was getting ready to finally step into the SS role. How much high end deep coverage should we expect of a player with that background?  

I have to say I'm proud of the Redskins fans for not putting too much emphasis on the bizarre non-reversal of the fumble that ended the game. I mean that was an incomplete pass to most everyone, and there was still time for Kirk to go down and win the game. So we could be blaming the refs more.  But I like how we are being realistic, noting that the better team won and that there was little chance that Kirk would have actually won that game. 

I am ****ing pissed about that bull**** ****ing incorrect review. **** them. There are only 16 ****ing games and they cut that one ****ing short, screwing over all the fans at the game, who were there for that potential magical game winning drive. **** em all and the nasty ****ing birds fans that flew south and tried to **** on our  stadium.

Maybe Doctson getting 20 snaps was a sign. That had to be some sort of durability record. I think Jay decides to feature different players different weeks. Anyone surprised who was featured week 1 now that he is calling plays?

I crashed and burned before game time thinking Josh would have a big game, but it was Grant's day.  I cannot see that continuing. Crowder having 6 off  games in a row, perhaps teams are keying on him, or Jay expects them to and is going elsewhere.  Some day soon, dare I think Josh or Crowder will need to have a big game for our offense to get on track. Reed is limping, Pryor is raw, we need someone to grab the bull by the horns put their foot down and lead our offense.

That foot is not me.

22 hours ago, skinny21 said:

In their... defense... those weren't easy Ints (Breeland's in the endzone and Norman's on the bomb would have been circus-like catches), and the missed tackles were mostly behind the LOS.  

Thought the corners had a heck of a game, especially considering the pressure they were under.  Was not impressed with the safety play though.  

Bummed for Galette that his sack was called back by a penalty (it was just one, right?  Or did I miss a 2nd one?).  

Agree with you on this, but just one thing, if you watch a couple of the plays where the Eagles tried to run quick screens to the outside (to Sproles I think) the safety (Everett on one play at least) reacted brilliantly, read it exactly, and shut down the play. It looked to me like the guys had been coached to watch out for those and jump on them quickly. I thought the defence looked relatively well prepared, the offence not so much.

9 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have to say I'm proud of the Redskins fans for not putting too much emphasis on the bizarre non-reversal of the fumble that ended the game. I mean that was an incomplete pass to most everyone, and there was still time for Kirk to go down and win the game. So we could be blaming the refs more.  But I like how we are being realistic, noting that the better team won and that there was little chance that Kirk would have actually won that game. 

Got to agree with you there. I think all in all, over the years the average Redskins fan has become much more intelligent and more of a realist than ever before. 

In years past many would have been hung up on that missed call blaming the refs but now it seems guys are much more likely to discuss fixing the root of the issues.

20 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, the rounded edges are going to get the QB in trouble, and he's in enough trouble as it is.  The only thing saving him is his big frame.

Its pretty easy to see why he didn't get the deal he expected to get.  It's absolutely possible that he will improve but he's further from a finished product than I assumed.

Pryor runs good enough routes right now to be successful with his physical attributes.... he just needs to catch the ball... if Pryor doesn't drop the 3 very catchable balls then we might be having a different conversations...   

6 hours ago, dyst said:

Got to agree with you there. I think all in all, over the years the average Redskins fan has become much more intelligent and more of a realist than ever before. 

In years past many would have been hung up on that missed call blaming the refs but now it seems guys are much more likely to discuss fixing the root of the issues.

I'm also a bit surprised at ES posters since I started posting regularly this year.  I registered a long time ago but didn't like the place.  Way too many homers who would try to argue that Todd Collins could lead us to the Super Bowl based on a few good games.  Now the crowd appears way more balanced and fair.

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm also a bit surprised at ES posters since I started posting regularly this year.  I registered a long time ago but didn't like the place.  Way too many homers who would try to argue that Todd Collins could lead us to the Super Bowl based on a few good games.  Now the crowd appears way more balanced and fair.

Years of mediocrity will beat the homerism out of anyone.

40 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Years of mediocrity will beat the homerism out of anyone.

I think there is a lot to this.  For 20 years ('72-'92) I entered every season thinking my team could compete, now I go in expecting the worst.  The only silver lining is the owner cares more than I do and this bothers him a whole lot more.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Archived