Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The history of guys who have the same heart condition as him isn't good.  Lotuleilei and Fairley never lived up to the potential t hey demonstrated at the college level.  They were even more dominant players than Hurst was.  I don't think it's coincidence either.  I think the condition is debilitating.

Is it the same condition the Raiders 1st round DB from a couple years ago had? Hayden, I think? 

I never get drafts.  From any team.  I like the Guice pick, I am cool wit Payne, but the Tackle in the third when we need a CB, WR, LG, WAY above that.  There is ZERO and I mean ZERO way they don't have one damn guy they don't like at that pick.  You take a chance anyway, may as well see if a CB works out there.  Besides getting a Tackle that will ride the bench and be average at best and hardly every play during the regular season.  

Lot's of people in these draft rooms that overthink and just do strange stuff that is nearly beyond comprehension.  That is one position we didn't need to pick at all.  My guess is there is some kind of tie with family that knows a guy type of thing.  I'm serious too, it probably is like that.  Just random.  

Anyway, least we got 2 I think will be good.  Looking forward to those 2 OLB's that will be off the team in three to four years.  yay....  I'll just skip tomorrow, randomness will abound.  Bruce must have snuck in for the tackle since he saw him at an IHOP in Tampa.  Bruce's daddy would call him a female organ.  LOL

4 minutes ago, mudpig said:

I never get drafts.  From any team.  I like the Guice pick, I am cool wit Payne, but the Tackle in the third when we need a CB, WR, LG, WAY above that.  There is ZERO and I mean ZERO way they don't have one damn guy they don't like at that pick.  You take a chance anyway, may as well see if a CB works out there.  Besides getting a Tackle that will ride the bench and be average at best and hardly every play during the regular season.  

Lot's of people in these draft rooms that overthink and just do strange stuff that is nearly beyond comprehension.  That is one position we didn't need to pick at all.  My guess is there is some kind of tie with family that knows a guy type of thing.  I'm serious too, it probably is like that.  Just random.  

Anyway, least we got 2 I think will be good.  Looking forward to those 2 OLB's that will be off the team in three to four years.  yay....  I'll just skip tomorrow, randomness will abound.  Bruce must have snuck in for the tackle since he saw him at an IHOP in Tampa.  Bruce's daddy would call him a female organ.  LOL

this pick potentially allows our LG to play the position without destroying depth.  And we have young DB and WRs to fill into those slots

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wouldn't it be something if we drafted DaShawn Hand and just really tried to recreate that 2016 Crimson Tide defensive front?  Steal their mojo.

Not a huge Hand fan, but the pickings are getting slimmer now.

yeah, we're not likely to add anymore DL.  With Allen and Ionnaddis as two of our DE we only need two more DE.  Anthony Lainier has played well for us.  At his cost Stacy McGee will probably have to play great just to stay on the team.

3 minutes ago, carex said:

yeah, we're not likely to add anymore DL.  With Allen and Ionnaddis as two of our DE we only need two more DE.  Anthony Lainier has played well for us.  At his cost Stacy McGee will probably have to play great just to stay on the team.

Maybe so, but if they are the BPA?  We're getting to the point in the draft where Hand could be the BPA for us.

Your DL rotation can't really be too deep, nor too competitive.  And if picking Hand pushed McGee off the roster, I wouldn't cry.

4 minutes ago, mudpig said:

So when I look at what Callahan did with the brokebacks, he picked up guys that played tackle in college and converted them to guard. That how you get the biggest line in the NFL. They started the year before by picking up Brandon and converting him to the guard spot. See how that turned out? Not bad. Geron may not translate to playing the tackle position in the NFL right now. But he may be a mauler at guard!  Also a lot of people (including Gruden) are talking about moving Ty to guard. Not matter.....if you have the mindset that the Redskins are drafting a linemen and not a specific spot, you may find this to be a good pick. And like I've said in the past, as much as I like Trent, he's one hot box session away from being out for a while. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Maybe so, but if they are the BPA?  We're getting to the point in the draft where Hand could be the BPA for us.

Your DL rotation can't really be too deep, nor too competitive.  And if picking Hand pushed McGee off the roster, I wouldn't cry.

I think AJ Francis or Ziggy Hood pushes him off the roster at this point

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You can never have too many big uglys

5 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

So when I look at what Callahan did with the brokebacks, he picked up guys that played tackle in college and converted them to guard. That how you get the biggest line in the NFL. They started the year before by picking up Brandon and converting him to the guard spot. See how that turned out? Not bad. Geron may not translate to playing the tackle position in the NFL right now. But he may be a mauler at guard!  Also a lot of people (including Gruden) are talking about moving Ty to guard. Not matter.....if you have the mindset that the Redskins are drafting a linemen and not a specific spot, you may find this to be a good pick. And like I've said in the past, as much as I like Trent, he's one hot box session away from being out for a while. 

Okay that may make sense, if they do that.  Still random to me though.  

2 minutes ago, mudpig said:

I'd assume so.  Guessing they meet with hundreds of players I would think anyway.  

Teams are limited to 30 players who they can bring into their facility for a visit pre draft. They can talk to others at the combine, pro days and during the season in scouting visits of course.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Teams are limited to 30 players who they can bring into their facility for a visit pre draft. They can talk to others at the combine, pro days and during the season in scouting visits of course.

so im a bit off?  lol

I think Christian just needs a year or so of strength/ conditioning and Callahan coaching to develop into an above average tackle while playing guard and providing depth on the O line. I'd of maybe thought 4th round or so but with tackles that you like you just have to pull the trigger. Look at Miller going in the 1st!

I waffle on the Christian pick. If you want to find yourself a raw athlete you can groom into a starter long term, go find that guy in Day 3. At the same time, there was no one taken after him I really wanted.

I would make the play for Tyrell Crosby if he is available in round 4. LG is, by far, the weakest position on the team. Ty is just not a guard - he is too tall and his run blocking is terrible; he is best where he is, as a swing tackle. Arie, Kalis and Catalina have not proven anything in this league. It seems that Tyrell can come in Day 1 and give you plus run blocking

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The history of guys who have the same heart condition as him isn't good.  Lotuleilei and Fairley never lived up to the potential t hey demonstrated at the college level.  They were even more dominant players than Hurst was.  I don't think it's coincidence either.  I think the condition is debilitating.

I don't see that his diagnosis has been published. I suspect he has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It's the kind of diagnosis that doesn't affect performance but conveys a risk of sudden cardiac death. Similar to how cervical spinal stenosis may put a football player at risk, but not affect his performance. 

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t know anything about the remaining ILBs, OLBs, and corners, but there a few TEs (Thomas, Herndon, Schultz) I’m interested it, as well as WRs St. Brown/Cain, RBs Walton/Himes, and Lualetta at qb.  

I Definitely am interested in Lauletta. 

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Nobody's gonna' touch Hurst are they until tomorrow?

Which is a damn shame. Best 3-tech the draft. Unquestionable first rounder.  But with the heart thing that could literally kill him if he got it sorted out, that's a heck of a risk to gamble on. 

Hail. 

We need to move up and grab him. I don't care what his issue is. His tape is off the charts. A 4th round pick is worth the risk for a top 12 talent. Noone left in the draft is in the same zip code as Hurst's talent. If we grab him, my faith in our draft team will be restored. Ioannidis, Allen, Payne and Hurst would be a fearsome and very young group. 

I wouldn't mind Josey Jewell, Shaquem Griffin, Nyheim Hines, or even Kyle Lauletta. I'd even be ok with Da'Shawn Hand. His size and athleticism are ridiculous. Maybe Tomsula could coach him up. 6'4", 297 pounds, and ran a 4.83 with a 31 inch vert. That's almost Trent Williams level athleticism. Seems a little ridiculous though to have so many Alabama kids. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/da'shawn-hand?id=32462018-0002-5600-968c-efc567176296

Day 2 shortlist got decimated.

Harold Landry - 1

Courtland Sutton - 1

Mike Gesicki  - 1/2

Will Hernandez - 1/2

Donte Jackson - 2

Michael Gallup - 2

Sony Michael - 2

Kemoko Turay - 2/3

Nathan Shepherd - 2/3/4

Hayden Hurst - 3

Uchenna Nwosu - 3

Parry Nickerson -3/4

Deadrin Senat - 3/4

B.J. Hill - 3/4

...................................................................................................................................

Nickerson however is still available. 

Here are my favorite players left that I will be watching for on our next couple picks.

4th round pick 109

Da'Shawn Hand DE Bama

Dalton Schultz TE Stanford

Deon Cain WR Clemson 

5th round pick 163

Foley Fatukasi DT Conneticut 

Durham Smythe TE Notre Dame

Marcell Ateman WR Oklahoma State

6th round pick 205

Hercules Mata'afa LB Washington State

Cody O'connell G Washington State- he is a giant at 6'9 363 LBS 

Jay sounded like they where watching the LB, Safety and CB group in the second round, in case Guice wouldn't make it. 

We also know they like the depth at the interior line of this years draft. 

So I expect the picks to go that way. My gut feeling says ILB, Micha Kiser could be an option. Isn't there a rule that you can work out local prospects? So I expect us to have spend some extra time scouting him. 

Archived