Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

I wouldn't mind grabbing Micah Kiser today.  I think he's still there.  I didn't watch a ton of college this year but I know did watch some UVA and Kiser was a great leader on the field.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But Kurt Benkert is definitely better than him.

I'd be dancing if we grabbed both of them and added two Hoos to this team :) both at spots I think it'd be smart for us to draft too 

5 minutes ago, MAATopDogg said:

I wouldn’t  mind seeing us double down on another DL or WR. i like Keke Coutee. Reminds me of DJax and Tyrone Hill. 

I'd be happy with Coutee also. 

As for Dline, I wonder how Payne, Allen and RA feel about Hand.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

As for Dline, I wonder how Payne, Allen and RA feel about Hand.

I would be shocked if they were anything but positive about a former teammate.

But if I had the ability to read minds, I also wouldn't be shocked if they secretly didn't have a lot of respect for him.  They live and die with the game and Hand doesn't seem to.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would be shocked if they were anything but positive about a former teammate.

But if I had the ability to read minds, I also wouldn't be shocked if they secretly didn't have a lot of respect for him.  They live and die with the game and Hand doesn't seem to.

That's my guess. Behind burgundy doors it's probably a different story.

I went and watched some more tape on Christian this morning. I have to say after rewatching him I LOVE the pick. Geron has incredible feet and can slide with ease. I was actually shocked at his athleticism and his ability to get to the second level in the run game. He is fluid in pass pro and very good as a run blocker. He does struggle with the bull rush on occasion but I dont see anything that cant be corrected with work in the weight room. IMO Christian will be a future starter at T in this league. Here is some game tape if anyone else wants to check him out. Great pick!

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My day 3 watchlist was this...Think all expect one are still on the board.

Tyrell Crosby OL

Marcell Ateman WR

John Kelly RB

Dane Cruickshank DB

Tony Brown DB

Joseph Noteboom OL - Gone

Kendrick Norton DL

Steve Ishmael WR

Ike Boettger OL

That's be my guy, 74 or Ian Thomas TE from Indiana.

Kyzir White ss/lb from west va

Desean Hamilton wr

Callaway wr and St.Brown

Toliver from lsu cb

Averett and Brown dbs from Bama

Bozeman , Crosby and Teller OGs

Dalton Schultz ,Jaylen Samuels or Ian Thomas Te

Okorono, Dorance Armstrong, and Holland. Edge

Lots of talent left.

My top 10 wishes for the Skins today left on my board:

1) Maurice Hurst. DT MI I picked him at 13 in our mock. The guy is a top 15 talent IMO. But that heart issue must be serious.

2) Tim Settle DT VT. Surprised he is going to make it into round 4 in all hoesty

3) Duke Ejiofor DE Wake Forest. Maybe the best hands at DE in this draft. Limited athlete though.

4) Deon Cain  WR Clemson. Great size and speed. Questionable route running and hands.

5) Tyrell Crosby G Oregon. A mauler and would start day one at LG for us.

6) Equinemious St. Brown  WR Notre Dame. Great player. Lacks consistency.

7) Tony Adams G NC State. Another day one starter at left guard for us.

8) Armani Watts S Texas A&M. Not a need for us. But the dude can play.

9) Holton Hill CB Texas. Great player. Lacks ideal speed.

10) Luke Falk  QB Washington State. Not a great athlete. But possibly the best pocket passer in this draft.

Troy Apke was not on my radar at all.  I didn't pay enough attention to the combine this year.  10'11 broad jump, 4.34 40, and 41" vertical.  God Almighty.

And he's full sized too.

Gonna go hunt down cut ups for him.  If this guy has blitzing ability to go with that long speed I'm going to be pretty happy.

40 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Troy Apke was not on my radar at all.  I didn't pay enough attention to the combine this year.  10'11 broad jump, 4.34 40, and 41" vertical.  God Almighty.

And he's full sized too.

Gonna go hunt down cut ups for him.  If this guy has blitzing ability to go with that long speed I'm going to be pretty happy.

He's not a bad player. Which was a pleasant surprise. SS in a FS body. Runs. Hits. Not the best in coverage. Doesn't play anywhere near his combine speed. But he's not a bad athlete. 

Be a very good teams player. 

Had him a lot later Day 3. 

Hail. 

And he's full sized too.

And he's full sized too.

Just watching clips, his closing speed is brutal. Needs juiced up in the gym for a year but the pick based on talent/potential isn't that dissimilar to the Nicholson one, I'd say.

I can see Apke being an impact special teams player and a decent depth player at S throughout the season. 

The Settle pick has a lot of potential. He can be an impact player on the DL if he is in shape. Our training staff doesn't have the best reputation rght now though(see failed physicals by former players). If he works out and we're able to play Payne more at DE, this would be an amazing draft. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just watching clips, his closing speed is brutal. Needs juiced up in the gym for a year but the pick based on talent/potential isn't that dissimilar to the Nicholson one, I'd say.

I temporarily lost my mind at the pick - then I remembered Nicholson last year.  Unlikely we hit on two in a row that can play like that right away but not impossible.

Let's see what he's got.

As someone whose been a closet Alabama fanboy the past three years, I friggin love these draft classes.

You can't be a draftnik and not love watching Bama games.  They are consistently the most enjoyable prospects to evaluate.  Not because they're the most talented, but because they are the toughest and play the hardest and the stakes are always high in their games.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And he's full sized too.

His 3 cone was 6.56, better than Jaire Alexander and Mike Hughes.

I’m thinking he’s ST and the new Quinton Dunbar project. I’d see how he does at corner. His tackling looks atrocious. Needs a lot of work but he’s a WR who started 1 year at S so I understand that he needs work.

9 hours ago, DC9 said:

How does everyone feel about the draft so far?

My opinion is that this has a chance to be a great class.  It looks like we took BPA at every position and got a lot of draft value.  I think we may have gone high in the valuation of the safety a bit, based on his absurdly good combine.  But he's certainly got the physical tools to justify his draft slot.  Everyone else is pretty easy to justify at their slot.

I think we did take on a somewhat uncomfortable amount of risk in most of our picks, but the upside is good and we should get some hits.  I think the FO were swinging for the fences this weekend, and I can't fault that approach even if only a couple of these guys pan out. 

I think our class was a display of confidence in our staff's ability to teach and develop raw talent.  I think it's the right approach because Callahan, Gray, and Tomsula are all very strong position coaches.

I don't think it's out of the question that we get an abnormally high hit rate from this particular group and four or five of these guys end up being good players for us during their rookie contracts.

Archived