Dejon Allen - 6/7  

Tre Williams - 6/7

Trayvon Henderson - 6/7

Toby Weathersby - 6/7

Troy Apke - 6/7

Siran Neal - 6/7

Durham Smythe - 6/7

Mike Ramsay - 7 

If only D. James was not still on the board at 14, then I would have been thrilled with the draft so far.  I went into Thursday wanting either Vea or Payne, so I gotta be happy. But passing on the next Sean Taylor was the only thing to mute my enthusiasm.  But what took place in round 2 was an all time good move. They finally have a real RB and to pick up the lost 3rd and taking a tackle to put into the pipeline was huge.  No more Tom Comptons or T J Clemmings filling in with an injury or two is a much better place to be.

So far I give this draft an A. They clearly drafted for need early, I agree from here on out you have to go BPA.  .  

On the needs side, I still want a big ole nasty guard. I don't know if there is one left. I also think we need to be looking for Mason Foster's heir. I think Mason's a good blue collar guy, but we're thin at ILB. We may also need another DB unless we really like what we have in Holsey and Moreau Nicholson and the hyphenated kid (can't remember his name) Outside of that, the QB Lauletta intrigues me and no team has enough pass rushers.

I wouldn't mind grabbing Micah Kiser today.  I think he's still there.  I didn't watch a ton of college this year but I know did watch some UVA and Kiser was a great leader on the field.

How does everyone feel about the draft so far?

I feel it's been responsible and productive so far.  It looks like we have two starters, potentially 3.  All in areas of need.

15 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Josey Jewell, Cedric Wilson, Keke Coutee, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and Maurice Hurst are all on my list for today. I would be happy with just one of them but I doubt they will show interest in any.

I watched some Jewell video last night and I’m not the fan I thought I would be. I liked him based on reputation. He seems instinctive, but he’s slow and doesn’t look like he has the physical traits to be an impact player. Lots of catch and drag tackling. I know Josh Allen is huge, but watching Josh allen drag him, in what is supposed to be a Jewell highlight video, was possibly revealing. 

Bradley Bozeman is also on my list. Think he will be a quality Center or even a Guard. I’d be happy with him or teller at 4.9. But any of the others mentioned above work for me too.

S Quin Blanding, UVA

S Kameron Kelly, SDSU

CB Greg Stroman

CB Kevin Tolliver

CB Tavares McFadden

DT Maurice Hurst

TE Ian Thomas 

WR Deontay Burnett

WR Antomio Callaway

G Wyatt Teller

C Bradley Bozeman

LB/S Shaq Griffen

Edge Okoronkwo

Edge Mata’afa

28 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I watched some Jewell video last night and I’m not the fan I thought I would be. I liked him based on reputation. He seems instinctive, but he’s slow and doesn’t look like he has the physical traits to be an impact player. Lots of catch and drag tackling. I know Josh Allen is huge, but watching Josh allen drag him, in what is supposed to be a Jewell highlight video, was possibly revealing. 

I know the play you are talking about. It did not look great for him but in his defense Allen made another linebacker his **** on the same play. In the range we are at now I think he could help the team. He is very instinctive if nothing else and gets into gaps super quick. Looking at our backup ILB I could see him knocking Spaight or Vigil out of a spot. Especially Spaight.

I recall McGlouhan went BPA the first few rounds and switched to more need based drafting in round 5 (or was it 4?). Wonder if we take the same approach.  

Positionally, G, S/corner, OLB/ILB, QB/TE are the needs I’m seeing.  

For this year:  Guard, slot corner competition, and S depth/competition.  

For next year (and beyond):  OLB to replace McPhee, ILB depth (maybe eventual replacement for Foster/Brown), outside corner to replace Norman, eventual TE replacement for Reed/Davis, and a qb to groom as a backup (replacing McCoy next year, and potentially as a starter a few years down the line).  

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@skinny21 I’d agree for QB but I think we brought in Hogan for that reason and I do like Hogan

Hogan has zero impact on any draft decision. He cost nothing and cutting him costs nothing and he's certainly nothing more than a camp arm.

I'd love to grab a QB.

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We need to move up and grab him. I don't care what his issue is. His tape is off the charts. A 4th round pick is worth the risk for a top 12 talent. Noone left in the draft is in the same zip code as Hurst's talent. If we grab him, my faith in our draft team will be restored. Ioannidis, Allen, Payne and Hurst would be a fearsome and very young group. 

I wouldn't mind Josey Jewell, Shaquem Griffin, Nyheim Hines, or even Kyle Lauletta. I'd even be ok with Da'Shawn Hand. His size and athleticism are ridiculous. Maybe Tomsula could coach him up. 6'4", 297 pounds, and ran a 4.83 with a 31 inch vert. That's almost Trent Williams level athleticism. Seems a little ridiculous though to have so many Alabama kids. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/da'shawn-hand?id=32462018-0002-5600-968c-efc567176296

Hurst is the BPA by far, but I wouldn't blame the FO for passing on him.  Obviously his heart condition has scared teams off from him to this point in the draft.  Maybe at some point the risk is outweighed by the reward, but I don't know what that point will be.

I liked watching Josey Jewell's college tape, but being small and slow is not a good combination for a defender looking to eventually win a starting job in the NFL.  I got married to basically the same prospect in Tyler Matakevich in 2016 and he ended up going in the seventh round and has been just a special teamer for the Steelers.  And he was a better college player than Jewell.  I think Jewell will also be a 7th rounder, maybe sixth since the ILB class is thin now.  And I think he'll battle his whole career to hold on to a roster spot.

As far as Hand goes, he's kind of the opposite of Johnathan Allen.  All the natural gifts in the world, but he doesn't play hard.  I wouldn't call him soft because he is punishingly physical.  I just don't think he cares enough about football to maximize his ability and realize his potential to be the best guy on the defense.  He had trouble just getting on the field for Bama when he was supposed to be their blue chip stud on the defense.  And I also think he was the beneficiary of what DaRon Payne and the other guys in the front were doing, not the other way around, because a lot of his production came when he was unblocked or blocked by a tight end.

But at this point in the draft, swinging for the fences on his upside and hoping the football character will improve isn't the worst idea.

I worry that we've already taken a fair amount of risk in our draft though.  Aside from Payne, whom I am confident will work out, we made upside picks that could turn into home runs or flame out and both outcomes would be equally unsurprising to me.

I'm a UR alum and enjoyed the career of Lauletta.  He's the best QB in program history no doubt.  It'd be fun to have him in camp, battling for a roster spot.  I'd be rooting like hell for him to make the team and take over the back up role from McCoy.

But Kurt Benkert is definitely better than him.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

I wouldn't mind grabbing Micah Kiser today.  I think he's still there.  I didn't watch a ton of college this year but I know did watch some UVA and Kiser was a great leader on the field.

I feel it's been responsible and productive so far.  It looks like we have two starters, potentially 3.  All in areas of need.

Glad to see some positive reaction around here...could this put more fans in the crowd and keep opposing team fans out?.. I believe more W's in the w l column would help..but this draft was a start..A+ from me..

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But Kurt Benkert is definitely better than him.

As well as Bruce friendly... #bruceallendrinkscoorslightandsodoi...

Good spot for a C/G, edge rusher or TE but I don't like any of them at the top of the 4th.

I'd go:

ILB Kiser or Jewell

CB Nelson or Averett

I also like:

QB's White and Lauletta

RB Hines

This board must have flipped sh** when the trade was announced with Guice still available at 44!

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

All I know is the draft thread ballooned like 10 pages around the time it happened.  It's like a gameday thread.  I can't keep up with it.

I had a friend from another island, Redskin fan, surprise me before leaving the islands so we went out for several drinks and dinner and I missed everything. I'm still not sure exactly what happened.

Board must have been a trip. If we didn't land him, that would have been it for most of this fan base, even if we drafted an all pro.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Draft is good.  We can always argue about whether the Skins could have traded down a bit in the first round and still gotten Payne.  But there's never any guarantee that he would still be there.  At this point, it doesn't matter whether he was good value at #13 or should have been selected at #20.  Now it's just whether he's going to be a good player for the Skins.  I think the answer is going to be yes.  So, I'm quite happy about the pick and how it will let Ziggy Hood play in-position.  Guice is the guy everyone wanted and the Skins got him with a bonus reserve tackle.  It's hard to complain about two quality starters at positions of need.  I think the 3rd round pick is a future investment - he apparently is not strong enough to play Guard and needs development as a tackle.  He's not needed today so that's ok.  

Archived