Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your personal "Top 5 TV shows" of all time

mcsluggo

Shout out for Maria Bamford, a true original and belly-laugh funny.

I still think that Bernie Mac's (RIP) routine from The Original Kings of Comedy is one of the funniest things EVER.

I'm going to try to do an all classic sitcom list

M*A*S*H

Taxi

WKRP in Cincinnati

** Animaniacs

I Love Lucy

Andy Griffith Show

There are probably better shows than Andy Griffith, but it's comfort food. It's just relaxed, easy, wholesome, and makes you feel pretty good about the world.

Animaniacs was probably one of the most clever and wonderful cartoon series ever. When they hit they were absolutely brilliant... and they hit often.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyway, here's my top five stand up specials currently on Netflix:

1 - Anthony Jeselnik - Thoughts and Prayers

2 - John Mulaney - Comeback Kid & New In Town

3 - Ali Wong - Baby Cobra

4 - Louis CK - Live at the Beacon Theater/Chewed Up/Hilarious - pick any.  I think Chewed Up is my favorite

5 - Dave Chappelle's two specials - I don't at all get why people didn't seem to like these

Honorable Mention to Donald Glover's Weirdo, Hannibal Burress's Comedy Comisado and Animal Furnace, and Mike Birbiglia's stuff.

What did you think of Joe Rogan's recent special "Triggered?" I loved it and it is probably in my top five now.

Also, Ari Shaffir double special just released yesterday, "Double Negative" and getting great reviews.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

I thought they were both just flat out genius.  Artist at the top of his craft

"He rapes but he saves!"  Just outstanding LOL

The transgender boss joke had me on the floor laughing. I still need to watch the other one.

2 hours ago, JCB said:

Interesting sub-topic would be greatest TV theme songs of all time . . . WKRP was pretty strong.

Just about any TV theme song from back in the day was good to very good. 

5 hours ago, Pick6 said:

What did you think of Joe Rogan's recent special "Triggered?" I loved it and it is probably in my top five now.

I haven't watched it yet.  I like Joe Rogan's stand up but I wouldn't say I love him.  His shtick is excellent and I like his take on things, but a lot of his material is about stuff I just don't connect with.  I'll check Triggered out though.

7 hours ago, DM72 said:

There's got to be a reason why so many comedians consider Pryor the GOAT.

He was ground breaking.  He and Carlin basically married the middlebrow comedy of Newhart/Cosby with the Lenny Bruce school to change the game in the early 1970's.  They turned stand up into what it has been ever since--an aggressive and seductive transgressive performance art.  Pryor influenced all of the major black comedians who followed him, particularly Chappelle.  Also had a heavy influence on white comedians like Louis CK and Doug Stanhope and Bill Hicks, who themselves shaped the generation that followed them.  He had a huge impact on the medium.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I haven't watched it yet.  I like Joe Rogan's stand up but I wouldn't say I love him.  His shtick is excellent and I like his take on things, but a lot of his material is about stuff I just don't connect with.  I'll check Triggered out though.

I liked this one too. Had some duds, particularly the drug stuff but overall was pretty funny. That was the first time I'd seen his standup. He's quite animated. 

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

These are amazing. Best standup I've seen in a long time 

He is unbelievably talented.  You would never suspect how gifted he is just from looking at him.  But he's up there with Dave Chappelle and Louis CK and Maria Bamford as a performer and original joke writer.  A baby-faced, effete master.  His joke about his old boss feeling like a duck in Comeback Kid made me cry from laughing so hard.

You and I have similar taste, so I am going to recommend in the strongest possible terms that, if you haven't seen it yet, you must watch Anthony Jeselnik's special on Netflix.  Every single word he speaks is on point.  He's like Daniel Tosh + Steven Wright on steroids.  With the main character from Dexter's sociopathy mixed in.  He's one of the greatest joke writers out there and his special is a masterpiece.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Game of thrones is a cotender here too lol. 

Also: 

Happy Days 

the wonder years 

all In the family

the fresh prince

friends 

You actually LIKED the friends theme song? Wow. That one pushed me to the brink of insanity.

My top 5 theme music:

1. Miami Vice

2. Knight Rider

3. Happy Days

4. The Jeffersons

5. Star Trek: The Original Series

Let's see here. In no particular order. Star Trek TOS,(Next Generation right in there). 

Hill Street Blues

MASH

Breaking Bad 

(Shows that could interchange with those above)

Johnny Quest :) 

Miami Vice

West Wing

(For starters).  

On 7/18/2017 at 10:21 PM, gbear said:

Awesome call on animaniacs. It should have been on my list.  It was the most expensive cartoon made for TV primarily because each show had its own musical score. I still watch it when I see it.

It is crazy how funny that show is 20 years later.  I didn't realize it was expensive but never thought of the musical score aspect.  I always wondered why they stopped making it.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

South Park

5th pick is too hard:

The Office/Parks and Rec/Arrested Development/Better Call Saul/Seinfeld

Granted, I haven't watched The Wire or The Sopranos yet but I have a feeling one of those will make the list once I do. Used to love Walking Dead but it's gone a little south, still entertaining but not top 5 worthy.

Archived