Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Damn Good Food

Spaceman Spiff

On 1/11/2018 at 10:57 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Bantam King in DC.  Across the street from Verizon Center.  Fried chicken and ramen.

Stopped by here Tuesday and they charge 11 for two pieces of fried chicken. Was just browsing but I decided at that time I wasn't eating that. 

Maybe another day. 

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Stopped by here Tuesday and they charge 11 for two pieces of fried chicken. Was just browsing but I decided at that time I wasn't eating that. 

Maybe another day. 

That’s the trick isn’t it?

Good international food is typically found in larger cities which in turn have considerably higher commercial real estate prices which then forces cheap traditional comfort food to be expensive.

There is a serious oversaturation of ramen places in DC 

Chaplin is another one. The ramen is ok but the drinks are great. 

DC has a lot of great Asian food options but it  is sorely missing quality sushi places. 

The best I’ve been to is Sushi Capitol. The place is always packed and reservations are hard to come by unless you plan way ahead. The owner recently opened a new location called Sushi Ogawa which is more upscale. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, we’re back in Cincy for a soccer tournament so we had to go back to Riverside Korean Restaurant in Covington.

Osam Bul Go Gi
Grilled pork belly and squid in a spicy sauce with cabbage, mushroom, carrot, hot pepper, onion and green onion.

40584266411_3edc591a19_b.jpg

Pic 2 (my wife)
Ja Jang Myun
Thick flour noodles topped with black bean sauce sautéed with pork, cabbage, zucchini, carrot and onion topped with boiled egg, cucumber and green onion.

39689769945_c7f4d36e88_b.jpg

Pic 3 (my son)
Go Deung Uh Gui
Grilled salted mackerel.

39689770155_22f5806f17_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Blue Sushi & Sake Grill

Lexington, Kentucky

Left to right

Black tuna (marinated tuna)

Godzilla Bomb

Spicy Gringo

41631547741_211023225f_b.jpg

Uni (sea urchin)

I have stayed away from sea urchin for 10 years, before it tasted muddy.

This was amazing, it tasted like a mocha custard.

27762447378_cdaed8d778_b.jpg

Tuna tower

39823649540_6c97281bd3_b.jpg

Crab rangoon

41591426222_318beb81c0_b.jpg

Lettuce wraps

41591426972_b8f9045e25_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

We have a company that works out of Kroger (like a Publix) and their sushi is definitely good enough to satisfy in a pinch.

what defines good sushi other than the quality of the fish?

I like ceviche,but prefer my food cooked

1 hour ago, twa said:

what defines good sushi other than the quality of the fish?

I like ceviche,but prefer my food cooked

Good grocery store sushi is about fish quality and for me if they are mixing their flavors correctly. 

Sashimi or nigiri is ALL about the quality of the fish and half of that is about the freshness. The cut matters too, too thick is no good, too thin and there’s no flavor.

That said, the black tuna above was freaking amazing! The marinade gave it a smokey flavor that balanced the subtle white fish flavor.

I love “raw” ceviche too, some thick cod loin cubed and soaked for 45 minutes in lime juice, jalepeños, and onions! 

Bear in mind that “sushi” means rice, not raw fish. Most sushi in the states is served in rolls with other ingredients like cucumber, tempura, soft shell crab, eel, and various sauces. 

I much prefer sashimi over nigiri because I like the texture and taste of a larger piece of raw fish meat. The nigiri is good too, but it is a thinner slice pressed over rice.

The uni above was prepared nigiri style but I ate the roe by itself with no rice or seaweed wrap.

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, we’re in Charleston, SC for a few days and I need restaurant recs.

Last time here we ate at 

The Tattooed Moose

Noisy Oyster

I’m up for just about anything, but it needs to be casual friendly.

I’ve eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. 

http://hymanseafood.com/

Hominy Grill for breakfast morning 1:

Overall tasty brunch food, good flavors, I line the huevos rancheros best...but and this is a BIG butt, it was too pricey. Like significantly so. I exoect to pay more in a town like this, but $19 for the shrimp and grits is too high.

43107565842_69c32a9395_b.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes

42439156344_2b31f15199_b.jpg

“Nasty Biscuit”

42253332695_d020716121_b.jpg

Huevos Rancheros

42253332725_37f8fef554_b.jpg

Shrimp and grits

42253332635_197c1f024f_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been awhile since I posted here.

I tried Ramen Ya in Lexington, KY today.

First time at Ramen Ya, I couldn't decide on what yo get so I opted for Naruto's Ramen bowl which is pretty much everything in a bowl. I added kimchi because I enjoy a bit of spice. The first thing I noticed was how wondefful it all smelled. The kelp, and kimchi with the savory background were inviting. I first busted the boiled egg, spilling out the soft runny yolk! YUMMMM!!! Then I started with some plain noodles, they were fine, definitely better than the college ramen, but served mainly as the canvas for the other flavors and there were plenty. By the end of the bowl I was stirring and mixing and slurping away until my soup spoon sadly scraped the empty bowl.

If you think ramen is 25 cent hard noodles with a bullion packet that starving artists eat then you owe to to yourself to enjoy a real taste of authentic Japanese ramen at Ramen Ya!

43835320280_6587d4bddc_b.jpg

30712571407_8cd2d81297_b.jpg

On 7/2/2018 at 12:17 AM, EBoz said:

I’ve eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. 

http://hymanseafood.com/

I just went there over the summer for the very first time. Food was spectacular. 

Within their wheelhouse they are awesome indeed.  Flounder was so delicious, hushpuppies were great. 

I can not wait to go try it out again. 

Archived