Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Damn Good Food

Spaceman Spiff

1 minute ago, BigDaddyShoo said:

It's my wife's and my favorite higher-end DC restaurant these days (and we go out a LOT). If you like caviar, definitely get an order at Kinship. The potato chips they serve with them are simply spectacular.

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

I have not yet been to either of Eric Ziebold's restaurants, but obviously the word is that they are both amazing.  

What else is on your short list of restaurants?  Wife and I are big fans of the Dabney and Corduroy.

Im taking my wife here for her birthday next month.  Former chef at blackberry farms just recently opened this in downtown knoxville

http://www.jcholdway.com/dinner

He won a james beard award and blackberry farms is ridamdiculous.  I will reprt back

If youve never heard of blackberry farms its because despite what you might think you are still a peasant.  You need to work harder

http://www.blackberryfarm.com

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

Im taking my wife here for her birthday next month.  Former chef at blackberry farms just recently opened this in downtown knoxville

http://www.jcholdway.com/dinner

He won a james beard award and blackberry farms is ridamdiculous.  I will reprt back

If youve never heard of blackberry farms its because despite what you might think you are still a peasant.  You need to work harder

http://www.blackberryfarm.com

image.png.d42ceadbba65ebb8619c8c2d5d23077c.png

image.png.41dd8025ef819d53bb59d7d0f47ace30.png

Sold.

image.png.5a12aa692e1bce860a9d0fe8aab79c52.png

Double sold.

image.png.268c29370b0763ebbfa85d8d5482a65d.png

Can I join?

As far as Wagyu and Kobe go one had a distinct legal definition it has to meet.  That's Kobe.  Wagyu can really be anything, there is no strict definition.  It's kinda like places calling a sub a Philly Cheesesteak, they vary wildly.

Wagyu can go from being close to Kobe to fat injected steaks https://www.foodbeast.com/news/beef-artificial-marbling/. So it's always a gamble when you buy it.  While there are Wagyu cattle in the US from a consumer standpoint the term Wagyu is pretty meaningless.  

I try and buy Prime graded USDA steaks when I can preferably dry aged about a month.  

Ive had kobe steak on a few occasions.  It is nowhere near the best steak ive eaten.  Whats especially funny is people who shell out big mone for a kobe beef hamburger.  If i am at a restaurant and i see a kobe beef burger on the menu, i know automayically that the restaurant is going to suck ass and is catered towards people who are basically stupid.

Its ground.  If you want more fat, add fat genius.  No reason to grind down a highly marbled steak when you could do the same thing (better actually) by adding 50 cents worth of pork fat.

Though in general, steak is extremely overrated. 

Just now, zoony said:

Ive had kobe steak on a few occasions.  It is nowhere near the best steak ive eaten.  Whats especially funny is people who shell out big mone for a kobe beef hamburger.  If i am at a restaurant and i see a kobe beef burger on the menu, i know automayically that the restaurant is going to suck ass and is catered towards people who are basically stupid.

Its ground.  If you want more fat, add fat genius.  No reason to grind down a highly marbled steak when you could do the same thing (better actually) by adding 50 cents worth of pork fat.

I've never had Kobe Steak.  Never been anyplace that served it actually. I do love good steak though admittedly it can be hard to find.  

That's true about the Kobe burger!  Run, run away fast!

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Agree!  But wait.....

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Damn I like steak lobster and chocolate.  No wonder I’m a fat **** !!

I like them all too.  I just think the latter two are overrated.  If you go to an upscale chain restaurant, lobster is consistently the most expensive thing on the menu.  People should just order some extra free bread and a vat of drawn butter.  :)

29 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Yeah a good steak is one of my favorite foods.  Only salt & pepper, if you over season it, it ruins it for me.

Im not saying it sucks, far from it.  Just that it is highly overated.

The real problem with steak is that once you have a truly good steak, you cant go back.  Ever.  And there is really only one way to cook it, like you mention.  Lots of salt and lots of heat.  So youre talking about a meal (if you cook yourself) that costs $75.  Because the $14.99 choice cuts at the grocery store are dog****.

I buy steaks maybe twice a year, here. http://motherearthmeats.com I dont know if they ship but their prime grass fed ribeyes (when they have them) are incredible.  And i normally loathe grass fed beef.  

Pork 》beef.  There are probably 500 unique, incredible, truly distinct flavors that you can do with pork.  Beef, there are a handful at best.

Last time i went to mother earth to buy steak i walked out with pork belly and a fresh young chicken.  Had $40 left over and a better meal..  jmo

I bought half a cow like two years ago.  Amazing steaks in terms of flavor.  However, because the cows aren't factory-farmed, they are smaller and the steaks are, accordingly, smaller.  Plus, when you buy a half a cow like that, about 1/4 of what you get is burger (they just grind up everything that is too small to be a steak) and another 1/4 is organs (some of which are great, some of which ended up literally being dog food).  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I get mine from Wegmans or Springfield Butcher.  Beef tenderloin primals i get from Costco.

I don’t care for Wegmans meat. Locally I go to Harry’s Teeter butcher counter or Costco and get the prime. The ground chuck at the butcher counter at HT is damn good too 

Just now, HOF44 said:

I don’t care for Wegmans meat. Locally I go to Harry’s Teeter butcher counter or Costco and get the prime. The ground chuck at the butcher counter at HT is damn good too 

I drive past 2 Teeters to go to Wegmans.  Wegmans is vastly superior in all respects, IMHO.  

20 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I drive past 2 Teeters to go to Wegmans.  Wegmans is vastly superior in all respects, IMHO.  

Maybe it just the locations. Im not very price sensitive for steaks and the ones near me at wegmans are just not very good. 

Oh and another thing in general if you ever order steak and it comes frozen very bad sign. 

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

Maybe it just the locations. Im not very price sensitive for steaks and the ones near me at wegmans are just not very good. 

Oh and another thing in general if you ever order steak and it comes frozen very bad sign. 

Must just be the locations.  I'm not price sensitive either, my Wegmans has a much higher quality, much bigger selection of cuts and an actual butcher than will do custom cuts.  My Teeter has a little bitty case and a counter with a teenager behind it who is almost certain stoned as ****. 

Archived