Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: People really love eating at Olive Garden

Destino

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not talking about trying to get folks to go eat wild boar and crazy stuff like that as I realize you have to choose something that can accommodate various pallets.  I was simply talking about hitting a famous pizza joint or something NYC.  I think it just boils down to comfort for some folks.  They know exactly what to expect, even if its boring.

Angry forest pigs are still pigs and as such I'd expect them to be delicious. 

I agree with you.  There are safe choices that aren't some awful national chain that serves mediocre food.  I've just been on too many "adventures" with people that want to try something "authentic" that ended badly. 

42 minutes ago, justice98 said:

People get real uppity and snobby about chain restaurants sometimes.

Food quality just isn't good.  Nothing uppity about it because you can most likely find better options at the same price-point with a little research. 

Couple things:

1. Food at chains varies wildy regionally and locally, despite management's attempt to keep things consistent. Some chain restaurants are significantly better than their relatives. 

2. People like chains because they are familiar; theyll have one dish that you can bank on. Chains are also more likely to habe vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free items on their menu. Large restaurant chains will also generally go out of their way to meet a customer's demands. The conditions generally don't apply to smaller restaurants. Chains yield a sense of security. 

3. The younger crowd will gravitate  toward more "hipster" restaurants because they are generally more concerned about adventure over conistency. Nonrelated, the bulk of the younger generation doesn't know how to cook for themselves outside of the basics. 

4. I like my local olive garden for salad, wine, and an occasional cheap, convienent, and probably not very good "italian" meal. There aren't a whole lot of better options for "italian". Now mexican or tex mex, where I live, is a different scenario. 

5. Outside of the city and suburbia, even chains can be hard to come by. There will be a couple mom and pops and a diner. Rural places can't support high end restaurants and when a chain pops up, it's probably the newest and most unique restaurant in that area, leading to popularity. 

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

There is a generational divide.

Us milenials don't mess with the big chains much. Especially if you live in or near a city. (I am even including a town like Silver Spring as a place with good food options)

Older people like what they know.

SO much truth to that...

Two conversations my parents had with me just this past week...

1.  "Bertucci's isn't what it used to be."

2.  "Do you want to join us at Don Julio's?  We've wanted to try it for a long time."

*Now don't get me wrong...I'm not a food elitist at the least.  I LOVE cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory and would put their desserts up against anyone's.  They're that good. 

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

People get real uppity and snobby about chain restaurants sometimes.

No, some of us work in REAL Italian restaurants, who have had the same chef for 27 years.  No matter how much I beg, they won't put more cracked black pepper in the marinara.  My only complaint.

I used to like to go Macaroni Grill in FL, the one local to me isn't as good, they changed the menu a bunch.

There are several Italian restaurants locally that aren't chains that are pretty good.

There's a new soul food restaurant that just opened, I'm waiting for it to settle down before going there.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'll get that way one day too.  Our curiosity and energy for learning will die.  Dank taco trucks will be the Olive Gardens of 2047.

And to accommodate, someone will open a chain of dank taco trucks where old millenials live in 2047. 

I hope it's Torchy's.

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'll get that way one day too.  Our curiosity and energy for learning will die.  Dank taco trucks will be the Olive Gardens of 2047.

I think we eventually come to a time where putting strange foods into our stomachs becomes a bit more of a gamble.  I'm not there yet but there was a time when I could drink late into the night and still have a productive work day too.  Time changes what we can get away with.  

13 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

There is a generational divide.

Us milenials don't mess with the big chains much. Especially if you live in or near a city. (I am even including a town like Silver Spring as a place with good food options)

Older people like what they know.

I thought you were like 65.

9 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I used to like to go Macaroni Grill in FL, the one local to me isn't as good, they changed the menu a bunch.

We did lunch there for hubby's birthday when we lived in Savannah.  I gotta tell ya, how the servers write their name upside down on the end of the paper tablecloth was absolutely mind-blowing for me...I spent the whole meal trying to figure out if I could ever learn to do that.:ols:

7 hours ago, Destino said:

I think we eventually come to a time where putting strange foods into our stomachs becomes a bit more of a gamble.  I'm not there yet but there was a time when I could drink late into the night and still have a productive work day too.  Time changes what we can get away with.  

That's already happening with me.  Even with foods I've loved for years.

The day I can't eat cheese without ****ting my pants is the day I jump off a bridge.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's already happening with me.  Even with foods I've loved for years.

The day I can't eat cheese without ****ting my pants is the day I jump off a bridge.

I hear ya...so don't eat the alfredo at my restaurant.  Hits you faster than lightning. 

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Carrabbas is supposed to be a notch above OG

I'd say that it's more than just a notch above, but I don't get the fascination with it or The Cheesecake Factory.  I know Carrabbas is owned by Outback.  I like Outback and honestly, I think their Queensland Chicken and Shrimp is better pasta than anything you can get from Carrabas.  It's definitely better than anything you can get from Olive Garden.

I'm not a food snob either, but I think Carrabbas has gone slightly downhill from the quality of food they provided years ago.  The last 5-6 times I've been, with the last time being around a year and a half ago or longer, I swear on most dishes (even their steaks or sides with the steaks) they over garlic everything.  Their fettuccini alfredo is almost inedible now due to garlic overload.  It didn't used to be like that.

With that said, I'd go back to eat there, I don't hate the place.  There are a few options they have that I enjoy, but its rare that I'm in the mood for those dishes, so we rarely go anymore.   That and because we had a really nice local Greek/Italian place that was family owned and everything made fresh daily.  They left because their landlord raised their lease when it was time to renew and forced them out.  But they are opening another location down the road soon.

As far as Olive Garden goes, I haven't set foot in one since at least 2000-01.  I remember the food being ok back then.  My wifes old office was down the road from one and I met her there for lunch a few times.  There is one really close to my house now, but it's always packed (it's at a mall) and we tried to go to it not long after it opened (can't remember the year) and there was at least 30+ people standing outside waiting it was so busy.

My wife said the quality of the food had severely declined since I had last eaten there with her and I'm not about to wait 2 hours for lunch.  So we left and ate elsewhere.  Never been back.

I have to wonder if it's not more 'seasonal' than 'generational' (as in season of life you're in).  When my wife and I were younger in our pre-kid days we were much more adventurous as well.  Then when the kids come along and time/money/etc become more scarce we eat our less often and our priorities for choosing change as well.  Our decision point comes down to: what will the kids like, what can we afford and what do we like, usually in that order.  Now that we're older, we still don't eat out very much and so when we do we want something we know we can trust and will enjoy.  We don't want to ruin our scarce chances of eating out on something we don't like.  I'm sure that's not everyone's choice, but it's the one we've made.  There's only one or two things at OG I'll eat but I enjoy them and given the infrequency of eating there, don't tire of them.

3 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I have to wonder if it's not more 'seasonal' than 'generational' (as in season of life you're in).  When my wife and I were younger in our pre-kid days we were much more adventurous as well.  Then when the kids come along and time/money/etc become more scarce we eat our less often and our priorities for choosing change as well.  Our decision point comes down to: what will the kids like, what can we afford and what do we like, usually in that order.  Now that we're older, we still don't eat out very much and so when we do we want something we know we can trust and will enjoy.  We don't want to ruin our scarce chances of eating out on something we don't like.  I'm sure that's not everyone's choice, but it's the one we've made.  There's only one or two things at OG I'll eat but I enjoy them and given the infrequency of eating there, don't tire of them.

That is one possibility.  Not sure how old you are (I'm 42) but for me, I'm usually very simple when it comes to eating out, meaning as long as the place has something common (steak, some type of chicken dish, wings, fries, etc.) I will eat that if I'm unsure about the other dishes.  I'd say price comes first on our list, followed by what we want because our daughter is very picky, but she's nine.  

OG, it's been so long since I last ate there, I have no idea if I would like it now or not (not talking about breadsticks or salads).  I imagine that there might be something there I could eat and enjoy.  Like Carrabbas, if I were to go back there now I'd most likely get a calamari appetizer, minestrone soup or a wood fired pizza.  Back to price though, I just looked at OG's menu and everything in the chicken dishes is like $15+.  

I know I can go to a local Italian restaurant that has superior food to both them and Carrabbas and it cost less.  It's also homemade, everything.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with anyone liking any restaurant and going there.  But I do often wonder why people would choose the chain with more expensive food that is nowhere close to being as good as a local joint (if they have easy access to one).

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I know I can go to a local Italian restaurant that has superior food to both them and Carrabbas and it cost less.  It's also homemade, everything.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with anyone liking any restaurant and going there.  But I do often wonder why people would choose the chain with more expensive food that is nowhere close to being as good as a local joint (if they have easy access to one).

That's why people come to my place.  It's family owned since '80, same chef for 27 years.  We've got 2 other locations...both owned and operated by my Italian grandma owner's son, in an LLC.  (We let him **** **** up with his locations on purpose, lol...he doesn't take care of things like Mama and me in the flagship ;)).  Our caterings ain't no joke.  We're badass, with a following.  I'm eternally grateful that I got to join this crew.  I like to call it "playful professionalism"...and we get it right.  You won't be disappointed with anything.  The only thing we're lacking is people breaking out into song in the middle of the dining room.

#foodpride

On 6/28/2017 at 6:55 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Carrabbas is supposed to be a notch above OG

Two notches at least!

There was one nearby when I lived in NJ, but now I have to drive through miles of slow traffic to get to the closest one.

When I lived in NJ, the Macaroni Grill in Princeton was great. Now when I'm too lazy to drive far, I go to the one a mile from my house in GA, and it sucks. Maybe it's the corruption of southern cuisine, but some dishes I used to like have disgusting Paula Deen levels of butter in them, and the ingredients are not as fresh.

Maggiano's is probably the best Italian chain, but there is never one nearby...

Archived