Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fun with Nest Thermostats and other unprotected wifi devices

daveakl

We live in a upper middle class neighborhood (really it's more likely a lower rich people neighborhood), mostly white people and a few minorities that can afford it.  Mostly christian, maybe a couple of other religious families.  Two of three that are Muslim, I think 1 Jew and 2 Catholic family also.

Recently I've noticed a trend in people installing wifi controlled devices in their homes.  Garage doors, nest thermostats, lights, even fridge and coffee makers.  As I'm walking around the 'hood I can see all their devices on my phones and I've taken to having a little mischievous fun with them.  Usually at night I'll go for a walk and open garage doors after they are home for the night, set coffee makers to go off around 2am, turning on lights in the middle of the evening (I can only imagine the sound of a coffee grinder whirling around while someone is fast asleep then waking up with their lights on and the garage open! hahahah).  I also started messing the the thermostats of some of the other people living in our neighborhood.  Setting the temp up like 90 degrees when they are at work, cooling it down to 60 all night to raise their electricity bill, etc.  I also like to have the fridge order bacon for the Muslim and Jewish families and hummus for the black family.  

Anyone else playing with other people's wifi devices?  Any tips/tricks that I'm not doing yet?

Just now, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

So basically you're getting people's garages robbed, trying to set their houses on fire and killing their elderly parents? Yes I remember middle school too. 

haha, na, we don't have any crime in our neighborhood. 

No houses set on fire (I don't mess with the fireplaces, but that could be fun this winter while they are sitting in their living rooms)

How on earth would I kill elderly parents?  Tell their fridge not to order prune juice?

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Can you connect to their Echo/google home devices too? That would be pretty sweet to turn their lights on and off during the night. You mentioned lights but didnt give examples. Go full Poltergeist on them

I have been able to do their lights but only the wifi ones.  One family has one of those wifi lights that changes colors and plays music.  I'm thinking of making it light up red and play some death metal in the middle of the night.

If I could get into one of those home devices that orders anything, woah baby, I'd order things from Amazon then make sure I was there when it was delivered to grab it off their door step.  Could also log into their doorbell camera's to make sure I erased the footage.

Can't tell whether you're serious. If you are, the neighborly thing to do would be to point out to your neighbors the security issues. 

Dave, I have nothing but respect for you, but GACOLB is right. There's no real excuse for all this when you're an adult. (If you had a particular neighbor where you had the kind of relationship where you prank each other, I could see that. This doesn't sound like that.)

Knowing how people have to stretch to make ends meet, the idea of purposefully wasting someone's else's money, I just...I'm not sure what to say. Grow the **** up. 

And if all of this was a joke, then shrug. 

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

How on earth would I kill elderly parents?  Tell their fridge not to order prune juice?

I'd think setting somebody's thermostat to 90 in the middle of the day during the summer might play a role. Or maybe those stories about elderly people dying every time there's a heat wave are just in my imagination.

I had a wifi thermostat and changed it out for a very reliable non wifi that is straightforward and programmable.  I have never regretted not being able to set temps with my smartphone

Everyone keeps saying our homes are going SMART, but i genuinely wonder if this isnt like the wall to wall carpeting trend of the 60s, etc.  I think it is mostly a big croc of ****.

Dude... messing with thermostats is a very bad idea. Worst case scenarios are pretty bad. Say someone is *epileptic... that could  cause easily cause a seizure.

*or pets in house

You need a few winks or one of these for this thread:

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

I have been able to do their lights but only the wifi ones.  One family has one of those wifi lights that changes colors and plays music.  I'm thinking of making it light up red and play some death metal in the middle of the night.

I'm thinking the best way to take advantage of this is

1) if they have children. You could really scare the **** out of them at night.

2) If you can see into any of their homes while walking and saw that people were having sex. Just be a constant **** block messing with the lights or clocks every time they try to go at it. That could actually be considered a public service since you are reducing the chances of additional brats running around the neighborhood. 

If you can't see through their windows from the road, just take a frisbee with you on your walk and toss it under their window so you could "go get it" and end up with a closer look into their home to find out what they are doing. If they spot you just tell them you were picking up the frisbee your kids left there. If they harass you about peeking through their windows just open their garage door randomly to distract them. 

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Whole house is corded.  He freaks out when I check ES on my phone, **** you not. 

Nothing wireless.  Nothing ever will be. 

When I buy a house, I'd love to pull ethernet cable throughout the house and not need Wifi.

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

When I buy a house, I'd love to pull ethernet cable throughout the house and not need Wifi.

Sitting here now, I'm at a desk with a pc hardwired.  I usually am when I'm with you guys.  No way my **** goes floating out into the air (it is anyway, technically), but there's a serious case of the heebie-jeebies when it comes to wireless anything around here. 

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Ah, the internet of things.  Yet another security breach introduced into our lives.

Feel like I'm going to end up like Will Smith in iRobot, people yelling at my radio for voice command, and I just shake my head at them.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Feel like I'm going to end up like Will Smith in iRobot, people yelling at my radio for voice command, and I just shake my head at them.

I'm gonna be that recluse in the woods (what's left of them, anyways) living off the grid that will be the subject of urban legends.  Yet inside my reclusive hovel, it'll be filled with all sorts of high tech gadgetry; just not the the privacy-invading kind that's all the rage these days.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sitting here now, I'm at a desk with a pc hardwired.  I usually am when I'm with you guys.  No way my **** goes floating out into the air (it is anyway, technically), but there's a serious case of the heebie-jeebies when it comes to wireless anything around here. 

Paranoid much :ols:

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

What if I told you that your username and password for ES is sent in the clear and that anyone on your network could easily steal them?

I would say that I know that already.  And I'm not paranoid about random people trying to hack my wireless connection to steal anything, much less my ES username and password.  You make it sound like there are supreme hackers out there in droves trying to hack my wireless connection that have some grudge against me.  

Yes, wireless networks are vulnerable to attacks, just like a network that is hardwired.  Being paranoid about having a wireless network in the house is silly to me.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I would say that I know that already.  And I'm not paranoid about random people trying to hack my wireless connection to steal anything, much less my ES username and password.  You make it sound like there are supreme hackers out there in droves trying to hack my wireless connection that have some grudge against me.  

Yes, wireless networks are vulnerable to attacks, just like a network that is hardwired.  Being paranoid about having a wireless network in the house is silly to me.

I find it better to be on the paranoid side of security than on the lax side.  Granted, I'm not necessarily against wifi from a security standpoint as long as you take the proper precautions; I have more pressing security issues to worry about.  I wanna pull cable throughout the house, though, because wired is just better.  On all many fronts including security, but also throughput, latency, and reliability.

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Guys we are getting off topic. How can we help Dave terrify and torment his neighbors? 

How about we not and instead be mature adults who check to make sure that what's funny to us isn't an offense, burden, or violation of their domain to somebody else. 

This is immature asshole **** in my opinion. You have to have a certain relationship with people to play like this, because if you don't then it's not playing to them. 

Archived