Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

what kind of sadist would enjoy sitting in rush hour gridlock just to park near the arena

never driving to a Caps game again

If you know the spots to park around the stadium, you will always drive.  I am on Ny Ave in 5 mins or on 395 in 10, zero traffic.  And i only have to park parking until 630 only

This is from March but is relevant to Metro

http://www.thehoya.com/historic-agreement-guarantees-dedicated-funding-wmata/

Maryland lawmakers joined the governments of Washington, D.C., and Virginia yesterday in a final approval to jointly provide up to $500 million annually to fund the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority in a historic funding decision that could boost the floundering system’s recovery efforts.

The Virginia general assembly pledged $154 million per year to Metro funding on March 7 on the condition that Maryland and D.C. also increase their contributions. Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) pledged $178 million per year in her State of the District address on March 15.

The decision was part of a negotiation between Virginia, Maryland and D.C.’s whereby each party would provide the $500 million that Metro’s leadership argued is necessary to make Metrorail a world-class system.

The funding will be used to combat longstanding failures within the Metro system by improving rail cars and buses, replacing older equipment and catching up on delayed repairs across the 50-year old system.

Nothing about funding for keeping it open later for special events (like playoff games) but you'd think at least some of that would be earmarked for that. It isn't as if Washington's a little, sleepy town like it used to be. I know consistent funding has long been a problem for the WMATA but we've got to be the only 4-team town that doesn't have special trains for major sporting events. 

Metro ... as in reference to the train/bus system ? 

They have always been in debt. 

Most of you folks don't even remember when it was less than a dollar to ride the bus and get a pass for around 35 bucks to ride the train all the time. 

They should have charged more then.  

7 hours ago, zskins said:

So it was being discussed on the radio today to sit down Burakovsky and put Walker in instead. Apparently Burakovsky has become a liability. Thoughts?

He wasn’t as effective last game as when he first came back.  Hard to tell if it’s a one game thing or not.

17 hours ago, dcdiscokid said:

And it's only $100,000, I mean he can certainly afford it... I cant imagine why they arent the ones who should be paying for it to stay open.

I agree - it seems like a no-brainer for the owner of the team (or Hell, Snyder to gain some positive PR and support another local team) to pay for this. Why was it going to take a random Middle Eastern country????

Not to mention SEPTA in Philly, the Chicago Transit Authority, and the New York Subway have 24-hour services (either rail, bus, or both). Is D.C. still not "there yet" as a city? 

Also - we might need to start a "Metro Thread" before too long. 

we either take a commanding 3-1 lead tonight (which i feel like we deserve after the first 2 games), or make it tied 2-2, have to start all over with a best of 3, and those 2 dominating games meant nothing.

i'd say this game is pretty important tonight

Re: Metro.  Yeah it does seem like it closes a bit early.  24 hour service like New York or Chicago is a major stretch.  But it seems like most other systems keep the trains open until at least midnight, such as San Francisco and Boston.

Edit: apparently, this was done before, in 2012.  Granted this was a 3OT game.   They claim approximately $30k per hour, minus any additional revenue earned. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/capital-games/Keeping-Metro-Open-Extra-Hour-Will-Cost-Caps--150151285.html

46 minutes ago, zskins said:

Tonight's the night......

To go to my local bar and watch with friends and get drunk. :)

Enjoy it, win or lose!! We're playin with house money anyway, nobody expected a ECF run... 

re: Backstrom, they said he participated in line rushes and practiced with PP1, so I think he's in unless he started hurting after practice.. 

Archived