Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN will be doing a 30 for 30 on the 87 Redskins

Warhead36

That Monday night game at Dallas gonna be highlighted for sure, still remember it vividly. For guys knowing this is probably their crowning moments, they played their guts out against a far more talented team. Huge game to

Actually if you guys want to see it before it is shown on ESPN (whenever that will be), the film is being screened at the AFI Documentary festival in Washington DC in June (it's stated in that article but you have to read down a little). It is the closing film of the festival and will be shown at the Newseum. You can purchase tickets here: http://silver.afi.com/Browsing/Movies/Details/m-0100001414 

The Opening and Closing films this year are both sports films, I'll be seeing both (plus a lot of other films that week/weekend.) Here is a description of both films: http://blog.afi.com/here-are-the-afi-docs-2017-opening-night-and-closing-night-films/. The Opening film was purchased by Netflix for a ton of money (for a documentary) and will released on there at some point this year.

The Closing Night screening of YEAR OF THE SCAB will be held on June 18 at the Newseum and will feature a Q&A with director Dorsey. His film chronicles the 1987 NFL strike and the Washington Redskins’ team of substitute players who overcame tremendous odds in order to defeat the best teams in the NFL. The perseverance of these players ultimately led the Washington Redskins to victory and helped end the strike.

Tickets to AFI DOCS, including Opening Night and Closing Night screenings, will be available early to AFI members exclusively beginning May 11, and to the public on May 15. Passes for AFI DOCS 2017 are now on sale. More information about AFI DOCS screenings and other special events will be announced soon.

I was thinking a lot of Skins fans might be at the screening.

This is so f'n cool.  I loved that team.  Every time I see The Replacements I think of them.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Legacy-1987-Replacement-Team/10c19faf-4e95-4111-839e-1696146aac7a

Suddenly, obscure names represented the burgundy and gold.  They included quarterbacks Ed Rubbert and Tony Robinson, wide receiver Anthony Allen, running backs Lionel Vital and Wayne Wilson, tight ends Craig McEwen and Joe Caravello, punt returner Derrick Shepard, offensive linemen Darrick Brilz and Eric Coyle, and defensive linemen Dan Benish and Steve Martin.  Allen, McEwen, Caravello and Shepard were among those who later made the regular roster.

Dallas played with a host of regulars who’d crossed the picket line, including future Hall of Famers in running back Tony Dorsett and defensive tackle Randy White.  The Redskins, on the other hand, were the only NFL team where no players crossed during the replacement series.

When Rubbert went down in the first quarter with an injured shoulder, things looked bleak for the Redskins.  But Robinson, a Heisman Trophy candidate during his days at Tennessee who was on a work furlough from prison after a cocaine conviction, filled in admirably with 11-of-18 passing for 152 yards with two interceptions.

By the time it was over, no team better exemplified the bittersweet experience of the replacement series than the Redskins.  In fact, a movie modeled after the replacement team’s remarkable run hit the screens in 2000.  Its name: “The Replacements.”

:229:The Rook

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Bonez3 said:

That Monday night game at Dallas gonna be highlighted for sure, still remember it vividly. For guys knowing this is probably their crowning moments, they played their guts out against a far more talented team. Huge game to

I was there. My first ever Redskins game. I was 10 years old.

From a Wash Post article in 2012:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-1987-replacement-star-tony-robinson-just-happy-to-be-out-of-jail/2012/10/18/a50d688e-17ce-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_story.html?utm_term=.5039e08627e7

It was the first time since 1966 that the stadium was not sold out for a Redskins game, but it was a huge throng compared to crowds in pro-union cities such as Philadelphia (4,074) and Detroit (4,919).

...keep claiming that sell streak Danny...despite this and what we can see with our own eyeballs on Sunday.

Sept 2 1988 Wash Post:

One year ago Anthony Allen, Eric Coyle, Steve Gage and Craig McEwen were four guys waiting for the phone to ring. All had been cut by NFL teams, but none was quite ready to give up his dream.

Within weeks, courtesy of the players' strike, they were in business. Now, with the start of the 1988 season just days away, business is booming.

Allen, Coyle, Gage and McEwen are active members of the Washington Redskins. The real Washington Redskins, who are preparing to play the real New York Giants Monday night at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J-not the replacement Redskins who last year went to New Jersey and routed the replacement Giants, 38-12.

"You can't consider that playing against an NFL team-no way," said McEwen, an H-back who, despite starting the three replacement games last year, believes he is making his "first NFL start" Monday night. …

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1988/09/02/replacement-redskins-taste-the-real-thing/2c92d0b7-e934-442f-ad53-e70ead1fe9a7/?utm_term=.06a90cf8b5f9

....did not know the McEwen beat out Didier for a roster spot in 1988...

Going to the Strike game at RFK was an experience.  We had to walk through a picket line of fan supporters screaming at us and calling us "scabs".  One lady was yelling "we got the Skins and you got the scabs", I told that I had the scabs and she had nobody.  I went to every home game that year including the SB.  

On 5/30/2017 at 1:57 PM, MarkB452 said:

Bostic's rant about Brilz cracks me up.  Brilz had a pretty good game against Randy White.  White was credited with one sack.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198710190dal.htm

Every time I watch that episode I cringe during his interviews. He comes off horribly in my opinion. I would have rather had Ricky Sanders!

On 5/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, The Rook said:

This is so f'n cool.  I loved that team.  Every time I see The Replacements I think of them.

I loved that team and the mayhem the Scabs played through and I am certainly looking forward to this documentary. But you actually have watched the Replacements more than...twice?

Great article here from SI (2015):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/04/washington-redskins-scabs-super-bowl-xxii

...includes some good stories and stuff about the 1987 replacements....

On the Dallas game:

White was frustrated because he kept getting knocked on his ass. He couldn’t believe it.”

“ ‘Too Tall’ Jones might’ve thought he’d be walking all over some player who wasn’t good enough to make the league,” says Casserly. “In fact, he was dealing with Willard Scissum, who stood in the door of that 7-Eleven every night in southeast D.C. Willard was used to tough situations. He shut Too Tall down that night. It was something to see.”

20 hours ago, KingGibbs said:

Must see TV. Anyone know when it will air? Can't locate it.

I don't think they've announced it yet. My guess is it'll be sometime in the fall during the season. 30 for 30s tend to try to air their docs in accordance with the time period of when it happened(so like college basketball ones will air during March, World Series ones during October, etc.).

Archived